HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2002, 06:03 AM
Joined Oct 2002
36 Posts
Next Model - ELF - comments/suggestions

Well, I have been flying my Zagi 3C for a little while now, all the old sloping techniques came back to me and I am itching for another toy.

At my local slope I have seen a couple of people flying an "Elf" - I believe that it is a Polish model from a company called SOBOX??

It is a 1.5m wing span plane, white foam core covered with black poplar veneer. Apparently it is mostly built, and is mainly a matter of putting it together and sticking in the radio gear.

It is available for $200 AUD, which is about the same as I paid for my Zagi!

I know this is a big step up from my Zagi, but I am feeling fairly confident that I can step up to the level of flying if I take it easy, and am keen for the big improvement in performance - I was especially impressed with the energy retention as it came in from a high pass for some aerobatics.

I bought a Flash 5 with my Zagi, so I am already equipped radio wise, guess I just have to buy small servos to go in it.

I am looking for any feedback on stepping up to my first crunchie, and anyone who has built and flown the elf.

Sb
safetyboy is offline Find More Posts by safetyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2002, 08:04 AM
California, USA
Joined Jul 2001
98 Posts
I don't have the Elf, but I do have an Art Hobby Velvia, which is similar to the Sobox planes. Generally, flying a crunchie isn't all that difficult. It's getting it back in one piece all the time, every time, that's hard.

If anything the flying will probably be easier than a Zagi because visual orientation is better, tracking is better, and the controls are better. But, the stall speed and the amount of altitude needed to recover from a stall will be a lot greater than the Zagi. Generally you try to fly these planes fast and in large, graceful manuevers with a lot of energy management.

Slowing down the plane for landing can be a problem because they're so clean. Tricks you can use here include coming in high and slow and then making tight S-turns back and forth to get it down. I also like to do a crabbing manuever where I fly crosswind on the base leg and as I reach the turn to final, I do a very quick yaw into the wind and simultaneously tip up the forward wing about 45. The plane will start to slide sideways from the momentum and because of the large frontal area of the wing as it's tipped up, drag it slows down like wouldn't believe.

Building wise, I would use silicone hinges on the wing controls, reinforce the nosecone and tail feathers with fiberglass, and probably cover the whole wing with Ultracote or similar. The black poplar finish looks cool, but its impact resistance against rocks and stuff is low.
Mattebox is offline Find More Posts by Mattebox
Last edited by Mattebox; Nov 26, 2002 at 08:06 AM.