HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:14 AM
LAMA V4 & Honeybee FP FTW
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Discussion
Noob needs help with Honey Bee FP - please!

I just got my Mark 3 last night, it seems really cool so far.

Now, I have been a LAMA V4 user so this single rotor thing is new to me.

So far I have been trying to get the Honey Bee to just hover over my kitchen floor. When I start up the motor it shakes kind of crazily with the tail going up and down and hitting the ground (the little stop on the back of the tail hits the ground and keeps tapping the floor.) Is this normal? Do I need to give it more gas and then it will not do this? Should I not be doing this in my kitchen??

How I do start out with this thing? It seems sooooo different as compared to my V4.
blkdog7 is offline Find More Posts by blkdog7
Last edited by blkdog7; Sep 12, 2007 at 08:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:18 AM
NYC, NY
Joined Jul 2007
1,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkdog7
How I do start out with this thing? It seems sooooo different as compared to my V4.
It is VERY different. Make sure that your main blades are "advanced" slightly forward and are somewhat tight. Unlike the LAMA, whose blades would find their correct position after you spool up, the HB should be set there from the start.

There are a few more things, best bet is to read and print this page for more tips.

BTW - I hope your kitchen is at least 10' x 10', the HB will be a handful in a small area and you'll be crashing and breaking things alot. Do you have training gear?
MrRetro is offline Find More Posts by MrRetro
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:32 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Mine is just the opposite, I have to run my blades loose or it wobbles too. Try it both ways to see which works best. Also balance everything, the blades, the tail rotor blade the paddles and make sure the fly bar is centered in the head. I also have a very small area to hover in (less the 10' x 10') and I was hovering mine the first day once I balanced it and got it trimmed and for me REMOVING the training gear made it a lot easier to handle. The training gear makes it too slow to react to your commands. I'm not saying that is the best way, it was best for me though. Don't give up and take your time and you'll be hovering in no time and you'll be hooked.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:49 AM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
820 Posts
Make sure to look up RADDs also. Good tips on training. Also, remove the flybar weights. It'll make the response a little faster.
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Sep 11, 2007, 01:31 PM
Wetumpka, AL
Joined Jun 2007
141 Posts
Wow, no one has mentioned tracking? That is likely the problem. Hold the heli and spool it up. See if one blade is higher in the plane than the other. If so, shut the throttle, hold the higher blade at the head with one hand and use your other hand to twist the blade down and hold for about 5 seconds.
loganjw is offline Find More Posts by loganjw
Old Sep 11, 2007, 02:04 PM
St. Louis
Joined Aug 2007
127 Posts
Tracking and level swashplate is the key. I would keep the flybar weights on until you learn to fly it around or the sensitivity will surely send you into the ground and fast.
For the tracking, notice one blade has a white sticker on it. this is so you can tell which one to adjust, if the white one is below the black one then you will need to twist the white one so it generates more lift and tracks evenly with the black one. The book that comes with the FP illustrates this with pix. As for the swash plate, adjust the servo arm length to get it level. I figured this out after I ran out of trim travel on the Tx.
My bird still has a little vibration when spooling up but I can hover it finally and do some circuits around the yard. I am not good enough to fly it indoors yet, just the prop wash creates enough crosswind off the walls to push it far from stability.
Sethorus is offline Find More Posts by Sethorus
Old Sep 11, 2007, 02:19 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
extend the blades out into position, then with your fingertips support the heli by the blade tips and gently bounce the heli up and down, then advance the blades about 5 degrees and spool up slowly until you get to speed. If the blades are balanced and the flybar centered, it should spool up nicely with little vibration. the HBFP by nature vibrates a little.
Also, I agree, taking off the training gear made mine fly a lot better and removing the weights after you get used to it is a must.
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer
Old Sep 11, 2007, 06:49 PM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Well, it's definitely the blades. I straightened them out and the vibration has been reduced substantially.

The little rod that comes down off the end of tail is always touching the ground when the heli is not in flight. Is that normal? Shouldn't the tail be up a little more? It seems like the tail rotor is just missing the ground.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 07:01 PM
NYC, NY
Joined Jul 2007
1,800 Posts
Quote:
Well, it's definitely the blades. I straightened them out and the vibration has been reduced substantially.

The little rod that comes down off the end of tail is always touching the ground when the heli is not in flight. Is that normal? Shouldn't the tail be up a little more? It seems like the tail rotor is just missing the ground.
Without that rod, the tail motor blade would be HITTING the ground, not good!
Old Sep 11, 2007, 07:14 PM
NE Florida
Joined Dec 2006
107 Posts
Quote:

That rod is not a problem. They provide 1/2" to 3/4" clearance to prevent the tail blades from striking the ground when landing or taking off.

Also try losening the main rotor blade screws just a little. This will allow the blades to swing into the correct position when spooling up. After you start flying outside FF or in a mild breeze you'll need to tighten the blades back up. But by then you'll know the correct blade position to keep it from vibrating. I think having the blades a little loose also reduced some of the breaking during impacts. But that might not be the case.

Like some others have said I think a kitchen would be a tough place to practice in .. I flew in my garage and had 8 x 12 area and still did a lot of banging around. I left the flybar weights on for the first 20 or so battery packs and then removed them to improve response. I never used the training gear. YMMV

Enjoy!!!!

DobsOnly
DobsOnly is offline Find More Posts by DobsOnly
Old Sep 11, 2007, 07:46 PM
Its not that windy...
United States, CA, PORTER RANCH
Joined May 2007
1,164 Posts
i keep mine supertight but in the event of ANY crash, it will immideatly break off. Well, then it isnt supertight but i keep it so the air cannot move them and they dont move themselves in there place. So i do it by eye. And it works real well, i can hands off for almost 7 seconds!!
aerosoardude is offline Find More Posts by aerosoardude
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:33 PM
New England, USA!
Joined Aug 2007
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosoardude
i keep mine supertight but in the event of ANY crash, it will immideatly break off. Well, then it isnt supertight but i keep it so the air cannot move them and they dont move themselves in there place. So i do it by eye. And it works real well, i can hands off for almost 7 seconds!!
I can't get this thing to lift off of the ground. It just uncontrollably slides around all over the place. Man, my LAMA V4 was sooo much easier!

I'm gonna have to take it outside - when it stops raining. The largest open area inside my home with no furniture, etc. is like 7' x 7'!
Last edited by blkdog7; Sep 11, 2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:48 PM
Its not that windy...
United States, CA, PORTER RANCH
Joined May 2007
1,164 Posts
what you should do is tighten it so its somewhat difficult to move and move it until you see it balance, try everything to make it work.
aerosoardude is offline Find More Posts by aerosoardude
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:44 PM
NYC, NY
Joined Jul 2007
1,800 Posts
Quote:
I can't get this thing to lift off of the ground. It just uncontrollably slides around all over the place.
Don't think you are going to ease it into the air - no, you literally JUMP it into the air, just don't be scared! You need to apply a good amount of throttle to get it up, like 3/4 stick. Any less and it will just do as you saw, slide around and spin on the ground. Be prepared for it to move to it's left as it lifts up and off (this is normal). I usually set mine down in front of me and to the right, so when it lifts off it will be just in front of me (in theory anyway).

A 7x7 room is really asking for trouble, you'll be hitting anything and everything on your first tries. If you go outside, make sure it is pretty calm.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:55 PM
cat herder
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2005
247 Posts
What works for me

I too have my blades loose and it works fine. I believe the most painless way is to practice over grass when the wind is calm, at least in the beginning. As you get more experience it WILL become easier. I know because I've really thrown mine around learning and it is easy to repair when something does break. If you fly in the house or over hard surfaces your parts count will go up. If you can afford it, buy a bare bones version for $35 and rob it for spares as you need them. Try to order the parts you need to keep your throw-down complete though.
jimmycashley is offline Find More Posts by jimmycashley