HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2007, 02:21 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Ron. The F22 is made of single 10mm Epp sheet except the fuse which is 2 layers with 3mm carbon tube that runs its full length inside. Its postion is 1/2" below the wing seat. The wing/ fuse slot shown on the plan needs to inlarged to take the extra thickness of the fuse. Size the wing seat height to suit your foam thicknes
I know 9mm is the prefered size in US I don't think the slight reduction in thickness will make any difference to the plane performance
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:40 AM
Joined Jan 2007
203 Posts
I have 9mm epp and the same engine.... time to build
MedicWill is online now Find More Posts by MedicWill
Old Sep 13, 2007, 07:09 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Birmingham, UK
Joined Jul 2006
1,660 Posts
I just thought i'd let you guys know in advance that Dekan has sent me a drawing of the carbon dimensions and positions today. I'll be updating the plans tomorrow with the additional info which will hopefully make it easier to build.

Ron, thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. I hadn't flown a powered model or built with foam until 14 months ago, so i'm here to learn just as much as you are.

Si.
firetrappe is offline Find More Posts by firetrappe
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2007, 07:46 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetrappe
Hi Bob, If I build one i'll be sure to take some photos as I go along. It looks like a lot of the Infi guys are building Jets at the moment....Bill's just built a really nice F22, Trug's building a Flanker and Flash is building an SU-27. I'm starting to feel like the odd one out .
It must be because the Infini's fly so darned slow, we need something to get the adrenaline going. Once I finish getting my EPP Aito put together, I'm definitely going to give one a shot. It looks like a lot of fun.

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Sep 14, 2007, 01:42 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
For the FMS sim guys who can't wait to get some stick time try this . It was made by Gary Gunnerson for Yarbird RC
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:05 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
I have some pictures of Kosh's mk3 depron version. This one has coupled ailerons and revised skids and changes to the motor mount...All of the mods would be very easy to incorporate in my Epp version.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:28 PM
Joined May 2006
201 Posts
Here's Mine

Hey guys,

Dekan asked that mine be posted here too so I thought I would take care of that for him.

This is a very easy plane to build thanks to Kosh, Dekan and firetrappe for the nice tiled plan. Mine is made of Depron. Basswood was used for the leading wing edges and body stringer. I like basswood as it is cheap and just as light as carbon fiber. A bit more rigid too, though not as strong.

AUW: 7.4 ounces with a 2 Cell Thunderpower 730 mAh. It cruises right along with the little motor and battery combo. Not a rocket, but a fun little flyer. A bigger motor and battery would likely make this thing zing.

Krylon H20 spray was used to paint the parts prior to assembly. Man that stuff is no fun to work with. Comes out of the can like spackle, does not flow and takes forever to dry. The finished result is nice though since there is not too much else that works on foam.

I find the CG just about 1" in front of the motor. This thing under full throttle and full elevator deflection will darn near spin 360 degrees. Throttle back with elevator and it floats almost straight down for great spot landings.

Cheers,

Fangar
Fangar is offline Find More Posts by Fangar
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:54 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Thanks Fangar. Yours looks superb in red
Old Sep 16, 2007, 03:07 PM
Joined Sep 2006
94 Posts
Maidened mine today, question for ya.

On launch it would roll slightly to the left, as soon as I gave it a nudge of right stick it would snap roll right and auger in. Didn't do much damage but I couldn't get it to fly. I tried moving tha battery back and forward both but it never got fully under control. Any ideas?

TIA,
Odie
Odie9 is offline Find More Posts by Odie9
Old Sep 16, 2007, 05:14 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
What motor are you using and what size prop.Make sure the elevon move the same amount and the angles match each other as you move the sticks. If not adjust the one with the bigger throw with the ATV/EPA ,on the TX, to match the lazy one. If built as per plan the balence point should be about an in 1" in front of the motor mount. post pics if you think it might help.
The more detail you give, the more chance that we can point you in the right direction.
One more thing left turn = L elevon up and R down looking from the rear of the plane towards the nose and the angles should match ie 40up=40down
Good luck this plane is normally very easy to fly so stick with it Odie
Old Sep 16, 2007, 09:28 PM
Joined Sep 2006
94 Posts
The elevons are set up right, already checked. I'm using a Vlue Wonder and had a 7x4 prop on it. I have the back of the prop set a little higher than the front so it is pushing down into the back of the plane. I think it's a CG problem but I'm putting it where you guys are saying it should be. I'm going to try moving it foward a little tomorrow and see if that straightens it out, even though it didn't seem to today

If you think of anything else let me know.

TIA,
Odie
Odie9 is offline Find More Posts by Odie9
Old Sep 16, 2007, 09:33 PM
He Did WHAT? "AGAIN?"
Seattle
Joined Nov 2004
293 Posts
Hi Odie,

6" to 7" props seem to work best on this plane although 8" will work. The slight roll is pretty normal and doesn't need much to correct. Make it nose heavy until its trimmed out and you might even think about moving your control rods to the outer holes at the top of your horns for now.

Heres one more thing to try out, Hold the plane by the rear and turn up enough power so it will simple fly out of your hand. Now I know not many planes are launched this way but its just point into the wind and add 30 to 40 degrees up and let go.

Its worth a try ...
Kosh28 is offline Find More Posts by Kosh28
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:50 AM
Radio Up Flyboy!
Oregon, USA
Joined May 2002
234 Posts
Kosh28,
any Video on the Aileron Coupled version. How does it handle with pitch & roll on 4 surfaces?

thanks,

Flynfrog
flynfrog is offline Find More Posts by flynfrog
Old Sep 17, 2007, 01:36 AM
Australia Sunshine Coast
Joined Sep 2007
447 Posts
Dekan
Sweet plane, have finally sourced some EPP but only in black but should look good when i add some colour. What do you use to cut the EPP and what type of paint, one of the guys mentioned Krylon H20 is a pain.

Rudolf
rudes is offline Find More Posts by rudes
Old Sep 17, 2007, 01:43 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Oddie. I think you have upthrust.This not needed please correct set the motor to level. Thanks for your help Kosh. If my Fb launches for me he just holds on to the wing tips points the planes nose up about 30degrees I throttle up and it flys out of his hands. What rates are you running I am using about 60% all round and -30 expo. I tutn the rates switch off once I am "up up and a way"

Rudie. I use a very sharp No 11 blade. and the paint I using is the RC styro acrylic paint.
Replace the blade as soon as it starts to go blunt or you will tear the Epp.
Last edited by dekan; Sep 17, 2007 at 01:48 AM.