SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:51 AM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Dec 2005
76 Posts
Eternalflight-
I didn't get to fly this weekend as I was getting things ready for Christmas. I'll have time over the holidays to get the fox in the air.

Next weekend the forecast is for north winds so could be a good day for the mills mall slope.
jam492 is offline Find More Posts by jam492
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:09 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam492 View Post
Eternalflight-
I didn't get to fly this weekend as I was getting things ready for Christmas. I'll have time over the holidays to get the fox in the air.

Next weekend the forecast is for north winds so could be a good day for the mills mall slope.

I see SW west for Saturday (Fults) and North on Tuesday the 18th for the Mills. Maybe the Fox needs a prop on it

Never made it to Rolla, rain,wind and fog killed the weekend for flying
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:24 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
282 Posts
Hi Twyl, It's true that I am not a experienced slope flyer and maybe I was not following your mods closely, I was reffering only to the fact that Foxes are stiff enough in my oppinion and I did not see the benefit of puting more weight on it, thus increasing the wing loading.
I can understand the energy retention thing but then you will need always a stronger wind to keep the Fox up.

PS those spinny things are really a choice for a lot of people........I think.....that's why Ming modified the kit....
I wish you happy flights and LET THE ENERGY RETENTION BE WITH YOU.......LOL
serjuro is offline Find More Posts by serjuro
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:15 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Serjuro, I guess it really just depends on what slopes you have around you and the conditions you plan to fly in. My original EPP Fox was fairly stock with the only mod if it's called on was adding 5 mil laminate film. While the snot could still be flown out of it, the amount of wing flex left in it could be annoying at how poorly it retained energy and at sometimes how much "wing flap" you could get. You could literally imitate a seagull flying and flapping it's wings by repetitively pulling up-down-up-down-up-down elevator.

I think I've posted this video up on this thread previously, but this is my old, now lost to sea, EPP Fox built stock with 5mil LF. The wind in this clip is probably 15-18mph and at this slope sight that means considerable lift. In the video at times it's difficult to tell if the plane is upright or inverted due to the amount of anhedral induced by the wing flex.

EPP Fox @ Pt. Fermin 6/27/2012 (10 min 45 sec)

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:36 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
282 Posts
Yeah, very elegant Twyl...........you are fortunate to have such a perfect area to fly........
I live 500km away from the Black Sea, ROmania, Europe, so I cannot find such a good spot.
Near my town we have here only a few suitable hills to fly slope and not all the time the wind is appropriate, so I fly mostly EP........
Thanks for sharing such a nice video !
serjuro is offline Find More Posts by serjuro
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Dec 2002
303 Posts
Control Throws?

Can anyone suggest good starting point for control throws?

Rgds, Steve
SteveM is offline Find More Posts by SteveM
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:34 PM
Joined Dec 2002
303 Posts
Glue?

Also.......when you glue the fuz halves together, do you smear glue on all mating surfaces, or just round the edges?

Tks, Steve
Last edited by SteveM; Dec 19, 2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Sp
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:40 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,657 Posts
Quote:
Glue?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also.......when you glue the fuz halves together, do you smear glue on all mating surfaces, or just round the edges?

Tks, Steve
I just use the provided 1 inch fiber tape to hold both halves together.
It work so well for me.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Dec 2002
303 Posts
Ok.....takes Ming
-
Will be solartex covered also.

Stv
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,657 Posts
Last few days of free shipping:
www.windrider.com.hk

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:26 AM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Ok, I've finally queued up the Fox on my work bench. My first Fox I bought second hand and it was pretty much stock with 5mil LF over the entirety. My replacement Fox (still EPP) though I plan to modify more and definitely stiffen a few things up. As is standard with me and my builds I tend to over analyze things and sweat over minor details and the like and somehow manage to turn a simple build into something that takes way too long.

That said, the Fox looks to be a very easy kit to build so I hope to get it flying in fairly short order. I'm currently rereadng this entire thread to confirm the mods I want to do and am now on page 111. One question I would like to clear up first is what type of glue people have used to secure the CF ribbon in front of the aileron? CA, Goop, something else?

My mod list will probably be fairly close to Ian's as listed HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE but I may also increase the size of the ailerons a bit and I do plan to set the incidence to 0 from the get go.

I'm sure more questions will come, but for now wish me luck.

-Jonathan

EDIT: and Ian if you still read this thread or if someone else could offer advice, on the two ribbon spars inserted next to the molded in one, if you did this again would you do it the same way or would you set the ribbons perpendicular to each other instead of parallel? I can't keep from thinking that perpendicular would add more rigidity instead of parallel.
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Last edited by Twyl; Jan 10, 2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:57 AM
Joined Dec 2002
303 Posts
Spars...... i removed the gf ones and replaced with 6 x 3 cf....also added 8mm cf spar( see my posts)....just done fuz with tex.....see my posts, rgds steve
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:41 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,977 Posts
I believe that "ribbon" spars need to be oriented with the "long" dimension along the direction you want to improve rigidity. As up-and-down wing flex is the main concern here, I would slot the spars in vertically only. I believe that the angled spars indicated in the above drawing are not likely to contribute a lot....

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:47 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serjuro View Post
Hey guys, I really am ,,amazed" by the effort and time you put in modifying your Fox es.....
I just want to tell you that I use my EPP version powered by a 2830/1000kv BL with a 3s1600 Lipo for a year now with no problems.
I use the original CF tube, no additional reinforcements and beside a little wing flex, it work great.
I fly mostly acrobatics, all kinds of patterns figures with no problem.
I also had some slope sessions and I am ok with it.
So, the more you put in your Fox, the greater the wing loading will be and let's be honest, you will never get a soarer or other thing...
My advice, just be pleased with your Fox, it is a great foam model..., don't wast yout time and money...
I would agree with the general thrust of your thoughts, in that too many are doing too many modifications to the Fox. It does fly very well stock, and that lower weight means that there is less inertia behind it, so it's tough in stock form. Wing flex is not that bad, it mostly starts becoming a problem due to excessive modifications adding too much weight... It can end up as a vicious cycle...

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:48 AM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,151 Posts
+1
To what Chris said!!
Take the spar put it in your hands.
Flex it in the vertical position. (Tough)
Lay on its side and flex(easy)

There is your method ...done!!
Now install and move on...

Rubio
Giving a helpin hand
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline