WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
Build Log
1940 Chris-Craft Barrel Back

Length: 28-1/2 inches Beam: 9-1/2 inches Scale: 1/8th
Dumas Kit #1234

This is my third runabout. My first boat was a Laughing Whale mahogany runabout, and then I built a Dumas 1930
24 ft. Chris-Craft Mahogany Runabout. I started this build in July of 1995.
Framing was straightforward, Dumas lays it out great, supplies easy to follow instructions and guides to get the lines correct. Once it was framed and the diagonal plywood was attached and faired, I ordered new mahogany from Northeastern Scale Lumber Company.
I found the Dumas mahogany was very thirsty, and since I wasnít going to glass anything above the waterline, I didnít want to apply coat after coat after coat of Hoby Poxy clear, as I did on the 1930 24í Runabout.
This is where I deviate from the plans. Iím going to build a 1939 version of a 19í Chris~Craft Barrel Back Custom. The crafts are very similar but the 39ís have a different dash, some of the deck fittings are unique and it has solid cover boards. Instead of planking the boat with the Dumas 3/8Ē mahogany strips, I wanted to plank the boat as real runabouts are planked. I dug out my proportional dividers and set to work dividing the sides of the hull so I could cover them with boards that fit the contour of the hull. First, I covered the hull with tracing paper, established the overall height and length of the hull, and then divided that up to shape my boards. I made a set of paper planks from stencil board for the starboard side only, thinking if I shape two boards exactly the same Iíd have both sides covered, and it worked. It was a fun exercise and I am pleased with the results. Once I had all the planks glued to the bottom, sides, transom and deck, sanded and faired, I fiber glassed the bottom. I was ready to hit it with the clear coat. This is where replacing the mahogany paid off. I think I got six coats sprayed and the surface was about done. Now was the time to think about running gear. I purchased a Kyosho REV Marine Motor to power the Barrel Back. I didnít want to bury the motor as the plans call for; instead I figured I could make some sort of v-drive mount to keep the motor in the engine compartment. After weeks of struggling with this concept, frustrated, I placed the hull on a shelf and didnít touch it for 11 years. Besides, I had a couple of young kids at the time and wanted to spend my free time with them.
June 2007. Kids are grown, got time, the Barrel Back is screaming at me. Once the hull was back on the workbench it seemed very clear how to mount a motor. Months earlier I found a 6-volt Kroker SeaWasp on eBay, this was the new motor for the Barrel Back. The Rube Goldberg mount for the Kyosho was out. I messed around for a few weeks making the mount for the Kroker; it was OK, but not right. The SeaWasp I bought did not have the water-cooling jacket, something I liked about these motors. Only the brush housing was water-cooled. Then I found a 6-volt Kroker SeaPup on eBay, fully water-cooled. Again, another new motor mount. I cut out the mounts that had been in the hull since 1996, used white oak to build the new motor mount and finally got the SeaWasp mounted, fully water cooled. Cool. I still have a long way to go on this build and everything seems to take forever. Besides getting a motor mounted, all Iíve done is cut out the dash. Keep ya posted. Lots to do, lots to doÖ

Planking reference: PLANKING TECHNIQUES FOR MODEL SHIP BUILDERS by Donald Dressel and PLANKING THE BUILT-UP SHIP MODEL by Jim Roberts.

woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Last edited by woodybob; Mar 24, 2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added link
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2007, 08:35 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,995 Posts
Oh, this is going to be good!!

The belt drive looks killer, Pat.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 08, 2007, 09:18 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Looking amazing!!! Thanks for the tip about the planking! You're right about the Dumas planking being too narrow and not following the "right" lines... I have a BB kit on the shelf that I am thinking of building as a 1940+ version with the rounder foredeck and more 'conventional' windscreen... more work though!

Kmot, don't you have a C*C on the shelf somewhere?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Sep 08, 2007, 10:19 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,995 Posts
Actually, two. A Cobra that I bought partially constructed. And a closed cabin that woodybob gave me.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 08, 2007, 11:17 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,729 Posts
Hey Woodybob; Great wood work and killer pictures. Can't wait to see the finished boat.
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Sep 09, 2007, 12:08 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Oooo! I forgot about the Deluxe!!! Hopefully, Woodybob will get you inspired!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Sep 09, 2007, 12:05 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Oh, this is going to be good!!

The belt drive looks killer, Pat.
Thanks Tom, only took 11 years
Old Sep 09, 2007, 12:20 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
Thanks Aerominded & norgale, I hope the rest of this build won't take as long as getting the motor mounted.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 01:51 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
Progress on the dash, whittled out the brass part of the instrument panel, stuck in fake gauges and knobs to see how it looked. Time for some solderin'.
Last edited by woodybob; Sep 18, 2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 02:35 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,759 Posts
Nah, I think you'd better start all over again Pat...
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Sep 18, 2007, 02:38 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
Nah, I think you'd better start all over again Pat...
And when he does start over that one can be sent my way as I would hate to see one go to waste.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:07 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
Sorry Keith, looks like a keeper. So far...
Last edited by woodybob; Sep 18, 2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 01:22 PM
Joined Oct 2005
55 Posts
Congratulations, very nice work.

I love the idea with planking and the result. It is just fantastic.
METI is offline Find More Posts by METI
Old Sep 01, 2010, 11:48 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
Bob,

What's been happening with this hull? Inquiring minds really wanna know!
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2010, 10:45 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,134 Posts
Err aÖ collecting dust while I mess with this old tug.