Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:59 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cat007 View Post
can i use the fox with hi-strat ?
I would suggest you do more of a "zip" start.

Use a 25' section of rubber and no line. Tape a hook closer to the nose of the glider.

To launch pull back 1.5 to 2 times the length of the rubber. Let go. Fly level until off the hook and then (gently) pull up. Climb up at a 45 and level off before you stall. I launch all my flying wings this way.

Make sure you have a proper elevator trim before launching. You don't want to dork your plane into the ground at high speed.
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2010, 05:16 PM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
Finally got the Fox airborne after a break in the weather. Axi 2217/20 up front and HS55 & 65MGs on the surfaces. I'm a total rookie when it comes to gliders but I think its a superb flyer, very easy to handle and huge fun

My Hyperion powerset has just arrived (cheers Ming) so hopefully try that out soon

Another great Windrider plane!!!

A few pics from a few hours ago
MrFlash is offline Find More Posts by MrFlash
Last edited by MrFlash; Jun 15, 2010 at 05:31 PM. Reason: added pics
Old Jun 15, 2010, 05:52 PM
David
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2004
651 Posts
Great photos. Can I ask you a question? I motorized my fox too. However, I find that under throttle that it wants to climb rapidly. Does that happen with yours too? I'm wondering if it is because it is trimmed to glide without power so under power it want to rapidly climb. Either that or it needs significant down thrust to compensate. My CG is about 1.5 inches from the LE. Thanks.

-David
dno264 is offline Find More Posts by dno264
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Airacobra
Old Jun 15, 2010, 06:08 PM
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
Cheers David .

I had about 2 degress downthrust in mine and it seemed fine on power. It took about 10 mins to tweak the trim but after that it flew on rails. You could always try a little elevator to throtle mix if its fine on the glide

My cg is similar to yours ( a fraction back at 1.75" ) so I dont think your to far out. My kit from windrider got delayed so I ended up buying one from the UK without the motor and lipo mods in the moulding. I hand carved the mods so my thrust angles might be slightly different to stock but I dont think its too far out.

It definately sounds like a thrust angle thing like you say. Is yours stock or modded for the motor?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 06:36 PM
David
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2004
651 Posts
I modified my fox to electric so I estimated my down thrust. I like your suggestion of mixing in some down elevator with throttle.

What I find is that if I'm flying under power, then cutting the throttle, it goes into a slight dive then porpoises a bit before I get her to level out. Any suggestions on how I should adjust the trim or CG so it doesn't porpoise when the throttle is off? When I'm just gliding, I notice I have a slight bit of up trim dialed in.

-David
dno264 is offline Find More Posts by dno264
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Airacobra
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:21 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlash View Post
Nice, low inverted with flaps .

Fred
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen
Old Jun 16, 2010, 01:34 AM
Northern Ireland
Joined May 2006
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Finally got the Fox airborne after a break in the weather. Axi 2217/20 up front and HS55 & 65MGs on the surfaces. I'm a total rookie when it comes to gliders but I think its a superb flyer, very easy to handle and huge fun

My Hyperion powerset has just arrived (cheers Ming) so hopefully try that out soon

Another great Windrider plane!!!

Hi Flash, your new shiny Fox looks beautiful.
Health to enjoy many hours of fun.
Next you will need to go to the slope, or the sand dunes on the beach.
Take the good lady to the seaside and she can get all tanned up while you have fun with the Fox.

Richard
richard boyd is offline Find More Posts by richard boyd
Old Jun 16, 2010, 09:09 AM
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dno264 View Post

What I find is that if I'm flying under power, then cutting the throttle, it goes into a slight dive then porpoises a bit before I get her to level out. Any suggestions on how I should adjust the trim or CG so it doesn't porpoise when the throttle is off? When I'm just gliding, I notice I have a slight bit of up trim dialed in.

-David
I'm pretty sure that's part of not having enough downthrust as well. Is there any way you can shim the motor without chopping the nose off ?

Hi Fred, Ive got the ailerons programmed for flaps (down) or spoilers (up). I figured inverted with spoilers would be the same as flaps

Cheers Ricardo . Its glorious weather here for a change so making the most with some relaxed flying... ill be in shorts and sunglasses before you know it Unfortunately our sand dunes arn't as picturesque as yours so I think I'll have to resort to aerotow and catch some thermals. Managed 45 mins last night on one lipo ..in the end I had to come it cos it went dark (and I was starving)
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:42 AM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
nice job MrFlash,

and very long flight!
my neck is hurting just thinking about it
but that kind of pain I can live with

nut
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Old Jun 17, 2010, 02:42 AM
Northern Ireland
Joined May 2006
1,212 Posts
Hi Flash , sounds like heaven a relaxing 45min flight, next you will be telling us that you were sipping beer and a beautiful Swedish lady was giving you a massage whilst flying lol.

Richard
Old Jun 17, 2010, 02:45 AM
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard boyd View Post
Hi Flash , sounds like heaven a relaxing 45min flight, next you will be telling us that you were sipping beer and a beautiful Swedish lady was giving you a massage whilst flying lol.

Richard

Only at weekends
Old Jun 19, 2010, 05:21 PM
israel
Joined Oct 2008
47 Posts
hi, i was wondering why the shipping price on the fox just went up to 20$
i'm seriously considering ordering one, when will the free shipping deal return?

thanks
Amit Ofer
aofer is offline Find More Posts by aofer
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:03 PM
Northern Ireland
Joined May 2006
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Crikey matey ..never seen knife edge sloping before

What servos are you using ??? ...they looked to have bags of power...no problem with blowback in the wind ??
Hi Mr.Flash , these are the servos I used on the Fox. I also use them in all my RC-Factory planes. Fantastic value for a really high quality servo.
http://www.expressfly.org.uk/shop/pr...roducts_id=281

Richard
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:17 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,663 Posts
New EP Fox video on YouTube:
RC storm chaser (4 min 13 sec)

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 27, 2010, 03:05 AM
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
Nice vid Ming, it looks to fly well even with two cameras on board.

Hi Richard. Cheers for the servo information. Ill have to bear those in mind for projects down the line. I stocked up on HS55s while theyre going cheap so Im fitting those to No2 (although the metal gears sounds tempting )