HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2007, 10:16 PM
Joined Aug 2007
208 Posts
Discussion
Flying on an Air Force Base...

I live on an AF base, in base housing. I am relatively new to this rc plane thing...been flying on base in various areas (not near the runway or approaches, and not more than about 100 ft).

I'm sure there are other AF members on this forum. Can you tell me if there are any rules governing the flying of rc planes on an AF base?

I suppose more generally speaking; are there rules about flying close to any airfield?

I am flying electric (slow stick at the moment)...can't see flying anything fast or non-electric in the future.

Thanks,
Len

p.s. I am at McGuire AFB in NJ. I can also fly over at Ft Dix Army Post, which McGuire is basically part of.
lendawg1 is offline Find More Posts by lendawg1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2007, 10:24 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Its best to ASK before flying on any military installation.

Some will allow it. Some won't.

You don't want to be flying and have the MP or base security truck pull up and send you back to your work center with a piece of paper saying you'll have to talk with the base CO about a pay reduction.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Sep 08, 2007, 10:42 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lendawg1
I live on an AF base, in base housing. I am relatively new to this rc plane thing...been flying on base in various areas (not near the runway or approaches, and not more than about 100 ft).

I'm sure there are other AF members on this forum. Can you tell me if there are any rules governing the flying of rc planes on an AF base?

I suppose more generally speaking; are there rules about flying close to any airfield?

I am flying electric (slow stick at the moment)...can't see flying anything fast or non-electric in the future.

Thanks,
Len

p.s. I am at McGuire AFB in NJ. I can also fly over at Ft Dix Army Post, which McGuire is basically part of.
I've only been to one AFB that allowed it -Edwards AFB.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Sep 09, 2007 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Duh, forgot about Edwards
Old Sep 08, 2007, 10:59 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,445 Posts
You should ask your CO... some bases do have model airfields. In my area, there is a place called Buckley Air Force Base, and we have a model airfield close to there, and the rule is that we can't fly over 400 ft AGL in that area. Jets fly over all day long, and sometimes they are pretty low. There isn't an issue with radio transmissions or anything, it's the planes themselves. Our airfield would be closed down right away if there was any kind of collision or near-miss.

This basically applies in any areas near any airfield, military or otherwise.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 08, 2007, 11:15 PM
Joined Aug 2004
831 Posts
Be careful where you fly on the base. It depends on what you're at, but if it's one of those where your car's key fob doesn't work, they could be scrambling your channel.
Accu157 is offline Find More Posts by Accu157
Old Sep 09, 2007, 03:37 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
1,563 Posts
I agree check with base security or follow your chain of command and get permission before trying to fly. I would imagine base security would get you the quickest answer since they would be the people enforcing base regs. If RC flying isn't covered, then I would follow the chain of command and get "official permission."
Taylorman is offline Find More Posts by Taylorman
Old Sep 09, 2007, 06:41 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,288 Posts
If you really want to pursue it, then first check with the safety office. Contacting anyone else will only cause head scratching and confusion. Especially by the SF's and anyone in your immediate chain of command. They certainly aren't going to make that decision. All they will imagine is you flying your SS into a C-17 or KC-10. Wing safety is definitely the place to check.

Let us know how it goes.

Frank
Old Sep 09, 2007, 10:15 AM
Joined Aug 2007
208 Posts
Thanks everyone for the inputs. Especially the one warning me about "Key Fob Jammers"...got a chuckle out of that one.

This makes the most sense:
Quote:
Originally Posted by murocflyer
If you really want to pursue it, then first check with the safety office. Contacting anyone else will only cause head scratching and confusion. Especially by the SF's and anyone in your immediate chain of command. They certainly aren't going to make that decision. All they will imagine is you flying your SS into a C-17 or KC-10. Wing safety is definitely the place to check.

Let us know how it goes.

Frank
Thanks Mr Scorpio!
I guess I would be one of those "head scratchers", as I never thought about the safety office. In fact, I just met the Chief of Wing Safety the other day...she's friends with my commander.

For those not acquainted with the AF; Asking the wrong person for permission to do something can guarantee denial. Once denied, looking elsewhere for a better answer is frowned upon.
Old Sep 09, 2007, 10:25 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,288 Posts
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the inputs. Especially the one warning me about "Key Fob Jammers"...got a chuckle out of that one.

This makes the most sense:

Thanks Mr Scorpio!
I guess I would be one of those "head scratchers", as I never thought about the safety office. In fact, I just met the Chief of Wing Safety the other day...she's friends with my commander.

For those not acquainted with the AF; Asking the wrong person for permission to do something can guarantee denial. Once denied, looking elsewhere for a better answer is frowned upon.
Glad to help and good luck with your quest. I know a lot of AFBs with some sweet looking real estate to fly planes on, especially small electric planes. Please do follow up here with what you find out and let us know. You just might start something good. Oh and don't take No as your answer, at least at first anyway, because I guarantee you will here that when you ask. I'm hoping you'll get a "we'll look into that" response.

One other avenue you might approach this at is MWR or another type of club on base. There is safety in numbers -meaning the more folks that want to do it the better. Also, make sure you let them know you have insurance through AMA, the marine base I was on allowed only AMA members to fly there.

Frank

PS I forgot to mention that Edwards AFB allows RC planes. But their field is 10 miles from the flight line at least, so it might be a different story there. But if you meet resistance, I would contact some folks out there and see how they get away with it. Precedence is set. if you need some help with POCs just let me know.

Good luck.
Old Sep 09, 2007, 11:02 AM
Joined Aug 2007
208 Posts
Frank, could you PM me the name of an active duty rc flyer out at Edwards? I can then find him in the Global and shoot him an email.

Strange, something GOOD about being stationed at Edwards!
Old Sep 09, 2007, 11:28 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
I am in the process of setting up a AMA charter club ON Ft. Campbell, KY. It is NOT an easy process. The only way the post will allow it is if it is an AMA field (insurance)So far I have gone through Range Control (runs all the training areas), Post Safety, Aviation Safety, Post Legal Office, and Air Traffic Control. We even have to put in a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) 10 days prior to flying, every time.

Everyone thinks its a good idea, and they have all approved it, but they all have their $0.02 they want to put in for restrictions. Nothing major though. Shortly the paperwork will be at the Commanding General for his signature. Then it will be a "done deal". So, it is possible, just takes a little time and some leg work.

I did find out that there is a lady whos job is to handle "civilian type" outside organizations on the installation. She normally handles things like Boy Scouts and the like, but this fell into her area so she has been EXTREMELY helpful in taking care of some of the paperwork for me.

Good luck!!! And dont give up on it.

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Sep 09, 2007, 11:31 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,288 Posts
Quote:
Frank, could you PM me the name of an active duty rc flyer out at Edwards? I can then find him in the Global and shoot him an email.

Will do. Might take a bit, but I'll get back to you.

RE Edwards, if you only knew.

Laine,

Good info there. Glad to hear it's working out!

Frank
Old Sep 09, 2007, 11:59 AM
Joined Aug 2007
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
I am in the process of setting up a AMA charter club ON Ft. Campbell, KY. It is NOT an easy process. The only way the post will allow it is if it is an AMA field (insurance)So far I have gone through Range Control (runs all the training areas), Post Safety, Aviation Safety, Post Legal Office, and Air Traffic Control. We even have to put in a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) 10 days prior to flying, every time.

Everyone thinks its a good idea, and they have all approved it, but they all have their $0.02 they want to put in for restrictions. Nothing major though. Shortly the paperwork will be at the Commanding General for his signature. Then it will be a "done deal". So, it is possible, just takes a little time and some leg work.

I did find out that there is a lady whos job is to handle "civilian type" outside organizations on the installation. She normally handles things like Boy Scouts and the like, but this fell into her area so she has been EXTREMELY helpful in taking care of some of the paperwork for me.

Good luck!!! And dont give up on it.

Laine.
Man, that is really starting to sound like WORK. I am familiar with the "lady" you refer to...I was the treasurer of our Sqdn non-profit org.

btw, I like your tagline "Your village called".
Old Sep 09, 2007, 01:13 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,288 Posts
Quote:

Contact one of these guys. I'm sure they can help you out very quickly.

http://www.murocmodelmasters.org/directormenu.shtml

Frank
Old Sep 09, 2007, 01:33 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Quote:
Man, that is really starting to sound like WORK. I am familiar with the "lady" you refer to...I was the treasurer of our Sqdn non-profit org.

btw, I like your tagline "Your village called".

Yeah, its been kinda tough, but in the end it will all be worth it, I hope. The worst part is, once its all said and done, I will only have a couple months before I deploy again for 15 months... who knows what will happen while Im gone. Who will "run" the field? Who will break the rules? grrrr.... could get ugly by the time I get back.

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69