HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by kevinhines, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 07:04 PM
Robot, RC Pilot & Builder :-)
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,180 Posts
Discussion
Easy Star Biplane

Well, I finally built an EasyStar biplane which actually flies. My previous attempt didn't work, but this one does.

Getting the CG right, as well as reducing the cross-sectional area of the supports which connect the second wing to the first wing... these changes made all the difference.

And doing this for my ROG (roll off ground) EZ* makes it even more fun.

GingerAdam & MarkJayne, Thanks for the inspiration to build and fly an EZ* bipe!

And thanks also to my friend, MechRick, for teaching me RC flying, providing biplane engineering advice, and photography.

Clear Skies,
Kevin
kevinhines is offline Find More Posts by kevinhines
Last edited by kevinhines; Dec 02, 2007 at 03:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2007, 04:23 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Cool! I bet it floats for days, and will slow down to a crawl.
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Sep 13, 2007, 07:22 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge5foamy
Cool! I bet it floats for days, and will slow down to a crawl.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Yes, it does float and glide well.

This is my first biplane of any type. Although adding the second wing slows down the top speed of the aircraft (due to increased drag), it does float slowly quite well. And that's what I'm going for, nice and slow with plenty of lift.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:56 AM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,180 Posts
Added Struts to Reinforce Wings

I added more struts, in order to reinforce the wings, and they really stiffened up the "box".

Flew with the newly added struts, and the plane felt much more solid. It is slow with the biplane wings (as compared to flying it as a monoplane), but it just floats on and on.

Clear Skies,
Kevin

PS - With the added struts to hold the wings together, I now felt confident enough to do inside loops, and the EZ bipe did plenty of inside loops, with no unscheduled landings.

Also, I added two new pictures of the biplane with the new struts, in post # 1 of this thread.
Last edited by kevinhines; Sep 18, 2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:00 AM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Cool! I mighty try ths for a night flyer sometime.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:45 AM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
Hi Kevin, Your at it again thats some flying machine u got there !!!Had people look @ my house for 2nd. time ,maybe we'll fly together soon ...R.T.R. .................................................. .........................................PS say hi to S.M.L. for me.
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Sep 18, 2007, 05:41 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Cool! I mighty try ths for a night flyer sometime.
Wow, a "night flyer"... Do you add lights and simply fly at night, or is there more to it than that?

Sounds fun, plus one could get more flying time in too.

Clear Skies,
Kevin
Old Sep 18, 2007, 05:44 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
Hi Kevin, Your at it again thats some flying machine u got there !!!Had people look @ my house for 2nd. time ,maybe we'll fly together soon ...R.T.R. .................................................. .........................................PS say hi to S.M.L. for me.
Hi RTR, good to hear from you. Thanks, I'm glad you like my latest build.

I'm looking forward to flying together sometime. Will you be flying this weekend, perhaps at Green Hill? I may be able to get over there this weekend sometime.

Clear Skies,
Kevin
Old Sep 18, 2007, 05:53 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhines
Wow, a "night flyer"... Do you add lights and simply fly at night, or is there more to it than that?

Sounds fun, plus one could get more flying time in too.

Clear Skies,
Kevin
Yes, they put lights on the plane, and fly! There little single LED type lights you can buy that are made for night flying for about $4 each, but that is not alot of light. I prefer the light strands they use for the helis, it is a 1 meter long light rope, that can be put around a wing. You can even add more, and do the fuse, stabs, etc. One great thing about night flying, is there is usually little to no wind at night.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:05 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Yes, they put lights on the plane, and fly! There little single LED type lights you can buy that are made for night flying for about $4 each, but that is not alot of light. I prefer the light strands they use for the helis, it is a 1 meter long light rope, that can be put around a wing. You can even add more, and do the fuse, stabs, etc. One great thing about night flying, is there is usually little to no wind at night.
Wow, very cool. I've never heard of this. Please post a link to where to buy the light strands.

And do you have any pictures of a plane with the light rope, which you could post?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old Sep 18, 2007, 06:21 PM
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
I dont have an actual picture, but I posted a pic below of a plane on my simulator setup for nightflying that is completly outlined with lights!

You can get the lights,and driver here, http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...archTerm=light

You will need the driver(for sale at the link above) to run the lights. It will run 2 strands on 1 driver. You also need a small 2s Li-Po to powet it.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 11:21 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,180 Posts
Quote:
I dont have an actual picture, but I posted a pic below of a plane on my simulator setup for nightflying that is completly outlined with lights!

You can get the lights,and driver here, http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...archTerm=light

You will need the driver(for sale at the link above) to run the lights. It will run 2 strands on 1 driver. You also need a small 2s Li-Po to powet it.
Thanks!

Kevin
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:10 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhines
Hi RTR, good to hear from you. Thanks, I'm glad you like my latest build.

I'm looking forward to flying together sometime. Will you be flying this weekend, perhaps at Green Hill? I may be able to get over there this weekend sometime.

Clear Skies,
Kevin
KEVIN...Im still up here in N.Y.,be there as soon as we sell our house.Last night we got an offer on it,hope to bethere in a mo. if all goes well ...Old man winter is coming ,GOT to get out of here...R.T.R.
Old Sep 20, 2007, 10:35 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
Joined Jul 2006
4,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
KEVIN...Im still up here in N.Y.,be there as soon as we sell our house.Last night we got an offer on it,hope to bethere in a mo. if all goes well ...Old man winter is coming ,GOT to get out of here...R.T.R.
RTR, I used to live in Buffalo, NY; in Rochester, NY; in NJ near NYC; and in Massachusetts. I hope you have your winter survival gear ready, or that you sell your house before winter arrives. When I lived in upstate NY, in the Lake Effect area, there was a joke that there were two seasons, winter, and the third week of August.

I look forward to flying together, whenever we get the opportunity.

Wishing you Clear Skies (no snow, in this case),
Kevin

PS - I actually love snow, especially hiking in it; just not driving in it.
Old Sep 21, 2007, 03:07 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
Kevin...Went to the Rhinebeck Aerodrome 3 wks. ago had a blast ! Saturday the wind was 25 mph.+ saw 5 crashes that morning .Picked up a set of floats for my hanger 9... 40 size j-3 cub,getting ready( for LAKE LIFE ) ! See ya .......PS i HATE the snow,seen 59 years of it...R.T.R.