HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 23, 2013, 05:31 PM
Reap the wild wind
headlessagain's Avatar
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
Guys can I use EPS available HERE for building ANY type of scratch builds?
Whilst the site looks promising it looks like the minimum thickness of extruded board is 20mm which is too thick unless you plan to build big models
http://www.styrouae.com/extruded-polystyrenexps/
The 6mm depron available in the UK is used as an insulation material in underfloor heating. Not a lot of call for that in your country!
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Last edited by headlessagain; Feb 23, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:56 AM
Where did that tree come from
kid at 55's Avatar
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,504 Posts
Have enough 9mm epp on hand to build a 22" F22. ( where did I get plans for a 22" , I don't know. Look like 24" and 32" on this thread) . How will a blue wonder 1500 kv work with this one, or any suggestion on a motor?
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:44 AM
Pushing the envelope
Nicoflyer's Avatar
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
409 Posts
This plane will fly with any motor from a 100 watts and up. The blue wounder is on the 100 watts side of scale. The plans are on the 1st post on this thread, have fun.
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:33 AM
Total Newbie
United Kingdom, England, Loughborough
Joined Dec 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Whilst the site looks promising it looks like the minimum thickness of extruded board is 20mm which is too thick unless you plan to build big models
http://www.styrouae.com/extruded-polystyrenexps/
The 6mm depron available in the UK is used as an insulation material in underfloor heating. Not a lot of call for that in your country!
Andy
Hello Mr. Andy
So if I can get XPS of the right thickness (6mm) it is something good to build with?
I'm looking forward to building the Flitetest FT Flyer as my first plane (See thread created by me in the Scratchbuild forum)
Thanks for your advice and feedback,just a little more is needed now
jkishan16 is online now Find More Posts by jkishan16
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:48 PM
Registered User
Pakistan, Punjab, Rahim Yar Khan
Joined Apr 2011
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
Hello Mr. Andy
So if I can get XPS of the right thickness (6mm) it is something good to build with?
I'm looking forward to building the Flitetest FT Flyer as my first plane (See thread created by me in the Scratchbuild forum)
Thanks for your advice and feedback,just a little more is needed now
Dear jkishan consider splitting the XPS with a hot wire cutter using a common 500 Watt heating element and a 3S to 4S lipo Batteryheld above the surfase of a Flat wooden table the right distance apart using common 2 inch wood screws. then tie up the wire butween them at the right height above the surface and push the xps through it with a (light) pressure on top.

I did the same to an EPP sheet and split it to 9mm thickness that I needed.
tariqsaeed is offline Find More Posts by tariqsaeed
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:58 PM
Total Newbie
United Kingdom, England, Loughborough
Joined Dec 2012
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqsaeed View Post
Dear jkishan consider splitting the XPS with a hot wire cutter using a common 500 Watt heating element and a 3S to 4S lipo Batteryheld above the surfase of a Flat wooden table the right distance apart using common 2 inch wood screws. then tie up the wire butween them at the right height above the surface and push the xps through it with a (light) pressure on top.

I did the same to an EPP sheet and split it to 9mm thickness that I needed.
What IF I can get the 6mm thickness I already want...
My question is not if I am using the correct thickness,my question is IF I can use the XPS foam to build the stuff I want to build?
Is XPS a good foam to build with?
jkishan16 is online now Find More Posts by jkishan16
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:48 AM
Registered User
Pakistan, Punjab, Rahim Yar Khan
Joined Apr 2011
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
What IF I can get the 6mm thickness I already want...
My question is not if I am using the correct thickness,my question is IF I can use the XPS foam to build the stuff I want to build?
Is XPS a good foam to build with?
Dear jkishan16, XPS is brittle compared to other foam types but it is so stiff that CF is not needed in many application. The plus side is that it can be shaped closely to your desired curves if you want to .Cover it up with thin packing tape and its bullet proof.

