SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2007, 05:19 PM
Joined Sep 2007
6 Posts
Discussion
Will This Motor Work With This?

hello guys i am new here and i am very new to rc cars and had a newbie question im sure. my question is whether or not the motor i want to get (mamba brushless 6800kv... seen here ) will work with my esc (a stock propulse of which i know nothing about besides that i used it with a brushed motor). I really want to put the mamba in cause it is soooo much faster but i dont want to have to buy the package which costs like $120. so if you just tell me if that motor will work or not would help. thanks
ViRtUaLvIrUs is offline Find More Posts by ViRtUaLvIrUs
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2007, 05:39 PM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
A brushless motor needs a brushless speed controller.
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Last edited by ronmeister; Sep 07, 2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2007, 05:47 PM
Joined Sep 2007
6 Posts
thats what i thought. well, i dont really want to spend a lot on a motor so what about brushed motors such as this one i dont need a new esc for that do i? and will it give me more power cause right now i hit about 20 mph and would like to bump that up. also what about a larger motor? will it fit? thanks
Old Sep 07, 2007, 06:08 PM
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Well hey, you can buy that motor, and use a cheap off brand brushless esc.
I bet you could find an off brand one that can support 25 amps for less than 30 dollars. But, this would be a heli/plane esc.
Old Sep 07, 2007, 07:37 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Jun 2007
292 Posts
go all out for that mamba 6.8k combo, worth every penny. Cheapest place to get it is here:http://www.b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=36 can't beat that.
Growf911 is offline Find More Posts by Growf911
Old Sep 08, 2007, 12:38 PM
Joined Sep 2007
6 Posts
thanks guys. i think i will go with the mamba 6.8k combo for $100 cuz thats a really good price. also do you guys have any suggestions for batteries cuz the ones i have now are some 1400mah 7.2v NiMh 6 cells that should push this thing to 27mph according to this site. but if i get the 3 cell lipo i will be pushin 50 which for a 1/16 or any car is blazing fast but those lipos are expensive unless i get the 2 cell which is fine with me but if you guys have any suggestions on where i can get it cheap would be awsome.
Old Sep 08, 2007, 12:51 PM
Joined Sep 2007
6 Posts
or i could go the way ronmeister said and get the mamba seen here for $50 and the esc seen here for $36 for a total of $86. but will those even work together? the mamba stock is 25 amps while this one is 36 amps. does that matter or does it just mean it can handle higher amps? i seriously dont have money to just throw around and like to get the best bang for my buck so do you think those would be good?
Old Sep 08, 2007, 03:27 PM
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Both ways are good to go in my opinion.
Yes they can be used together, and the esc will be capable of handling more amps the motor will draw.
But, then again, if you use the mamba system, there are probably some advantages that way because they were designed to be used together.

Ron
Old Sep 08, 2007, 04:39 PM
washington
Joined Dec 2006
1,620 Posts
Go with the Mamba, it's worth it! it sucks to not have brakes and reverse! As far as the lipo goes, check out MaxAmps' 1550 11.1v. You might find some a little cheaper, but MaxAmps is one of the best out there right now. Lipo isn't something you have to do right now though, but if and when you do make sure you have a good quality pack. I don't even know if the Propulse can handle that much power of lipo and BL.
mtfly2000 is offline Find More Posts by mtfly2000
Old Sep 08, 2007, 06:36 PM
Joined Sep 2007
6 Posts
cool. i looked at that maxamps and it seems good but it says a 31 amp constant discharge which means i couldnt use the mamba stock. also what type of connector do the two use? and that esc does have brakes and reverse.
Last edited by ViRtUaLvIrUs; Sep 08, 2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2007, 11:36 PM
washington
Joined Dec 2006
1,620 Posts
No the Thunderbirds do not reverse! What they mean by that is that you can switch 2 of the motor wires to make the motor turn the other direction. That is not a true reverse. 31amp constant is more than enough for a 1/18 like the Propulse, and the 1550 will slip right into the battery compartment with little to no modifying. I don't believe they come with connectors, but you may as well go with Deans. They are the most common around right now and rated for 70amp.
mtfly2000 is offline Find More Posts by mtfly2000
Old Sep 09, 2007, 11:30 AM
Joined Sep 2007
6 Posts
ok i see what you are saying sorry about that. but my other question was whether or not the stock mamba esc could handle that battery since it is rated at 25 amps and that battery is a constant discharge of 31 amps.