HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2007, 08:07 PM
Joined Nov 2006
359 Posts
Discussion
next noob ? - which foam to buy from lowes/home depot

i went to lowes and home depot to buy my first chunk of flat foam. came home empty handed and very dejected.

home depot - 2 foot tall stack of 1/4" flat foam, pink color (gross), cost $10-15, don't remember exactly, total of 100 feet i think - don't remember the maker/brand, but i got scared off by the pink color, and very cheap cost for so much quantity (surprised i would get so much for that cheap) and thought it may be wrong.

link below to exact stuff:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...egoryID=503272

next stop, lowes - blue flat foam, made by DOW, i think, only 50 feet = 1 foot tall stack of flat pieces, but somewhat damaged and mangled on the edges from handling and old age, and appeared a little warped from the strapping tape and old age, like a grade B piece of plywood. again, got scared off cause it didn't say 'blucor' and it was much more expensive $35, and i wasn't sure if the warping was bad, and if it was the right stuff.

below is a link to similar type stuff at lowes, but instead the stuff i saw was bundled into many sheets of 2 by 4 foot sections, and thinner 1/4", which i think is the preferred size thickness

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...348&lpage=none

any way, i'm back to clueless. suggestions? help?
pairadocs is offline Find More Posts by pairadocs
Last edited by pairadocs; Sep 10, 2007 at 08:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2007, 08:09 PM
VBARRRR
USA, CA, San Bruno
Joined Jul 2007
2,502 Posts
both of them are good candidates

i personally use the pink one, because i'm lazy and i never sand down anything from blue core unless it came under 1/2 inch thick ^_^
brian94066 is offline Find More Posts by brian94066
Old Sep 10, 2007, 08:22 PM
Norfolk, Va
Joined May 2006
2,263 Posts
The blue stuff at Lowes is "Protection Board". I've used it, still have some left from my original bundle.
At least half of it seems to be warped, Same with all the other bundles I've seen there.
I take a look whenever I'm there to see if there's an unwarped bundle.
From reading the old post when people built from real blu-core it seemed some of the people building with it peeled the skin off at least on one side.

From what I've seen of the pink foam I've seen at Home Depot, and the one sheet I was given at a "fly-in". It's denser, feels more brittle, and the skin on one side is fiber reinforced. It also seems heavier.

I've learned to work with the warps building fuselages where the warp runs lengthwise, almost unnoticeable, or using the warped parts for internal bracing.
fr4nk1yn is offline Find More Posts by fr4nk1yn
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:01 PM
Blue Collar DLG Marshall
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jun 2007
1,866 Posts
I dropped you a PM but just to mention I am on my second bundle of protection board. I don't know any different but I am very happy building with the protection board.
Double Pappa is offline Find More Posts by Double Pappa
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:11 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
The PB3 works great. And don't worry about the warping. By the time you cut the stuff, glue it together, tape/skewer or otherwise reinforce the warp disappears. The only place it may matter is in a flat airfoil wing, but the stuff in the center of the bundle tends to be staight. A clothes iron on the LOWEST setting will flatten it out, too, and add a bit of stiffness.

If you go pink make sure it's the 1/4" and mot the 3/8" stuff. The 3/8" pink is heavy and brittle.
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Sep 11, 2007, 05:12 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,455 Posts
pairadocs,

Below is a copy of a post I put in your other thread, guessed you missed it...

>>>cut-n-paste<<<< by gramps...

Yes Lowes blue fanfold works OK, 5X5, 10-4, good stuff, it has only one side with ‘skin’. Some times half inch 3M glass packing tape is used on side without skin if extra stiffness is required on wings. Bamboo skewers, arrow shaft and carbon fiber work too.

!! >IF< you MUST cut carbon fiber do so under running water with handsaw!!
!! DO NOT inhale dust or get splinter under skin!!

The pink fanfold from Home Depot in Middletown works too, although its a tad lighter, also less stiff than blue from Lowes.

Allied Builders at Easton (410-822-8222) has two-side-skin (both sides skinned) blue fanfold. Product number 69380020 priced about same, better quality and stiffer than Lowes.

Hot melt glue works best for me. I use nothing else on fanfold. Not the lightest ‘glue’ out there but definitely one of the quickest…. USE IT SPARINGLY. Get a dual temp ‘mini’ (0.28 inch) from dollar store or JoeAnn Fabric, some Wal-Mart stock it. Some brands sticks are lighter than others. At high stress joints, use round tooth pick poke holes through sink (not too deep, don’t create a ‘cut’ line, place holes inch or two apart) drop of hot glue on each hole joins pieces >and< keeps skin from separating. Then >IF< more strength is required lay in a very lite, shallow “bead” (like welders use on right angle joints) wet finger and smooth while warm.

EPP is different critter altogether…

Gramps

p.s. Edit / RE: paint, craft store $0.78 acrylic, brush straight or spray cut 50% blue windex. Force dry with small heat gun.
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Old Sep 11, 2007, 06:26 AM
Joined Nov 2006
359 Posts
Gramps,

thanks for the help, i missed your report in the other thread. that is a big help above.

gramps, where are you located? sounds like we are neighbours. where do you fly?

Bob
Old Sep 11, 2007, 06:26 AM
NY State
Joined Jan 2007
2,833 Posts
Since blucor is basically impossible to buy, next best is protection board III from lowes. I bought a bundle in great shape and it's been great to build with. Only issue I've noticed is gluing two pieces together for a large fuse, the waves have to pressed down so in my case I put books and over 300 lbs of dumbells to flatten them out, but this is extreme and not needed in most applications.
JWilliams2 is offline Find More Posts by JWilliams2
Old Sep 11, 2007, 07:41 AM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,455 Posts
pairadocs,

Flew RT18 Park from ’82 thru ‘95
Then Ridgley Air Park couple years
Then Sand Town couple years
Dropped out altogether couple years
Discovered RCGgroups Nov 06
Today, fly at son-in-law’s three acre plot backed up to sketty-eight hundred acre farm :>)
Only draw back at this site,
goose season starts soon,
some of these guys like it ‘real’ quite with absolutely no commotion AND carry big dethermalizers Done that too.

Sniffing bluefoam dust is more addictive than nitro … cleaner too!
Foam builds quickly;
I averaged three balsa models a year…
Now I can do three blue foamies a week!!!

Gramps
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:26 AM
Joined Nov 2006
359 Posts
ooooopppppssss

i may have made a mistake in my first foam acquisition - i didn't realize til i got home that i got pink 3/8" foam. In my haste to get to the next step of building, i went to home depot and grabbed a bundle.

Is this going to be to thick for flat 3d foamy style builds?

Gramps - that place in easton is too far, but nice to know of.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:21 AM
Joined Mar 2006
927 Posts
I've made several planes from 3/8" foam with great success. You can lighten the wings and fuse by cutting out panels and covering them with adhesive film.
Will Rock is offline Find More Posts by Will Rock
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:28 AM
Joined Nov 2006
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Rock
I've made several planes from 3/8" foam with great success. You can lighten the wings and fuse by cutting out panels and covering them with adhesive film.
that's a great idea, thanks. i may reserve that for when i am a more accomplished foam former