HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2008, 04:03 PM
quick, stretch into a monster!
Everett, WA
Joined Apr 2007
978 Posts
build an LA stick!! it's a scratch build but what the hell! they fly AWESOME! i wanna build one really bad... lol.
Mr.Me is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Me
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2008, 04:19 PM
Pirkkala, Finland
Joined Jan 2005
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Me
build an LA stick!! it's a scratch build but what the hell! they fly AWESOME! i wanna build one really bad... lol.
Now here's the funny part. I've got two of those little engines and am already building an LAStick. I just don't think that'll count as a conversion.
Jupeli is offline Find More Posts by Jupeli
Old Mar 30, 2008, 04:29 PM
quick, stretch into a monster!
Everett, WA
Joined Apr 2007
978 Posts
build an LA stick anyway lol. hey would you mind possibly maybe parting with one of those engines? =D
Mr.Me is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Me
Old Mar 30, 2008, 04:35 PM
Pirkkala, Finland
Joined Jan 2005
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Me
build an LA stick anyway lol. hey would you mind possibly maybe parting with one of those engines? =D
I'll be building planes for both of them but hey, there's plenty of fish in the sea. Just put an ad to the FS/W-area, that's how I get mine. (There were more offers than just this one.) Also, Select Hobbies has them for $49,95 but you'll get one cheaper from the FS/W -area or Ebay.

By the way, these things are great for some really light setups. My setup: The Pee Wee, a single cell Kokam 145mAh LiPo, two HXT500 5-gram servos and a Corona 4-channel RX - They weigh just 45 grams! Now that's the way I like it.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:32 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,781 Posts
earlyrcmodels.com has some old kits for .020 I think. Also check out Dumas kits, they have some nice scale planes that build really easy and light.

I'd say nothing over 8oz. AUW for the .020.
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Mar 31, 2008, 06:52 PM
MRD
MR DAD
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Joined Feb 2005
254 Posts
Wattage crazy 8 with a osla15. My favorite little plane. Ap o9 hornet on a old formosa flies great. A osla15 on a mini ultra stick with a 4 0z tank will fly a loooong time. Osla 10 on a e starter with floats is sweet. Have a older e starter with twin electric set up still in the box. Need to see what will fit. Glow and foam seem to mix well. Have a taylor craft in the mail going to have fun with this one.
MRD is offline Find More Posts by MRD
Old Apr 01, 2008, 10:03 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,781 Posts
Sounds like you have a heck of a fleet!

Twin .061s (throttled) on that twin E-Starter sounds sweet!

Most origional R/C planes from Cox and Estes and Kyosho were foam airframes with wings covered with stickers for added regidity. Fuel doeant hurt foam, but it will turn it the color of fuel your using
Old Apr 06, 2008, 08:48 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Dec 2001
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptabl
Why would you downgrade to glow? Glow may still have an advantage in larger size models for now. In smaller sized models electric is much better.
I upgrade from electric to glow in small models because I can get more power and flight time from small glow engines than from electric. I can fly a plane with a small glow motor 5-10 times on 10 oz of fuel. No wait for the battery to charge, no EXPENSIVE Li Poly battery pack or packs, no risk of fire from the Li Polly battery pack after damage or charging.

I really like the # of small planes out there for electric power, they are very easy to convert to glow.

Ralph
Ralph78 is offline Find More Posts by Ralph78
Old Apr 06, 2008, 09:56 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,781 Posts
I think you speek for most of us, Ralph. Yeah, they are noisy and greasy, but thats made up for in flight time, weight savings, and too many other things to list.
Old Apr 07, 2008, 06:09 AM
Zagreb, CROATIA
Joined Jun 2002
133 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with HOB Me-109? Would OSLA .15 be to much, I don't think so (max stock recommended is .10)?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=000728485&Q=1
borisp is offline Find More Posts by borisp
Old Apr 07, 2008, 10:38 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,781 Posts
No, a .15 would not be too much, i'd say it would help it fly better!
Old Apr 07, 2008, 10:43 PM
MRD
MR DAD
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Joined Feb 2005
254 Posts
You cannot beat the price of the osla15 engine. I remove the center baffle of the exhaust manifold and cut the bolt off for a little extra power. Just a wee bit louder. I bet that me 109 will be sweet with the 15. I will be attempting a repower of my formosa from the ap09 to a la15.
MRD is offline Find More Posts by MRD
Old Apr 21, 2008, 04:43 AM
Jacksonville, AR
Joined Mar 2008
33 Posts
I too am working on a glow conversion. Except mine wasn't electric to start out with. I am using a free-flying glider that I will strap my 049 on to.
Will the fuel hurt the foam? I don't care about the color changing. I just don't want to be flying and the engine fall off in mid flight due to melted foam from the fuel.
I am using a very large prop. I am in the middle of getting everything ready for testing(engine wise).
I know using this large prop, when I wind the prop up(with spring starter) and let go of it, it puts out some nice thrust just from spinning the prop.
jpilkinton is offline Find More Posts by jpilkinton
Old Apr 21, 2008, 08:22 AM
Pirkkala, Finland
Joined Jan 2005
560 Posts
I dunno... I just don't like the sound of "I am using a very large prop." when talking about a .049. A 6x3 would be a good choice.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
Jacksonville, AR
Joined Mar 2008
33 Posts
Yeah, I don't know if the large prop is going to work.
I figured since I had a few of these laying around from another plane, I would at least try these and see if the 049 can handle it. I may have to put a supercharger on it!
I will begin testing this weekend. Still working on the test stand and muffler.

I am not looking for speed, I want it to be slow, stable, and able to pull the plane's weight with good thrust.
jpilkinton is offline Find More Posts by jpilkinton