HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2007, 07:37 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
168 Posts
Discussion
electric to glow (.10 -.25)

Now that we have so many beautiful electric arfs to choose from, what ep have you put a glow motor in and how? Anyone try an e-flight edge with an os .10?
bebopgolf is online now Find More Posts by bebopgolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:38 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Feb 2006
51 Posts
I just put an OS FP .15 in a mini pulse xt....love it . Flies awesome.
dfetters is offline Find More Posts by dfetters
Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:32 AM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
168 Posts
I would love to see video of that!! Also what were the basic steps that you took change it over to nitro?
Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:06 PM
Canucklehead
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
827 Posts
I've been wanting to convert the Electrifly Fokker DR1 to glow for a while now. I think all you would need to do is reinforce and fuel proof the fire wall.

As for engine, I would just convert motor watts to horse power and go from there. The big difference is that glow motors are heavier than electric motors, Electrics designed to fly with NiMH will probably help you avoid weight issues.
orenda635 is offline Find More Posts by orenda635
Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:21 PM
Pirkkala, Finland
Joined Jan 2005
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orenda635
As for engine, I would just convert motor watts to horse power and go from there.
They don't go hand in hand... If yo do so, you will end up underpowered. I'd guess it has something to do with prop efficiency or so. Any way, I don't know why it is so but it just is... I've been flying a .40-sized pattern plane with 450W of power from an electric motor. Not quite eguivalent to a .40 2-stroke, right? (OS .40 LA - 1hp = 746W)
Jupeli is offline Find More Posts by Jupeli
Old Sep 13, 2007, 01:27 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
168 Posts
I have a Herr sig little somethin' extra with a os .10 and it is a blast to fly, It fits in my car easy, and flies where i point it. It is because of this plane that I started looking for other models like it but there is not much in the way of arf. that is why i starded this thread. Great Planes has started selling there arfs both ep/glow I hope this trend continues. I also know some guys that started with electric and would like to try out glow models. This might be a good market.
Last edited by bebopgolf; Sep 13, 2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 03:14 PM
frimley u.k.
Joined Jun 2006
219 Posts
i don't know if they are still available but the wattage giles 202 is a great candidate,i put an sc15 in mine and it was a blast,unlimited vertical and very stable,i lost it because of a dodgy rx,wish i still had it!
bigchap is offline Find More Posts by bigchap
Old Sep 17, 2007, 01:12 PM
Canucklehead
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2004
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupeli
They don't go hand in hand... If yo do so, you will end up underpowered. I'd guess it has something to do with prop efficiency or so. Any way, I don't know why it is so but it just is... I've been flying a .40-sized pattern plane with 450W of power from an electric motor. Not quite eguivalent to a .40 2-stroke, right? (OS .40 LA - 1hp = 746W)
It gives a rough idea of what you'll need though. That's the whole key to converting since there is no mathematical formula for it since every plane is different. The most important things to keep in mind are electric motors have more torque and weigh less than two stroke glow.
orenda635 is offline Find More Posts by orenda635
Old Sep 18, 2007, 05:54 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
168 Posts
I Know that there are a lot of glow to electric conversions threads that we might be able to reverse the train of thinking in order to come up with some rough guidelines for electric to glow conversions.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 01:25 AM
Joined Jul 2006
279 Posts
I have a Seagull Extra 300 EP that I may consider converting to glow. I live in an apartment, and the only choices in electric for that model use the flamable LiPo batteries. A park flyer that I can take any place would be nice, but I would rather not take chances. Especially when I'm in a multi-family dwelling.

NorfolkSouthern
NorfolkSouthern is offline Find More Posts by NorfolkSouthern
Old Sep 28, 2007, 09:34 AM
Flying is FUN
Joined Apr 2005
153 Posts
Great topic i am looking into buying a electric plane and going glow because there is more electric planes on the market then glow in the 1/2a class but my problem is i have 2 glow motors one in is the Thunder Tiger GP-07 and the other is the .20 K&B sportster and i was wondering how i pick a plane meaning what plane would the .07 fit
would the Goldberg Lightnin' Bug Park Flyer fly ok with the gp-07 work
or a Great Planes Fokker Dr.1 Triplane WWI EP ARF 29.5" fly ok
could use some ideas on the 2 planes
i really do not want to buy another glow motor
thanks for a very good topic i know it will grow
layback2 is offline Find More Posts by layback2
Old Sep 29, 2007, 09:14 AM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Feb 2007
168 Posts
We might try this one

This is our first project
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2475
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:59 AM
windsor,ontario,canada
Joined Jun 2001
473 Posts
Why would you downgrade to glow? Glow may still have an advantage in larger size models for now. In smaller sized models electric is much better.
adaptabl is offline Find More Posts by adaptabl
Old Sep 29, 2007, 01:12 PM
frimley u.k.
Joined Jun 2006
219 Posts
i did it because glow was/is cheaper.
bigchap is offline Find More Posts by bigchap
Old Sep 29, 2007, 02:21 PM
Flying is FUN
Joined Apr 2005
153 Posts
Why would you downgrade to glow? wow low blow maybe just maybe some of us like glow and allways will as far as electrics go i woint own one but that is my opinion
layback2 is offline Find More Posts by layback2