Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:04 AM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
LOL! Ya, the corps of engineers builds them all the time for us...Levee's

But we did come across a nice slope recently for jam492 to fly his Fox on.

https://vimeo.com/52442054
Awesome! Looks like a pretty nice slope with the right wind and the right bunch of guys.

I Google Earthed my childhood "Big Hill". See if you can find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67econoline View Post
The fox is a great flyin plane
I love mine. It's great work by Ming.

Rubio
Woot! Way to be positive man

-Jonathan
who still misses his Fox
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:05 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
Awesome! Looks like a pretty nice slope with the right wind and the right bunch of guys.

I Google Earthed my childhood "Big Hill". See if you can find it.

-Jonathan
who still misses his Fox
We did have a great time and can't wait for more North winds. Maybe later I can find a google earth pic of my first hill/pit "In London Ontario Canada"
Were is your Fox?
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Dec 2002
303 Posts
My wings

My first post relating to new Fox......getting a bit obsessive over this, and has taken a long time, but did following:-
-
I tried to insert 4m cf rod into existing wing spars to stiffen...would not fit, but succeeded in pulling out whole spars on removal. (they will release if twist)
-
These found to be glassfibre and not carbon (Ming confirmed this, although next batch would be carbon )....replaced both these with real 6x3mm CF tube....drilled last couple of inches out to 4mm (binding thoroughly in kevlar thread 1st, to avoid splitting!!!), and added 4mm CF rod all the way to the tip.
-
Inserted 4mm cf rod into existing g/fibre joiner also (it fitted in this one)
-
Then....... used 400mm long. 8mm diameter CF rod as additional joiner, sitting in 3/8" OD plastic tubes parallel with original joiner, JUST behind main spar.
Did this by cutting with 7/16" brass tube sharpened on inside at one end, running in a lite ply jig to ensure all went in parallel with original spar.(ie...levelled upper surface of wing along its length, pushed root up to straight edge of lite ply, having added vertical ply guides (x3) in row 90deg to edge, drilled to suit brass OD, leaving apprx 3.5mm clearance to upper surface of wing. (case of measure 9 times, cut once)
Removed EPP core, by pushing piano wire, with last 1/4" bent 90 deg down gap in cut epp, twisting to cut, then re-inserting brass rod...pulled core out - went perfectly!!
-
I will cover each wing in 5mil lam film.
-
I think all effort is probably worth it, considering the excellent reviews of this model.
-
Steve
SteveM is offline Find More Posts by SteveM
Last edited by SteveM; Nov 09, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:24 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternalflight View Post
We did have a great time and can't wait for more North winds. Maybe later I can find a google earth pic of my first hill/pit "In London Ontario Canada"
Were is your Fox?
Ding Ding Ding Ding! You found it!

I've located a replacement Fox to my lost at sea one although with my slow poke building style there's no telling when it will get done. First things first, I need to buy the kit from my buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I think all effort is probably worth it, considering the excellent reviews of this model.
-
Steve
Steve, sounds like things went great although a bit hard to envision. I think pictures would be worth a thousand words here.

-Jonathan
Last edited by Twyl; Nov 08, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Dec 2002
303 Posts
I agree...just read back my post...what a mess!!
-
Will take some pics, Steve
-
-
-
-
OK...added in post above.S
Last edited by SteveM; Nov 09, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:17 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,541 Posts
For EPP the best glue is GOOP or shoe GOO(same stuff)
Do not use epoxy it will brake like glass!
tushev is offline Find More Posts by tushev
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Dec 2002
303 Posts
Pics added above for spar mods
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:07 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Nice, with some Laminate Film that should be a pretty solid wing.

-Jonathan
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:50 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Dec 2005
76 Posts
almost complete!

Here are a few shots of my epp fox. I still need to cover the tail and install some servos.
My build: 2 pieces on each wing of carbon tape epoxied to the underside and one piece epoxied on the underside of the fuse. I spray painted the undersides all
red using spray paint suitable for outdoor plastic furniture, including the carbon strips. The rudder also has a carbon strip reinforcment. The wings,fuse and tail all are covered in 5mil new stuff laminate. I plan to add some wide white stripes on the underside for visibility using econocote and 377 spray.

Hopefully I'll have her in the air in the next week or so. I'll post my results.
jam492 is offline Find More Posts by jam492
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:46 PM
Sniffing the glue
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Aug 2010
227 Posts
Sweet! I'm doing mine similar but with blue instead of red.
scamair is offline Find More Posts by scamair
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,657 Posts
Windrider X'mas free shipping sales(RC plane only)!

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:46 PM
Go Aztecs!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
7 Posts
Hi Ming - sweet. I just ordered 2 of the EPP version. One to build light for the typically weak winds around here and one to make stiff as a 2x4! Most of the places I fly have virtually no landing zone, so EPP is key
Aremgi is offline Find More Posts by Aremgi
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:15 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam492 View Post
Here are a few shots of my epp fox. I still need to cover the tail and install some servos.
My build: 2 pieces on each wing of carbon tape epoxied to the underside and one piece epoxied on the underside of the fuse. I spray painted the undersides all
red using spray paint suitable for outdoor plastic furniture, including the carbon strips. The rudder also has a carbon strip reinforcment. The wings,fuse and tail all are covered in 5mil new stuff laminate. I plan to add some wide white stripes on the underside for visibility using econocote and 377 spray.

Hopefully I'll have her in the air in the next week or so. I'll post my results.
Nice! Did you get some testing in this weekend?
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:48 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
282 Posts
Hey guys, I really am ,,amazed" by the effort and time you put in modifying your Fox es.....
I just want to tell you that I use my EPP version powered by a 2830/1000kv BL with a 3s1600 Lipo for a year now with no problems.
I use the original CF tube, no additional reinforcements and beside a little wing flex, it work great.
I fly mostly acrobatics, all kinds of patterns figures with no problem.
I also had some slope sessions and I am ok with it.
So, the more you put in your Fox, the greater the wing loading will be and let's be honest, you will never get a soarer or other thing...
My advice, just be pleased with your Fox, it is a great foam model..., don't wast yout time and money...
serjuro is offline Find More Posts by serjuro
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:47 AM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serjuro View Post
I use my EPP version powered by a...
I think this is the point where you lost me, and where I think you may be missing the point. The deal with a stiffer wing is for energy retention. The second you stick one of those spinny things on the nose, energy retention is pretty much meaningless since you have all the energy you need at your thumbtip.

Additionally, I don't know where you may have flown slope at or in what type of conditions but in contrast to flying power, you don't really get to pick your landing zone and therefore durability during landing is quite key especially when you may be flying/landing in gale force winds.

Another thing that is different from power vs slope is the proximity of the ground. You can fly acro all you want up high or wherever, but when doing acro along the slope, quite often the lift is pretty close in and the chances of coming in contact with the ground unintentionally is substantially higher.

Hope that explains a bit of the obsessions you've seen posted here.

-Jonathan
who finally got a replacement EPP Fox, but needs to find time to build it