HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:56 PM
LAMA V4 & Honeybee FP FTW
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRetro
Don't think you are going to ease it into the air - no, you literally JUMP it into the air, just don't be scared! You need to apply a good amount of throttle to get it up, like 3/4 stick. Any less and it will just do as you saw, slide around and spin on the ground. Be prepared for it to move to it's left as it lifts up and off (this is normal). I usually set mine down in front of me and to the right, so when it lifts off it will be just in front of me (in theory anyway).

A 7x7 room is really asking for trouble, you'll be hitting anything and everything on your first tries. If you go outside, make sure it is pretty calm.
That's a great tip to know. I thought I could ease it up like my LAMA V4. I think I am getting it now, it JUMPS up! I'm gonna wait 'til it stops raining and then try it outside ASAP. I can't wait! My living room is actually quite large, it's like 16' x 30' but I have furniture all over it. And, I'd say the largest open flat area with no furniture is around 7' x 7'. I fly my Lama all over this room with ease.
blkdog7 is offline Find More Posts by blkdog7
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:29 PM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
I took the Honey Bee outside today and it was a total disaster. I have no concept of how to fly this thing. It's lunacy. And, I broke the landing gear. Go figure. Where do I start with this thing??? I had a few moments where it seemed like it was doing what I wanted but then it would crash. It was a bit breezy today. Maybe that wasn't a good idea. Could that be all it is? The wind? Also, the heli never goes straight up. It's always forward, backwards, left, or right as it is lifting. Is this normal!?

I really love my LAMA even more after this!!
Last edited by blkdog7; Sep 12, 2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:32 PM
Its not that windy...
United States, CA, PORTER RANCH
Joined May 2007
1,164 Posts
Well basically, wind will be your death. The slightest breeze will cause you to take a lot of controls to even do anything to fight it. I keep breaking my landing gear, super glue is fine. you shouldnt fly in wind unless you training gear or have good skills. You dont have the latter so you need the former. Unless you try to fly in no wind which is the only way you learn. Remember inputs must be small or basically, when you make inputs, as soon as you see it stop moving put the heli in a neutral position. That is how you learn, make it hover and make it STAY tail-in. It will help a lot. You should fly in a garage and stay off the ground about just below your head or even less, but no less than 2 feet. you will learn quickly, what you do is just fly until you see it move someway and counteract it. Hope you learn QUICKLY
aerosoardude is offline Find More Posts by aerosoardude
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:46 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
These don't fly them selves like your Lama (as you are finding out) so you have to constantly make slight moves with the sticks. I think you are over reacting when it starts to move, it's normal (we've all done it), you just need to settle down a little and make soft easy moves with the sticks and until you can hover in one spot don't get over about 3' up. Then if you do get out of control it won't fall so far yet you are out of the ground effects.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:47 PM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosoardude
Well basically, wind will be your death. The slightest breeze will cause you to take a lot of controls to even do anything to fight it. I keep breaking my landing gear, super glue is fine. you shouldnt fly in wind unless you training gear or have good skills. You dont have the latter so you need the former. Unless you try to fly in no wind which is the only way you learn. Remember inputs must be small or basically, when you make inputs, as soon as you see it stop moving put the heli in a neutral position. That is how you learn, make it hover and make it STAY tail-in. It will help a lot. You should fly in a garage and stay off the ground about just below your head or even less, but no less than 2 feet. you will learn quickly, what you do is just fly until you see it move someway and counteract it. Hope you learn QUICKLY
I had the training gear on. The thing that is driving me mad is that it will not go straight up. It's always sliding around or going in the wrong direction. I want it to go straight up like my LAMA V4 does. I own the LAMA, this thing OWNS ME!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:56 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
it wont go strait up, it just wont. you need to make it do what you want. It will skid to the left when you power it up, you will need to counter this, it will want to drift, you will need to counter that too.
It isnt ANYTHING like your Llama, it wont fly ANYTHING like your Llama.
You need to take it very slow, keep doing research on how RC helis act and try to learn from your mistakes, also try this, use both your finger and thumb on the sticks in a pinching action near the bottom of the sticks and try to control it that way.
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:57 PM
NYC, NY
Joined Jul 2007
1,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdog7
I own the LAMA, this thing OWNS ME!
Don't give up, I still feel the same way. I can make the LAMA go where I want, when I want, how I want. The HB seems like it's possessed, has a mind of it's own and goes where IT wants to go all the time. It's all practice, that's all. It's going to take some time, and you are going to break parts during that time. I've broke just about everything from flybars, paddle control frames, numerous skids, the tail boom once, canopy is a wreck, etc. The skill will come and you'll get it, keep at it!
MrRetro is offline Find More Posts by MrRetro
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:01 PM
expert crasher
Joined Aug 2007
144 Posts
Any chance you still have the flybar weights on? Delayed sliding around is one of the side-effects of having it.
crashduck is offline Find More Posts by crashduck
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:09 PM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashduck
Any chance you still have the flybar weights on? Delayed sliding around is one of the side-effects of having it.
The fly bar weights are still on. Should I pull them off? I thought that was supposed to make it easier to control?
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:12 PM
expert crasher
Joined Aug 2007
144 Posts
Take it off. It creates a delayed gyro movement thing that is not helpful. You'll notice a definate improvement in your flying without it!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:51 PM
Its not that windy...
United States, CA, PORTER RANCH
Joined May 2007
1,164 Posts
Is taking the the gyro movement going to make it make movements faster? doesnt that help it stay in one place for a while. I get 7 second hovers with my setup, i dont what that to go away.
aerosoardude is offline Find More Posts by aerosoardude
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:20 PM
expert crasher
Joined Aug 2007
144 Posts
I'm not sure if it's going to be noticably faster, but it will move more when you want it to move rather than have the gyro effect pull the heli all over the place. It doesn't seem to have that same stabilizing effect like in a coax.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:35 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
If you are moving the sticks too much already taking off the weights will just make it worse. It will respond faster to your inputs but it's easier to over correct then too. The reason they are there is to tame it down a little.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:56 PM
Ready For Your Fly!
Bothell, WA
Joined Aug 2007
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz
If you are moving the sticks too much already taking off the weights will just make it worse. It will respond faster to your inputs but it's easier to over correct then too. The reason they are there is to tame it down a little.
I agree. I took mine off, but am now thinking that I need to put them back on. Ever since I upgraded to the DD tail and Slo-Max, I cannot seem to fly it at all. I have trimmed and tracked until I am blue in the face, but the Heli is still possessed!
DeKuma is offline Find More Posts by DeKuma
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:01 PM
expert crasher
Joined Aug 2007
144 Posts
I guess it might depend from person to person, but for me, it's one of those... Whoa! I can actually control this thing now... With the weights, my heli's reaction felt delayed or out of control. Give it a try at least.

I can hover in one spot tail-in, side-in, nose-in btw, but not hands off (for more than a few seconds). My current setup is stock main motor with DD tail (installed a few days ago).
Last edited by crashduck; Sep 12, 2007 at 11:15 PM.