SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:49 AM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
167 Posts
e-flight fun

The edge is done. I plan to have pictures and video soon. Next project is the new eflight pitts with a 40 4 stroke. BTW the edge is awesome really light even with a magnum 30 4 stroke in it.
bebopgolf is offline Find More Posts by bebopgolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2007, 01:29 PM
grant me the serenity....
philly
Joined Feb 2007
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopgolf
The edge is done. I plan to have pictures and video soon. Next project is the new eflight pitts with a 40 4 stroke. BTW the edge is awesome really light even with a magnum 30 4 stroke in it.
Yes, pictures please, close-ups of any firewall modifications and any details about any problems you ran into. I have the same plane sitting in the box and I have a hankering to convert it to glow. I vote we start a elec. to glow conversion area here on RCG.
avocado flyer is offline Find More Posts by avocado flyer
Old Nov 29, 2007, 07:28 PM
Joined Mar 2004
272 Posts
My conversions include the following:
Vintage pattern plane (don't recall name) w/norvel .074
Wattage powered glider(don't recall name) w/norvel .049
Wattage Giles 202 w/norvel .074
Wattage Pitts Special w/norvel .074
GP EP Lancair w/ OS FS .20 4 stroke
Dynamic Pylon Racer w/norvel .061
Alexis_Ruiz is offline Find More Posts by Alexis_Ruiz
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:20 PM
feel no remorse
underground
Joined Jun 2004
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptabl
Why would you downgrade to glow? Glow may still have an advantage in larger size models for now. In smaller sized models electric is much better.
I agree with him, small size parkflyers and even largel electric models are hundreds of time more practical to a non electric glow powered model in same size and power range. Electric is the way of the future and its only a matter of time until all people realize this and find other great alternatives besides using any liquid fuels.

There is an old saying that goes like this "Dont be a gashole fly electric" thats my opinion.

Tom
youth must fly is offline Find More Posts by youth must fly
Old Dec 03, 2007, 03:55 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
167 Posts
herr little extra video

Little Extra (3 min 22 sec)
bebopgolf is offline Find More Posts by bebopgolf
Old Dec 03, 2007, 04:58 PM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
"gashole"?...you've go to be kidding me! I've flown electrics for 4 years now and I'm overjoyed to be moving to glow. No more $60 batteries or fried ESC's. No more waiting for charging. No more worries about flaming lipos.

Maybe you should move your comments to the watthole forum.
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Dec 03, 2007, 06:40 PM
grant me the serenity....
philly
Joined Feb 2007
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerhill
"gashole"?...you've go to be kidding me! I've flown electrics for 4 years now and I'm overjoyed to be moving to glow. No more $60 batteries or fried ESC's. No more waiting for charging. No more worries about flaming lipos.

Agreed, I started electric and still have and enjoy a bunch of elec. planes and helicopters, however, I recently discovered glow and enjoy them very much for the same reasons.

Youth, I agree that elec is the way of the future in most aspects of our lives however, this is a hobby and they generally are not about effeciency or practicallity, rather, what gives us pleasure in our spare time. I have been looking through the micro section and I'm very interested in the solar, sub-gram planes, I'm currently looking at some solar panels to use to charge my field batteries, and even considering a solar panel array for my townhouse but as far as the majority of my hobby aircraft I will gladly burn up all the glow fuel the weather will allow.

Oh..and do the elec. forum guys know you've been hanging out here
avocado flyer is offline Find More Posts by avocado flyer
Old Dec 03, 2007, 07:41 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerhill

A classic retort! Why the open and vitriolic disdain for recips, anyway? Can't these electronheads see we're having FUN?

I think large electrics are b-o-r-i-n-g, myself.

Still laughing here,

dgliderguy (who will probably never go above 3s in electrics).
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Dec 03, 2007, 08:26 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by youth must fly
There is an old saying that goes like this "Dont be a gashole fly electric" thats my opinion.

Tom
Well, Tom, I grew up flying Nitro. I've still got my first 1/2A powered Q-Tee hanging on the wall right in front of me. Electric may here to stay, but it will never replace glow-power! Considering the cost of EP, I, just gliderguy, will probably never go above a 3S pack either - yes I have an EP, a Fancy Foam SU-29.

For those of us who really enjoy 1/2A, there is something about scratch building your own plane, working on your .049 getting it running like a screaming banshee, and watching your hand built creation take to the sky. I fly from 1/2 to .61 power on a pipe - with more .61 than anything else, but will soon to be adding a .91 fuel guzzler this winter. The expense to fly this size plane in electric would be prohibitive, and it will take a long time in the cost of fuel to make up the for the cost of batteries, chargers able to handle those batteries, and other equipment required. For nitro I can use all the same equipment I've collected over the years except the fuel for 1/2A which is much higher nitro than the rest of the engines use.

For those who fly EP only, this a form of the hobby they'll never get to experience or enjoy. If you don't care for the nitro aspect of flying 1/2A then I would suggest you visit the electric forums and leave the real powerplants for those who enjoy the music a well tuned engine can make.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Dec 04, 2007, 06:57 AM
Singapore
Joined Jun 2007
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogflyer
Well, Tom, I grew up flying Nitro. I've still got my first 1/2A powered Q-Tee hanging on the wall right in front of me. Electric may here to stay, but it will never replace glow-power! Considering the cost of EP, I, just gliderguy, will probably never go above a 3S pack either - yes I have an EP, a Fancy Foam SU-29.

For those of us who really enjoy 1/2A, there is something about scratch building your own plane, working on your .049 getting it running like a screaming banshee, and watching your hand built creation take to the sky. I fly from 1/2 to .61 power on a pipe - with more .61 than anything else, but will soon to be adding a .91 fuel guzzler this winter. The expense to fly this size plane in electric would be prohibitive, and it will take a long time in the cost of fuel to make up the for the cost of batteries, chargers able to handle those batteries, and other equipment required. For nitro I can use all the same equipment I've collected over the years except the fuel for 1/2A which is much higher nitro than the rest of the engines use.

For those who fly EP only, this a form of the hobby they'll never get to experience or enjoy. If you don't care for the nitro aspect of flying 1/2A then I would suggest you visit the electric forums and leave the real powerplants for those who enjoy the music a well tuned engine can make.

Hogflyer
cool, i started with electric and the number of Escs and lipo blown really blow a big hole in my pocket. i dont deny that electrics are plug n play, but nitro had its fun too. If its about cost, 1/2A nitro would definitely be cheaper.
i had a number of ep planes, now starting on nitro and gws conversion is very worthy consider the cost of the plane

this hobby is suppose to be enjoyable and fun. Why compare?
Touch n Go is offline Find More Posts by Touch n Go
Old Dec 04, 2007, 04:54 PM
MRD
MR DAD
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Joined Feb 2005
254 Posts
I have been flying electric for several years now and have been converting them over to glow. Ecs,lipo,motor a lot more than a osla15 3oz tank and one more servo. The mini ultra stick is a great performer on a 15 size glow motor. The wattage crazy 8 is also very good on a 15 size motor. The formosa on a honert .09 and a estarter on a 10 do great as well. I have been looking at that new e flight taylor craft for a glow motor.
MRD is offline Find More Posts by MRD
Old Dec 04, 2007, 05:50 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD
I have been flying electric for several years now and have been converting them over to glow. Ecs,lipo,motor a lot more than a osla15 3oz tank and one more servo. The mini ultra stick is a great performer on a 15 size glow motor. The wattage crazy 8 is also very good on a 15 size motor. The formosa on a honert .09 and a estarter on a 10 do great as well. I have been looking at that new e flight taylor craft for a glow motor.
Mr. Dad,

You may beat me to it on that Taylorcraft. I have a NIB OS10FP waiting for it, but it may have to wait in line behind that new E-flite AT6 Texan, for my GMS25.

My AP.09 Hornet is gonna get mounted in my Mega Models Cessna L-19 Bird Dog. Should be able to completely conceal engine and muffler inside the cowl on that one. That oughta fool the e-crazies... until I fire it up and slime the runway with it! Yeah, baby.
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Dec 04, 2007, 05:53 PM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
BEBOPGOLF, loved the lil extra video, 1 thing though, you should always reach from behind when removing your glow driver, when you go to a bigger prop and are used to reaching from the front you'll be in trouble.

Is that a magnum .15xl ?, i'm just in the stages of putting my lil extra together and i'm planning on using my mag .15. What was you all up weight? and how did it balance ? did you have to move your RX battery way back.
Wayne V is offline Find More Posts by Wayne V
Old Dec 04, 2007, 10:14 PM
Flying is FUN
Joined Apr 2005
153 Posts
One thing the electric guys does not know is the sweet smell of nitro in the morning hehehe theres allways will someone who dislike anything from the pass that you build and place a glow motor on and fly.I for one still have a cox.049 over 50 years old and still runs good whats in my flight box ??? two cox TD,049s two cox .td.09s two cox .049 midillions two cox.049 golden bees two cox.09 midillions with throttles you name a cox motor i have it from the pass but what great fun thanks guys&gals
layback2 is offline Find More Posts by layback2
Old Dec 04, 2007, 11:10 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,708 Posts
What servo's and receiver are you guys using in the Herr Extra's? I'm getting ready to assemble one - it'll be powered by an OS .10 FSR with a tuned pipe on it just for kicks. Since I haven't run this engine with a tuned pipe, I don't know if it'll be able to idle with the pipe but its worth a try. Hoping to get the power of a .15 LA out of it. I'll use HS-81MG and HS-85BB servo's with a Berg 7-channel receiver.

Has anybody tried a conversion of the Electrifly Fokker DR-1? That looks like it may be a good one for the OS .10 FP or LA.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer