HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2007, 04:44 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,949 Posts
Discussion
Best type motor connector?

At what point does the Dean 3 pin connector become to lightweight for a motor connector? The motor I have just wound should pull a max of 19-20 amps. and probably only in short bursts. Will a Dean's 3 pin connector be sufficient or will it get hot? I also have some bullet type connectors I can use but I'd rather not because I think they would be be heavier. Any opinions? Rcnutt
rcnutt is offline Find More Posts by rcnutt
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2007, 05:27 AM
Average User
Bakersfield, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,726 Posts
Here's a good article.
http://www.flyrc.com/articles/connectors_1.shtml

Mike
M Ashmore is offline Find More Posts by M Ashmore
Old Sep 07, 2007, 09:35 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,084 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but the 3 pin Deans are way too small for a motor that will be used up to 20A. even for short bursts. At this power level I can't imagine why the weight of bullets would be an issue
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Sep 07, 2007, 10:05 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,352 Posts
It's easier to solder 3 wires than 6 connectors, lighter, and cheaper.

Chuck
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Sep 07, 2007, 01:41 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
It's easier to solder 3 wires than 6 connectors, lighter, and cheaper.

Chuck

I'd rather solder bullet or MP Jet Gold connectors on any day - I think soldering leads on to those MicroDeans is a real PITA!!

I added Gold connectors to 7 Suppo motors the other day (a total of 21, 2.5mm male connectors and shrink tube) - in less than 30 minutes! It takes me at least 10 minutes to do one MicroDeans - or at least it seems that long.

The main point though, is that 3-pin MicroDeans are really not suitable for 20A or so - I did some comparative tests with 3-pin MicroDeans and 1.8mm Gold Connectors - the MicroDeans noticeably reduced the amp draw to the motor, and got hot while doing so at only 10A-15A.

I just weighed twenty 2.5mm male Gold Connectors = 12g - that's only 0.6g each! (females are even lighter).

If I recall correctly 1.8mm Gold connectors weigh well under half that, so you are talking about <2g for a full set of six 1.8mm connectors (which can cope with 25A).
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; Sep 07, 2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2007, 02:36 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,949 Posts
Soldering the wires together is of course the best way but then you can't switch motors if you wanted to. I guess I'll use my bullet type connectors. It seems everyone is in agreement that the Dean's 3 pin is not heavy enough. Thanx guys for the feedback. I appreciate it a lot. RCNutt
Old Sep 07, 2007, 04:01 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,352 Posts
Soldering to the Micro Deans isn't what aggravates me, it's the fact that the pins get loose in the plastic housing and push out, leaving a bad or no connection. I've replaced all my Micros because of that. I also like the MPJet connectors for connectivity and weight. I wish I had started with those. To convert from Deans Ultra would cost a small fortune now.. Oops, OT, this thread is about motor connectors, sorry.

Yes, MPJet for the motor, definitely.

Chuck
Chuck is online now Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Sep 08, 2007, 05:50 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,949 Posts
I agree with you about the pins coming loose. About two weeks ago A friend was flying my fast little flying wing and all of a sudden there was zero power and zero control. It crashed. Upon examination I found a wirehad slid out of the Deans micro connector plastic body. The connectors I have put on my new motor was from United Hobbies. It wasn't there biggest one and I don't remember the exact amp rating of the connector, but I know the amp rating was plenty high enough for this motor and it fits nice and tight. I have yet to run the motor. I just got it wound the other day and need to make a motor mount for it. Thanx for writing in. RCNutt
Old Sep 09, 2007, 02:33 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Soldering to the Micro Deans isn't what aggravates me, it's the fact that the pins get loose in the plastic housing and push out, leaving a bad or no connection. I've replaced all my Micros because of that. I also like the MPJet connectors for connectivity and weight. I wish I had started with those. To convert from Deans Ultra would cost a small fortune now.. Oops, OT, this thread is about motor connectors, sorry.

Yes, MPJet for the motor, definitely.

Chuck
I got into MP Jet Connectors early on - so my packs, ESC's and motors all have 'em now. The trouble is I have to make up three wire patch cords for all the varieties of connectors that manufacturers fit to the brushless motors I get for testing. There are MicroDeans 3-pin, fake MicroDeans 3-pin with different spacing, those skinny 2mm bullets, 2.4mm bullets, and of course the relatively standard 3.5mm bullets (but even different brands of those are not interchangeable - Jeti 3.5mm and cheap Chinese 3.5mm don't work together).

I just bought another three dozen male MP Jet 2.5mm from AC World - the best source I know of.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi