Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 30, 2009, 03:17 PM
Joined Jan 2008
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy
Pink is castor/synth, green is all synthetic. Get the pink...
thanks don
gramps45 is offline Find More Posts by gramps45
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2009, 08:14 PM
Joined Jan 2008
441 Posts
got another new-b question. i bought a os10fsr that came with 781 muffler that have just a small hole in back for the exhaust and no other fitting. i saw the os10la on the os site and it has the 871 muffler with a bigger exhaust bipe and a nipple fitting. is the 781 muffler okay for the 10fsr

thanks
milton
Old Apr 02, 2009, 09:35 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,868 Posts
Milton,

No reason why you couldn't use a muffler with no pressure fitting.

I run pressure in all my installations, as it ensures a more positive fuel flow in all flight attitudes, but it is not essential. Just be sure the tank is mounted close to the engine (and not three bays back, in the baggage hold!), and that the fuel level is even with the carburetor.
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Built Stinson 105
Old Apr 02, 2009, 10:38 AM
Joined Jan 2008
441 Posts
thanks for the help. i don't know of anyone who fly's 1/2a here. if the tank have 2 tubing, the pick up and the overflow(i think) do i plug the overflow before flying?

thanks
milton
Last edited by gramps45; Apr 02, 2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2009, 10:49 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps45
if the tank have 2 tubing, the pick up and the overflow(i think) do i plug the overflow before flying?
Absolutely NOT. The overflow is your vent line. Without a vent, the tank would have negative pressure as the fuel is drawn, which would eventually starve the flow. Just hang the vent line out somewhere, so that when you fill the tank, the overflow ends up on the ground and not inside your plane.
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Built Stinson 105
Old Apr 15, 2009, 02:45 PM
Chicago
Joined Jan 2009
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupeli
They don't go hand in hand... If yo do so, you will end up underpowered. I'd guess it has something to do with prop efficiency or so. Any way, I don't know why it is so but it just is... I've been flying a .40-sized pattern plane with 450W of power from an electric motor. Not quite eguivalent to a .40 2-stroke, right? (OS .40 LA - 1hp = 746W)
A watt is a watt regardless of its source. I suspect that what you are seeing is that the peak HP of an engine occurs at a certain RPM with a certain fuel, an optimum needle setting and in a favorable climate. it is usually run rich below its maximum power. An electric motor eats electrons and they do not have nitro percentages etc or mixture tuning and the output of the electric motor is basically linear with RPM, not non-linear like the IC engine. When making a conversion you need to figure out the every day HP for the IC engine, not used its best ever performance.

To match the output at the prop requires that the IC engine be rated at perhaps 60-70% of its rated HP. Sport engines with a flat power curve will need less derating than peaky high performance engines.
unattainium is offline Find More Posts by unattainium
Old Jun 21, 2009, 02:25 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
166 Posts
This video Is loooooong overdue!

pitts 2009 (7 min 11 sec)

This is the Carl Goldberg Monster Pitts electric to glow conversion flight video. I have been flying it for a while but never had anyone to video. But all the stars lined up today so here it is. It has a os .25 LA on it and flies very scale. It will tip stall fast on high rates. It is small and fun otherwise!
bebopgolf is online now Find More Posts by bebopgolf
Last edited by bebopgolf; Jun 23, 2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:32 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,345 Posts
Hello -re Goldberg Pitts

Nice video, great landing!

I have one also, and converted to 46LA, still haven't flown it. The 46LA runs fine with an 11inch prop and should pull nicely.

As an electric, I have had many incidents with this plane and was never really happy with the cg location. I would like to know where you balance yours if you can tell me.

Other mods on mine include metal gear servos located aft for rudder and elevator (the park flyer type push rods flexed too much), 1/2 A type horns, heavily reinforced support for landing gear which is salvaged from a 40 size trainer.

I have another one new in the box waiting, might get a 25 or 36 for it.

Thanks!
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:32 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,634 Posts
A guy at our field has one with a .30(ish) sized 2 stroke on his, it flies very well and looks great, but he tore the LG out of it a couple weeks ago and bent/broke the wing struts when it tip stalled his.

I'd like to try one with a small saito .45!
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Nov 12, 2009, 07:44 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake View Post
A guy at our field has one with a .30(ish) sized 2 stroke on his, it flies very well and looks great, but he tore the LG out of it a couple weeks ago and bent/broke the wing struts when it tip stalled his.

I'd like to try one with a small saito .45!
Been there and done that! Mine has tip stalled at altitude, follwed by death spiral - not pretty.

My choice of 46LA was based only on the fact that I had one sitting around. It's not too heavy and runs well. Other projects have kept me from flying it - need a perfect day without crosswind...
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:54 AM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
166 Posts
If I were to do it again I would have put a 40 la in it. My cg is a little forward of recommended... maybe about an 1/8 of an inch. It will fly pretty good on low rates but on high rates the motor is not strong enough. Also I beefed up my landing gear after it tore off.
bebopgolf is online now Find More Posts by bebopgolf
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:35 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Sep 2009
1,095 Posts
Here is my electric to glow conversion. I was inspired by that slow stick AP .061 video on youtube. I hoping to do some snow flying with it this winter. The wing is custsom.
Glue Gun is offline Find More Posts by Glue Gun
Old Nov 13, 2009, 06:37 AM
USA, VT, Brandon
Joined Aug 2004
1,342 Posts
Glow Stick....very nice. Looks like fun. Have you flown it yet? What's that engine and how's you get your CG to work out with that power pod hanging off the nose?

Steve
millerhill is offline Find More Posts by millerhill
Old Nov 13, 2009, 02:14 PM
Annapolis, MD
Joined Sep 2009
1,095 Posts
Yes I have flown it lots of times. I built it last december. The engine is as TT .07. Everything is stock accept for the wing and the engine. The servos, reciever, battery are all where you would have them if you were using the electric setup. The engine mount is made from a piece of plastic cutting board that is bolted to the carbon fiber stick. The bolts that I used were the same bolts I used to bolt the engine down (Dubro 4-40 with lock nuts). The 2 oz tank is rubber banded to the stick. The throttle servo is double sided foam taped and rubber banded to a piece of metal screwed to the cutting board. To compensate for this extra weight in the front (even though the engine itself does weigh less then that lame old speed 400 gear drive that comes with the kit) I simply slid the wing mounts forward on the stick. The battery I use to power the electronics is an old 700 mah 2 cell lipo with a 5v regulator. I ditched the original wing after the first few flights and built my own out of Lowes blue fanfold foam (which is what I use to make all of my airplanes nowadays, even spads) because it was hard to clean and it caused the plane to want to keep turning after I had made a turn. My custom wing is lighter (no metal struts), simpler (three pieces of foam glued together with hot glue), the plane is more responsive with it and it is easier to clean (no packing tape for the exhaust to get under). My custom wing is also the same size with the same amount of dihedral as the original. With the TT, performance and endurance are excellent. It does not have unlimited verticial, but I can cruise around the field at a little above quarter throttle. With two ounces of omega 10% I can get over 15 minute of flight time. I am very happy with how it tuned out! Way more fun than if it were electric! Flys much faster!

PS: Those brushed speed 400 jobs are lame because after one good crash, the shaft is bent.

GG
Glue Gun is offline Find More Posts by Glue Gun
Last edited by Glue Gun; Nov 13, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 04:21 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopgolf View Post
If I were to do it again I would have put a 40 la in it. My cg is a little forward of recommended... maybe about an 1/8 of an inch. It will fly pretty good on low rates but on high rates the motor is not strong enough. Also I beefed up my landing gear after it tore off.
Hi!

Thanks for cg location. Mine is at the leading edge of the lower wing. Flew it today without the cowl. Need to put in a 3 line tank and then put on the cowl.

For now plenty of power with 46la and 12x6 prop. Actually easier to land than electric, just enough low rpm power at idle. Also I have put landing gear about 1" forward of original.

Will post pictures later, maybe on another thread since this is for smaller engines.