HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Chris F, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:51 AM
I'm flying ! (run for cover)
Greece, South Aegean, Thira
Joined Nov 2004
727 Posts
Hi Louis!

This method you describe is better, and it is "real-life", not theory.
But how can you measure the static thrust ? Do you have to buy the motor first and mount it somehow, to measure ? Or you rely on the specifications ?
From what I see, it is rare to find the static thrust on a website, and if they do mention it, it is only for the slow-fly motors, and they do not mention the prop with which the thrust was achieved.
dtrip is offline Find More Posts by dtrip
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2011, 06:01 PM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
3,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrip View Post
Hi Louis!

This method you describe is better, and it is "real-life", not theory.
But how can you measure the static thrust ? Do you have to buy the motor first and mount it somehow, to measure ? Or you rely on the specifications ?
From what I see, it is rare to find the static thrust on a website, and if they do mention it, it is only for the slow-fly motors, and they do not mention the prop with which the thrust was achieved.
Hi
The static thrust is related to the selected prop and rpm
Also the power (at prop shaft) is a function of rpm
The motor and ESC and battery has to provide the prop the correct rpm.
There are different calculators with a prop library to give all that
For example Scorpion Calc freeware
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:02 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1 Posts
This was a HUGE HELP..I am a complete rookie and i wanna get into this hobby.i want to build one of my own from scrap. it appears as a good way to get into it would be by starting with kits. but for sum reason i feel like it wouldnt be as fun. so i am hear READING AWAY>>!! thanks guys
Damenace is offline Find More Posts by Damenace
Last edited by Damenace; Mar 22, 2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:33 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damenace View Post
This was a HUGE HELP..I am a complete rookie and i wanna get into this hobby.i want to build one of my own from scrap. it appears as a good way to get into it would be by starting with kits. but for sum reason i feel like it wouldnt be as fun. so i am hear READING AWAY>>!! thanks guys
I suggest people start with an RTF, learn to fly, then go to designing and kits. This way you know you have the ability. Any problem you have with the kit or your own deigns will be easier to find when you take yourself out of the list of things that might not be working.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:35 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damenace View Post
Why don't do both ?
There are lot's of free plans on the web, just google it. During your build, fly a cheap RTF to get a feeling of what you like and don't like.

Peter
wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:50 AM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
Awesome Awesome Awesome thread!!
Thank you very much for all the information, Getting into this hobby is daunting enough, but with everybody taking the time to post this info for us "noobs", it makes it a whole lot easier!
Thank you
whit1721 is offline Find More Posts by whit1721
Old Apr 25, 2011, 11:38 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
946 Posts
This helped me understand batteries soo much more
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Old May 05, 2011, 09:03 AM
Joined May 2011
16 Posts
thanks its very nice article
uday is offline Find More Posts by uday
Old May 25, 2011, 02:13 AM
Singapore, flies GFK
Singapore, Singapore
Joined May 2011
8 Posts
help!

is it possible fo give an example of good prop
engine
lipo
speed control
for a fomie 3D
jambutty is offline Find More Posts by jambutty
Old Jun 09, 2011, 05:39 PM
United States, WY, Guernsey
Joined Jun 2011
12 Posts
?

This was a great article, I am very new to this and this helped a ton. Now as I am learning more and more about this hobby I am finding I am still getting lost. Can anyone help with some more lingo and things to consider on building or finishing planes. For example I am seeing this Power 46 BL outrunner motors for the recommended motors. I understand the BL outrunner motors, but what is the power 46 refering to, does 180 or 480 brushless refer to the power, model. Also what do I need to consider when I am upgrading a plane. I am looking at a super cub, I have the mini, and later on if I wanted more, say power what do I need to consider when upgrading? Battery, ESC, motor so on I know what they do and are, but don't fully understand what makes them work great together and not understanding how to choose the best fit for each other. Really I guess what I am asking is could someone look at a plane http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...f/HAN4450.html, and explain what all the specs are really saying, and the "what you will need" is saying. Still learning the translation of all this info. Im not planning on buying this plane, but am completly lost at the list. Sorry for the lengthy message just trying to learn, been reading a lot and still have questions. Thank you for your time.
RDhero is offline Find More Posts by RDhero
Last edited by RDhero; Jun 09, 2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Wanted an addition
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:27 AM
Pimpsac
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Wow this is great thank you for posting this. It has cleared up alot.
Pimpsac is offline Find More Posts by Pimpsac
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:45 AM
USA, CT, North Haven
Joined Aug 2010
15 Posts
yup, great post, really help beginners.
1stplane is offline Find More Posts by 1stplane
Old Aug 25, 2011, 03:20 AM
IWantToFly
United States, AK, Dillingham
Joined Jul 2011
145 Posts
i need help selecting a brushless motor for this plane;
http://www.amazon.com/RC-Airplanes-7...4256484&sr=8-2
i would think something with at least 150 watts would be decent enough. its for a friend of mine. i will really appreciate input

thanks,
speedy
speedyAK is offline Find More Posts by speedyAK
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:12 PM
Obsessive Information Sponge
Joined Apr 2011
31 Posts
it sounds as though the only way to determine the the actual amp draw of a particular power system is to physically use all of those components and take measurements or find someone who already has; is this the case?
RuthlessINXS is offline Find More Posts by RuthlessINXS
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:33 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
3,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthlessINXS View Post
it sounds as though the only way to determine the the actual amp draw of a particular power system is to physically use all of those components and take measurements or find someone who already has; is this the case?
Hi
If you want precise values .. Yes
If you want 'in the ball park" predictions you have some free calculators
Scorpion Calc, Dualsky Calc, DriveCalc, Peakeff and a lot more
see the sticky thread here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606703
If your motor is not in the library use the edit-custom feature
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan