SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2009, 03:01 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
I just had one maiden flight.
The weight doesn't matter. Still plenty of verticle and top speed is still there.
No more swistling noise. It so clean. At 30% power ti cruise pretty good. I love the doors.
If I want to save weight. I be using 3850mAh.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2009, 03:56 PM
Neil Jarvis
Surrey U.K.
Joined Sep 2004
2,041 Posts
Tam, could you do a video so we can hear the difference
Thanks
Neil
Neil Guildford is offline Find More Posts by Neil Guildford
Old Jul 24, 2009, 04:27 PM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,692 Posts
Guys,
What size reciever packs are you using with the Spark? I was sent a TP2700-2SP30 with my Spark. It's working fine, but I'm still thinking it is unnecessarily large and heavy.

Harry
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Jul 24, 2009, 04:41 PM
Neil Jarvis
Surrey U.K.
Joined Sep 2004
2,041 Posts
2S 1550....could be 800 in my opinion.
Neil
Neil Guildford is offline Find More Posts by Neil Guildford
Old Jul 24, 2009, 04:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
355 Posts
Tam, get off your but and get down to LA , see you in a few hours or tomorrow morning.
EDF Dork is offline Find More Posts by EDF Dork
Old Jul 24, 2009, 04:53 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDF Dork
Tam, get off your but and get down to LA , see you in a few hours or tomorrow morning.

I still some work need to finish before I can go.
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Old Jul 24, 2009, 05:06 PM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,648 Posts
I still some work need to finish before I can go.

yes, you need to finishing building a set of your struts to work with my springair 301's.
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Video of my HK Cobra
Old Jul 24, 2009, 05:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2009
355 Posts
hahahaaa.... Yea Tam finish those bad boys off for kevin, and then get your bud down here.

Edit: I forgot to mention the green bottles.
EDF Dork is offline Find More Posts by EDF Dork
Last edited by EDF Dork; Jul 24, 2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 06:32 PM
Joined Sep 2005
53 Posts
800mah is okay. I am using 2 x 480mah 2s packs on a Powerbox sensor switch (gives some redundancy on the Rx.) I get 4 flights easy... I charge after 4 just because - I could likely go 6 and still be safe. Those are 5 min flights with all digital servos.

I am using around 80mah per flight.
crhammond is offline Find More Posts by crhammond
Old Jul 24, 2009, 06:47 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,254 Posts
I use 890 mah RX packs
I fly 4 flights no problem... I could fly 6
but like other just charge to be safe

Good job on the maiden Tam... can't wait to check it out
I don't think I'm going to make it to LA jets... wife got pissed
says it would be nice to have a weekend without me thinking about airplanes...lol.. but here I am on RC groups.... it's a sickness

sure is pretty down here... nice weather

Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jul 24, 2009, 06:51 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,592 Posts
Just think if she knew your planes cost more than her wedding ring!
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Jul 24, 2009, 06:53 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,508 Posts
I'll just throw this out there, only an observation, MMV, IMHO, etc. etc.

Battery capacity for normal receiver usage diring flights between recharges is just one thing to consider - Voltage stability in variable amp draw conditions, especially with 2.4Ghz systems, is quite another. It's always nice to have a receiver battery that can handle a stalled servo or momentarily kinked flight control without bringing down the radio link. Small rx batteries, while possibly being quite fine for normal conditions, may rapidy lose voltage under momentarily high amp loads. The Spark is the kind of airplane, especially if you have mechanical gear doors on sequencers or a high power system with high speeds, where all servos going all at once and then a small hickup adding system amp draw could overwhelm a small battery pack. What I mean is the Spark is a serious airframe capable of high airloads, putting high amp loads on the servos, has a high servo count, etc. There are many ways to shave weight in an EDF, but the RX battery is one area I (personally) don't try to get too stingy with. It's like the Jesus nut on a helicopter that holds on the rotor. Just one failure there, and it's all over except for the crying.

On my EDF's in the Spark's general size range (well smaller really) I have at minimum a 1500mah RX pack - something capable of delivering as much amp draw as the receiver can handle if there is a momentary hickup. Anything much bigger like A-4 size and I use 2 redundant A123 packs and a fail safe switch. A single A123, 2400mah pack would be fine for an A-4 EDF.

Again, that's just an observation. I've just seen too many radio failures of other folks where they had poor, or just inadequate RX batteries, and blamed it on the radio link (and it was not, it was clear the RX batt wasn't up to the task). Many more recent failures I've seen, or been told about by guys, featured 2.4 systems where a brown out was caused by not enough juice to the receiver under momentary high airloads and maneuvering. Some of these brown out issues have been solved or masked but the basic issue of amp load and voltage delivery from the rx pack still is valid and is still a potential trap.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2009, 08:39 PM
ohio
Joined Aug 1999
3,648 Posts
great post eddie. agreed. and i had a conversation on this topic today with someone in the radio transmission business.
kevin is offline Find More Posts by kevin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kevin; Jul 24, 2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 12:26 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,254 Posts
I know what your saying Eddie
but in my spark I'm running analog servos on the ail.,steering, speed brake.. thin digital on the ele., digital on the rudder..one micro for retracts and brakes... one 5:30 minute flight takes 80 mah out of the 2s 890 mah pack..
the packs is 7.4 volts with a 6v regulator.. I run futaba fasst 2.4 test have been done and the RX doesn't reset to a very low voltage....were talking 1.7 volts... something very massive would have to go wrong to pull it down that low... I hook the rx to my servo tester and cycled all the controls it never moved off 6v.... so I think anything more is overkill and dead weight
Tam has hundreds of flights with the setup on specturm... I have 14 on mine...
On a bigger plane like the A-4 I run two 2s 1350 mah with 6v regulators... 8 mid sized digitals and a heavier plane so it going to draw a bit more... but even it only takes 60 mah out of each pack per flight... I know the old school thinking but Tam has me convinced the spark just doesn't need a bigger pack... and this pack is feather light

but everyone has to run what makes them feel safe..

later
Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jul 25, 2009, 02:43 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin
great post eddie. agreed. and i had a conversation on this topic today with someone in the radio transmission business.
LOL!
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member