HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2009, 08:24 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
Oh yeah got a few sets of BVM Brakes and wheels for the various kit's, and they are awesome gear without a doubt, not to mention compared to other stuff out there ahead of the weight curve. and yeah dead with ya there about brakes! I think no plane should be without brakes! never know when a guy landing behind you doesn't have them and ya need stop start control in an instant. And yeah was general for sure, cause it is just a good general guide line not to go overboard with heavy machined wheels and big versus "just" brakes. And spark isnt too bad weight wise, but the an over done set of brakes and wheels for sure can push it from being a 11.5 to 12 range into 13 plus country real fast.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:39 PM
Los Gatos Airport
California
Joined Aug 2008
115 Posts
The brakes on my Spark have paid for themselves on two landings, they are insurance.
JimPatrick is offline Find More Posts by JimPatrick
Old Jul 29, 2009, 03:21 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
I got all the parts in today.
Tomorrow start the assemble and hope get some out by end the day.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Jul 29, 2009, 04:36 AM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,700 Posts
COOL TAM!!!
Mine's belly-up waitin on it's new gear!

Harry
harrymc is online now Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:45 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,654 Posts
Hi Harry,
My stupid Nextel BlackBerry just beeped and said I had 5 new voice messages. I checked them and 2 were from you! But they are 2 weeks old! Can I call you sometime today?
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:57 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
Yay!! Finally, some springy legs for my Spark!
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2009, 01:47 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Joined Nov 2004
1,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
Hi Harry,
My stupid Nextel BlackBerry just beeped and said I had 5 new voice messages. I checked them and 2 were from you! But they are 2 weeks old! Can I call you sometime today?
Actually, it's closer to 4 weeks!
I know you're busy so call me anytime.

Harry
Old Jul 29, 2009, 03:10 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Yay!! Finally, some springy legs for my Spark!
Yup, you get a set and brake......
Old Jul 30, 2009, 01:59 AM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
Joined Nov 2004
1,700 Posts
Guys,
This question may belong in another thread, but since it pertains to my Spark, I'll ask it here.
There's a lot of talk about "conditioning" new lipo batteries but opinions vary. I'd like to hear from as many of you as willing, as to your methods of conditioning new lipo packs. Obviously with the high cost of larger packs, I'd like to maximize the life and power of these packs. Thanks also for the replies on the reciever battery question, that was good stuff!

Tam,
What's the exit size on your thrust tube on your new Spark?

Thanks all,

Harry
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:47 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymc
Guys,
This question may belong in another thread, but since it pertains to my Spark, I'll ask it here.
There's a lot of talk about "conditioning" new lipo batteries but opinions vary. I'd like to hear from as many of you as willing, as to your methods of conditioning new lipo packs. Obviously with the high cost of larger packs, I'd like to maximize the life and power of these packs. Thanks also for the replies on the reciever battery question, that was good stuff!

Tam,
What's the exit size on your thrust tube on your new Spark?

Thanks all,

Harry

Harry,
72-74mm is pretty much standard for TJ100.
If running the new 40C. I would only doing on 10s.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:57 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,249 Posts
Well the landing gear saga continues...

Went to the field today to test out the new gear and work on using the airbrake for slowing down my landings. Pre-flight check showed one of the mains sticking in the retracted position. I could move it forward and backward a bit and it would release. I was planning on practicing landings anyway so I just decided to leave them in the down position anyway and check out the sticking issue later. So, takeoff was uneventful although I did have to correct a bit with rudder while on the ground due to one gear having a bit of tow-out.

I made one slow circuit with the air brake fully extended to see how the handling is affected. Seemed ok so I came in for landing and was doing ok, had a bit of cross wind but had it lined up. In the last few feet (5-10) it just lost all lift and dropped. In spite of the claims that it will fly really slow, I guess I crossed that threshold. Damage is one sheered pin on a main, front bulkhead for the front gear is broken off. It appeared that it broke the wood, but mostly came loose from the fiberglass by braking the epoxy. So all in all it is an easy fix but I need to make sure the air brake servo isn't damaged from the belly flop. Also, the other main seems to have bent the sheer pin so it isn't lined up now. I will definitely have to get a handful of those pins. Not sure if I should continue trying the airbrake assisted landings or just get the wheel brakes working, land hot and apply air and wheel brakes upon touchdown.

Oh well, I better get to work.
techspy is online now Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:41 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
4,145 Posts
Techspy....bummer as they used to say. Hope you can fix the damage and get back in the air.

I got to say I fly my cheap Starfire with less wing area than the Spark(10s...TJ100) and I land without any airbrakes. I know the Starfire is not a Spark but I found if you come in on power and flat to the runway the plane would land fine.....plus I use no brakes. I guess most pilots don't like to come in a flat appraoch because you are hauling @ about three-four foot off the deck....cut the power and flare. Of course I do have a good sized paved field.

When you get that plane back together just go out and fly the hell out of it.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:43 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
Well the landing gear saga continues...

Went to the field today to test out the new gear and work on using the airbrake for slowing down my landings. Pre-flight check showed one of the mains sticking in the retracted position. I could move it forward and backward a bit and it would release. I was planning on practicing landings anyway so I just decided to leave them in the down position anyway and check out the sticking issue later. So, takeoff was uneventful although I did have to correct a bit with rudder while on the ground due to one gear having a bit of tow-out.

I made one slow circuit with the air brake fully extended to see how the handling is affected. Seemed ok so I came in for landing and was doing ok, had a bit of cross wind but had it lined up. In the last few feet (5-10) it just lost all lift and dropped. In spite of the claims that it will fly really slow, I guess I crossed that threshold. Damage is one sheered pin on a main, front bulkhead for the front gear is broken off. It appeared that it broke the wood, but mostly came loose from the fiberglass by braking the epoxy. So all in all it is an easy fix but I need to make sure the air brake servo isn't damaged from the belly flop. Also, the other main seems to have bent the sheer pin so it isn't lined up now. I will definitely have to get a handful of those pins. Not sure if I should continue trying the airbrake assisted landings or just get the wheel brakes working, land hot and apply air and wheel brakes upon touchdown.

Oh well, I better get to work.

You get it fix and fly again.

About the nose former broke off.
I had that happen before with the nose gear mount too solid.
That is why I refer to use the aluminum L-bracket. If any bad landing. The only damage is the L-bracket got bend. You just need to replace the L-bracket instead fixing the former.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:45 PM
Watt me worry?
Florida
Joined Mar 2006
4,145 Posts
Tam:
That is why I refer to use the aluminum L-bracket.

Good idea! Another reason to read these threads.....thanks.
Madmax1965 is offline Find More Posts by Madmax1965
Old Jul 30, 2009, 04:07 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,269 Posts
I'm surprised it stalled
I've had mine really slow... I better watch it
been pushing it a bit to see how slow it will fly

I only use the speed brake when the wind low.. maybe under 8 mph
if you have a head wind it's not needed

Ron