HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:11 PM
Zero Killer
So Cal.
Joined Feb 2007
134 Posts
Well, too bad the vote didn't get the required % yes votes to be formed, but I did see a mention of this thread over here so here I am. I have some electrics, some glow, some gas, and some rubber powered models. When Great PLanes came out with the little PBY Catalina, I thought it was pretty cool until I tallied what it would cost to finish it as an electric. The plane on sale is only $129 on Tower, then add $80 for the recommended motors, another $80 for the ESCs, $65 for a battery (better make that 2 since you always want another battery ready to go rather than wait for a charge so call it $130 if you like) and $9 for the Deans parellel adaptor so that makes for a $363 plane before you buy servos and $428 if you buy a second battery....ouch!!

Mine will be sportin 2 Thunder Tiger GP-07's that I got for $50 each. Ahh, not only do I get to enjoy the sound of twin nitro power, but I do it for a cost savings of roughly $200 over the electric way. The engine mount/nacelles will need some modification work, but I think it's gonna be a blast!
HellcatAce is offline Find More Posts by HellcatAce
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:55 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,353 Posts
Yep, the initial setup cost for electric is quite high (batteries and chargers). But, once you have a few sets of batteries then the rest is fairly cheap. And, recommended motor setups are the high priced ones. A set of electrics comparable to your TT good deal are the Towerpro motors and esc's. A set of them could be had for about $80 (2 motors and 2 esc's).

The PBY is a cool plane. I have been flying the Dare model (Mike Midkiff design) for over a year now. The only bad part is it doesn't fly slow enough

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 01, 2008, 07:39 AM
piro-maniac........
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Dec 2007
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellcatAce
Well, too bad the vote didn't get the required % yes votes to be formed, but I did see a mention of this thread over here so here I am. I have some electrics, some glow, some gas, and some rubber powered models. When Great PLanes came out with the little PBY Catalina, I thought it was pretty cool until I tallied what it would cost to finish it as an electric. The plane on sale is only $129 on Tower, then add $80 for the recommended motors, another $80 for the ESCs, $65 for a battery (better make that 2 since you always want another battery ready to go rather than wait for a charge so call it $130 if you like) and $9 for the Deans parellel adaptor so that makes for a $363 plane before you buy servos and $428 if you buy a second battery....ouch!!

Mine will be sportin 2 Thunder Tiger GP-07's that I got for $50 each. Ahh, not only do I get to enjoy the sound of twin nitro power, but I do it for a cost savings of roughly $200 over the electric way. The engine mount/nacelles will need some modification work, but I think it's gonna be a blast!
sweet.......I want to do a PBY glow style!! Please keep us posted on that project!!
GunnyGlow is offline Find More Posts by GunnyGlow
Old Jul 02, 2008, 04:50 PM
Zero Killer
So Cal.
Joined Feb 2007
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Yep, the initial setup cost for electric is quite high (batteries and chargers). But, once you have a few sets of batteries then the rest is fairly cheap. And, recommended motor setups are the high priced ones. A set of electrics comparable to your TT good deal are the Towerpro motors and esc's. A set of them could be had for about $80 (2 motors and 2 esc's).

The PBY is a cool plane. I have been flying the Dare model (Mike Midkiff design) for over a year now. The only bad part is it doesn't fly slow enough

charlie
Agreed, but I have my limits firmly in place. If it won't fly with the 3s 1650 lipos or my good ol' 8 cell nimh's I have and the ESC's to go with them, then they are big enough for glow. Either that or I look for something else. I have grown to hate foam planes so it's gotta be balsa, and it's gotta work with my existing electric gear, if not, it's gonna be a nitro burner. Besides...I love the look on the faces of the electric ever faithful when I tell them I'm "gassifying" an electric.
HellcatAce is offline Find More Posts by HellcatAce
Old Jul 02, 2008, 05:20 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,353 Posts
Don't worry, I have no problem with flying IC instead of electric. I'd love to fly big IC stuff, but, just can't afford the trips to the field. I only get over to our IC field once a year and go to one event a year with IC.

That's why my diesel conversion will have both an electric and diesel power option.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 08, 2008, 02:02 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
162 Posts
Here we go!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXRXB9 and http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXPUE0&P=3 I have in my hanger the carl goldberg monster 12 that will be transformed to a glow using .25 os la Build log to follow! Things to consider 1. firewall 2. micro or mini servos .
bebopgolf is offline Find More Posts by bebopgolf
Last edited by bebopgolf; Jul 08, 2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2008, 06:55 PM
piro-maniac........
Joined Dec 2007
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopgolf
http://www.towerhobbies.com/product...g/gbga1026.html + http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=1&I=LXPUE0&P=3
I have in my hanger the carl goldberg monster 12 that will be transformed to a glow using .25 os la Build log to follow! Things to consider 1. firewall 2. micro or mini servos .
Links aren't working for me.......??
Old Jul 08, 2008, 07:27 PM
quick, stretch into a monster!
Everett, WA
Joined Apr 2007
978 Posts
aren't working for me either.
Mr.Me is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Me
Old Jul 08, 2008, 07:35 PM
piro-maniac........
Joined Dec 2007
4,137 Posts
I dig the avatar Mr. Me......
Old Jul 08, 2008, 07:40 PM
quick, stretch into a monster!
Everett, WA
Joined Apr 2007
978 Posts
oh yeah!!!!
Mr.Me is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Me
Old Jul 08, 2008, 10:46 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
162 Posts
how about now?

Quote:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXRXB9 and http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXPUE0&P=3 I have in my hanger the carl goldberg monster 12 that will be transformed to a glow using .25 os la Build log to follow! Things to consider 1. firewall 2. micro or mini servos .
Does this work now..... if not am I missing somthing?
Old Jul 08, 2008, 11:06 PM
piro-maniac........
Joined Dec 2007
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Does this work now..... if not am I missing somthing?
It works now....and you are missing an "e" in something.
Old Jul 08, 2008, 11:23 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
162 Posts
cool

thanks for the reply Gunny I started down the slippery road of the Monster. I was just going to lay out the parts and snap a few pictures.....next thing you Know I am CAing the hinges and test fitting the stablizer This Is going to go fast!!
Old Jul 08, 2008, 11:27 PM
piro-maniac........
Joined Dec 2007
4,137 Posts
sounds awesome!! I've stumbled across a sort of bipe fetish recently. I picked one up locally and REALLY enjoyed flying it. I have a fokker dr1 that needs some power put to it, also.

Taking pics of the build?? It looks like a nice plane from what I can tell on towers website. How does the firewall look!?