Here is an example:
http://new.rcpak.com/index.php/forum...-foamy-trainer
tariqsaeed is offline Find More Posts by tariqsaeed
Last edited by tariqsaeed; Feb 25, 2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: added links
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:35 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
pecanpatch's Avatar
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,733 Posts
My F22

I maidened my F22 this weekend... it did well... but it is hard to see

she has Rudders and double elevons..... awesome roll rate/ scary spins



F22 rudder workings (1 min 18 sec)


F22 elevon Details (0 min 35 sec)
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pecanpatch; Feb 25, 2013 at 06:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:42 PM
Reap the wild wind
headlessagain's Avatar
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkishan16 View Post
Hello Mr. Andy
So if I can get XPS of the right thickness (6mm) it is something good to build with?
I'm looking forward to building the Flitetest FT Flyer as my first plane (See thread created by me in the Scratchbuild forum)
Thanks for your advice and feedback,just a little more is needed now
6mm XPS should be ideal. Here are a few quotes for you
"Depron is a highly efficient extruded polystyrene insulation material suitable for use below wood, laminate or even carpets" and "Depron is actually polystyrene (EPS/XPS) plastic and the (EPS) means expanded while (XPS) means extruded. For our purposes, we’re only interested in the stronger, denser XPS Depron which also happens to be closed-cell foam"
It might be worth contacting some flooring contractors to see if they use the thinner XPS as this would save you having to hot wire cut it.
Good luck
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:42 PM
Where did that tree come from
kid at 55's Avatar
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,504 Posts
Looking at grayson hobby micro V3 2200KV for the 24" F22. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ? Also were the cg on the 24"
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:09 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
pecanpatch's Avatar
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,733 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words

Mine has the Grayson V2 combo in it. Straight up unlimited No problem.
Looks like 80 MPH. The same motor is in my Polaris and BD5.
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pecanpatch; Feb 26, 2013 at 04:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:31 PM
Registered User
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Apr 2012
71 Posts
I have to say thank you very much, to this forum: my first F 22 is ready for maiden fligth tomorrow! Hope it will be successful ;-)

I used Depron 6mm, Carbon tubes, sticks, strong tape, Epoxy, acryl color

AUW 240 g, 3S800 Lipo, Hacker A10-13L Motor, GWS 8043 prop, ESC YGE 12A, 2 Servos Hitec.

IŽll attach two pictures, I built some canopy for the battery, esc and receiver.

CU

Hape
Hapewin is offline Find More Posts by Hapewin
Last edited by Hapewin; Feb 28, 2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added pdf and pic for F22 logo mirrored
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:13 PM
Where did that tree come from
kid at 55's Avatar
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,504 Posts
Is there a trick with getting the angle on the vertical stabilizer ? I'm finding out that EPP does not sand very well.
kid at 55 is offline Find More Posts by kid at 55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:27 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined May 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid at 55 View Post
Is there a trick with getting the angle on the vertical stabilizer ? I'm finding out that EPP does not sand very well.
Cut out the fin angle jig thing and bevel it off little by little with a knife. I don't use EPP though, so I don't really know about that. $T foamboard is great stuff for these f22s
rcmaniac098202 is offline Find More Posts by rcmaniac098202
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:10 PM
Pushing the envelope
Nicoflyer's Avatar
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapewin View Post
I have to say thank you very much, to this forum: my first F 22 is ready for maiden fligth tomorrow! Hope it will be successful ;-)

I used Depron 6mm, Carbon tubes, sticks, strong tape, Epoxy, acryl color

AUW 240 g, 3S800 Lipo, Hacker A10-13L Motor, GWS 8043 prop, ESC YGE 12A, 2 Servos Hitec.

IŽll attach two pictures, I built some canopy for the battery, esc and receiver.

CU

Hape
Nice job!!!
Keep us posted on how she fly's and I like your rear canopy hatch for the lipo.
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools