HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:00 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
23,978 Posts
Dekan , I must be going "mental".... How did I ever miss this one ???.... What a Beauty!!!! I also assume that this is your PIB contest entry .... the bar has been raised...
Really Cool and EPP too ... I just HAVE to build a few of these...Thanks !!!
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2007, 06:43 AM
Joined Aug 2007
5 Posts
Hi
I've just finished building this plane. thank you for all the plans, pictures and suggestions.
I have an odd question;

My battery is its on way and won't be here in couple of days. in the mean time i just want to test servos and program the radio.

can i use any external power supply ie. transmitter's charger (11.6V 45mA) or a 9v battery to power up my plane through esc??

any chances?

thank you
efendy is offline Find More Posts by efendy
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:28 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Gpw. Not as mental as gold guy trying to train his Dart to skip on his lawn!!

Re The plane in a box contest
if the F22 qualify thats great. Give the credit for coming up with design to Kosh
Fangers plane uses basswood in place of the carbon....so you know bamboo has got to work.

Hi efendy is this your first electric plane?
The TX charger is a non starter for several reasons.The main one being 46ma is way short of the current required. If want to test the motor rotation you will need several amps (depends on motor type as to how many amps)
The 9v battery, you dont say what sort of a battery it is...so it difficult to advise

I have a revised plan including where I put the carbon fibre reinforcement, any interest?
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:45 AM
Joined Aug 2007
5 Posts
Thank you Dekan
I might be interested in getting the plans for the CF
I'll crash it in the first flight anyway

Yes this is my first electric plane actually the first r/c plane. i know i should have started with a trainer that's another story.

With the help from Vintage1, i just managed to fiddle with servos and transmitter by using the receiver's battery pack.

i've just found 2x 900mAh and a 800mAh 3.7V Li-ion cell phone batteries.

I think i can use them if i connect them in serial, right?

thank you
efendy is offline Find More Posts by efendy
Old Sep 17, 2007, 11:56 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
It all sounds a little hairy Efendy are you sure you dont want start with a Smart Dart XS lots of fun and they fly great. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=599674

The batteries might just run the Rx and servos. Be very careful with the polaritys when you connect them to the esc ... do not connect the motor too much current.

To be honest it sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Firetrappe, thanks Si, has re done the plan to show the carbon placememt and a Fin angle template. I have posted in #1 as Plan V2
Last edited by dekan; Sep 17, 2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 02:24 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,621 Posts
Hi Dekan, just a quick question about your motor you have been using with your F22, you know the the $6 job. The 6X4 prop with 2cell batt, is the performance good, I know there amp hungry as I have one but havn't tried it on 2 cells yet, only 3cells with 4inch props to try an keep the amps down. More experitmenting I know. I'm moving it over to another plane and was going to try your setup. Once I have done this the F22 will be next cab off the rank. Thanks once again

Regards Box
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Sep 17, 2007, 02:54 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Box, The Emax Cf2805 is really designed for 2S IMO. This motor is standard issue on the Hyperflea
It moves the F22 at reasonable lick, its not a rocket but its fast enough.
Having said that it luggs my Flyingwings Vtail around very well at AUW 15.5oz on its 6x4 prop...!http://www.flyingwings.co.uk/store/p...e7d555800b3eae

Specifications
http://www.tedani.com/emax-cf2805-ou...kv-p-1008.html

I cant find a spec for 3s
Last edited by dekan; Sep 17, 2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 03:15 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Box BTW Kosh and his FB have used a BP21 on 2S I lifted another video from the wattflyer thread, it's ok I have permission honest Thanks Kai.
Sorry I don't have any video of my own, no camera.
F-22K (3 min 37 sec)
Old Sep 17, 2007, 03:42 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Hehe, wait until you see vid of Kosh's Mk3 (we forgot to take any video of it this last weekend, but will be taking some soon, hopefully next weekend). The extra wing elevons really dramatically improve the roll rate and slow flight characteristics (I had a chance to fly it last saturday).

With the wing elevon's moving in phase with the tail elevons, the plane's inverted characteristics improve significantly as well (because they effectively add washout when holding in some elevator inverted). It's one of the few planes that I feel comfortable in inverted harrier with down low.

-Kai

P.S. We'll try to get some video of the tail stand launch technique (cool to have a plane that literally flys out of your hand, I tend to launch everything with a hard throw so don't go by my hand launch in the vid ).
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
Last edited by Kai_Shiden; Sep 17, 2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 04:20 PM
He Did WHAT? "AGAIN?"
Seattle
Joined Nov 2004
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrog
Kosh28,
any Video on the Aileron Coupled version. How does it handle with pitch & roll on 4 surfaces?

thanks,

Flynfrog

Heres some ground test video that should take some guess work out of it. As you can guess it is much more responsive but doesn't take away from the slow and easy flight. I was simply looking for better roll rate at slower speeds and this worked fine. It also lets me a get higher angles of attack with more control.

These can always be added on later and the stock version flies very well as it is. Other than the fuse theres no C/F in mine to add strength, The angled runners under the wing handle that now. A plane of 11 or 12 ounces should get something added there though.

F-22 Static Test (0 min 34 sec)
Kosh28 is offline Find More Posts by Kosh28
Old Sep 17, 2007, 04:42 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
The static test video was very interesting, how do you work out the throws.
Thanks for the help gents
Old Sep 17, 2007, 04:57 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,295 Posts
What is the preferred EPP to use 1.3# or 1.9#? very nice plane BTW :-)
superdave42 is offline Find More Posts by superdave42
Old Sep 17, 2007, 05:13 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,621 Posts
Thanks for the info Dekan

Box
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Sep 17, 2007, 05:24 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
The only Epp I have been able to get from the 2 sources that I know of in the UK is 1.3, or so I have been told .
That is unless anybody knows of any other sources that provide a higher density.

I think superflyrc uses a denser Epp in the Hyperfly.

Box. I look forward to your take on the F22
Last edited by dekan; Sep 17, 2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2007, 05:44 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
23,978 Posts
This sure looks like FUN , how does it fly with just the tailervators' ... those flappy things on the rear ...
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw