HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2002, 01:03 PM
TEAM LEWIS
Dallas, Texas
Joined Mar 2001
321 Posts
HOB Micro Cub, Best Covering material??

I'm just starting on the HOUSE OF BALSA micro Cub (for the Astroflight 010 DD).

Looking further into construction I'm wondering what covering others have used or would recommend for this plane.

I use LITESPAN on most of my parkflyers but want a more opaque (Scale) finish.

Would something like ULTRACOAT be too heavy??

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Harvey
harvey is offline Find More Posts by harvey
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2002, 08:38 PM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Take a look at Nelson Litefilm. Dreamer's beautiful Cessna 180 on floats was done that way.

David
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Old Nov 26, 2002, 09:20 PM
Joined Sep 2002
99 Posts
I have just finished my Micro Cub with Oracover Cub Yellow and let me tell you it's the greatest covering I have ever used! My last plane was covered in Solarfilm Lite and this is the last time I use that crap! Oracover goes on with low heat, sticks like the devil and is extremely easy to use! I can't rave enough about this covering! My Cub turned out great! When I figure out how to attach pictures I will send some I took last night. Oracover is the best!!!
ecost is offline Find More Posts by ecost
Old Nov 26, 2002, 09:53 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==Would something like ULTRACOAT be too heavy?? ==

There's really no reason to add that extra weight to your plane when you don't need to. Oracover and SoLite are both worth looking at and will save you weight over Ultracote.

I used to sing the praises of Oracover, until I discovered it weighs double what SoLite weighs. I'll tell you something else about Oracover, you can't keep it shrunk. I have to reshrink my Oracover planes every 2 weeks during flying season. It drives me crazy having wrinkles all over my planes, but they just keep coming back time and time again on the Oracover. I have even tried shrinking them with a heat gun, but still the covering loosens up after a few flights and wrinkles again.

SoLite on the other hand stays drum tight after shrinking. I used to shun it because it's more difficult to work with, but once you get used to it, it doesn't seem too bad. Plus the translucent colors don't stick to themselves as bad as the opaque colors do. Read Martin's massive covering thread for some great tips on using SoLite.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Nov 27, 2002, 08:57 AM
TEAM LEWIS
Dallas, Texas
Joined Mar 2001
321 Posts
Thanks for the replies,

I actually have a roll of yellow NELSON LITE FILM (I believe this is the same as SOLITE???).

I had purchased a roll of trans blue at the same time and did'nt have much luck.

I'll do a search on working with it and give it another try, as I really want to keep the model as light as possible.

Regards,
Harvey
harvey is offline Find More Posts by harvey