HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Chris F, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 06, 2011, 06:06 PM
King of Crash
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
ok so i'm also a noob only im using one arm now but i need to replace my motor and esc now which is a brushed 370 size greatplanes piece of crap spinning an 11x4.7 piece of pain with an 11.1v 3 cell 15-20c parkzone battery and a 25a deep fried esc with a gross weight of 15 oz. what would i need to go brushless at a budget.
Chanesaw is offline Find More Posts by Chanesaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2011, 06:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanesaw View Post
ok so i'm also a noob only im using one arm now but i need to replace my motor and esc now which is a brushed 370 size greatplanes piece of crap spinning an 11x4.7 piece of pain with an 11.1v 3 cell 15-20c parkzone battery and a 25a deep fried esc with a gross weight of 15 oz. what would i need to go brushless at a budget.
You're running a brushed 370 motor with a 3s LiPo and an 11" prop, with no gearbox???? No wonder the motor got toasted.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 06, 2011, 06:28 PM
King of Crash
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
You're running a brushed 370 motor with a 3s LiPo and an 11" prop, with no gearbox???? No wonder the motor got toasted.
Lemme rephrase that bla bla bla bla bla Brushed 370 WITH A 5:1 gearbox, bla
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:10 AM
Malaysia, Selangor, Seri Kembangan
Joined Mar 2010
26 Posts
hai all ....
i need help, how can i determine prop saiz if the vendor not say what suggestion prop can used for certain motor...
hanafeearis is offline Find More Posts by hanafeearis
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:42 PM
King of Crash
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanafeearis View Post
hai all ....
i need help, how can i determine prop saiz if the vendor not say what suggestion prop can used for certain motor...

flip a coin
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
hai all ....
See this tutorial on how to do it easily...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1136470
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:29 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Quote:
hai all ....
There are a variety of "calculators" on the web. Some are free and some are not. The free ones tend to be simple but not very comprehensive ( read the first couple of pages of this discussion )

One that I use is Webocalc. Not very comprehensive but it is free.
http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/

If you have a specific plane in mind, put in its numbers. If not, then just approximate something.

Put in the max prop size, (based on ground clearence deisred and a starting pitch speed of 45 mph and any thrust number.

Put in the max amps and kV rating of the motor as well as the the proper battery pack cell count. Some props will be suggested.

Vary the amperage or pitch speed to see various prop suggestions.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 04, 2011, 06:52 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Gustafs, Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
1,968 Posts
Drivecalc is free and has a motor library. It also has a propcalc for computing effiency.
That's the only calc I use. But, use the calcs as a starting point and then measure live data.

Peter
wolw is offline Find More Posts by wolw
Old Mar 07, 2011, 06:46 AM
I'm flying ! (run for cover)
Greece, South Aegean, Thira
Joined Nov 2004
727 Posts
After reading a lot of this stuff, I have come to the following "recipe",
It is an attempt to simplify things, by an example.
could you please verify it is correct ?

[1] We begin by knowing (or guessing) the weight and speed required for the model.
[2] From the weight we determine the Watts and from the speed we determine rpm/prop combination.
[3] We try to find a proper motor/prop combination that conforms with the above.
It is difficult to determine the optimal power system for our model, but it is relatively easy to determine a decent one.

For example, for a 16 oz, 1m Cessna, we could assume 120 Watts power and 50 mph speed. Suppose some motor works at 12 Amps at 3 cells, revolving a 9x7 prop at 8000 rpm. This yields power = 12 x 11.1 = 133.2 Watts, and speed = rpm x pitch/1056 = 53 mph. Ok this sounds good enough !

Suppose another motor works at 12 Amps, revolving a 10 x 4.7 prop at 6000 rpm. This yields 133.2 Watts which is nice, but speed = rpm x pitch / 1056 = 6000 x 4.7 / 1056 = 26 mph. Oh gee, this is too slow fly, even at full throttle it will not go faster than 26 mph, so this is not a good power system for our airplane. Even if it manages to take off, it will remain dangerously close to stall speed, and therefore will not provide a fun experience.

Could you please verify that the above reasoning is correct ?
dtrip is offline Find More Posts by dtrip
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:04 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrip View Post

[1] We begin by knowing (or guessing) the weight and speed required for the model.
[2] From the weight we determine the Watts and from the speed we determine rpm/prop combination.
[3] We try to find a proper motor/prop combination that conforms with the above.
It is difficult to determine the optimal power system for our model, but it is relatively easy to determine a decent one.

For example, for a 16 oz, 1m Cessna, we could assume 120 Watts power and 50 mph speed. Suppose some motor works at 12 Amps at 3 cells, revolving a 9x7 prop at 8000 rpm. This yields power = 12 x 11.1 = 133.2 Watts, and speed = rpm x pitch/1056 = 53 mph. Ok this sounds good enough !

Suppose another motor works at 12 Amps, revolving a 10 x 4.7 prop at 6000 rpm. This yields 133.2 Watts which is nice, but speed = rpm x pitch / 1056 = 6000 x 4.7 / 1056 = 26 mph. Oh gee, this is too slow fly, even at full throttle it will not go faster than 26 mph, so this is not a good power system for our airplane. Even if it manages to take off, it will remain dangerously close to stall speed, and therefore will not provide a fun experience.

Hi Dtrip
Weight and speed is important but
** plane style and piloting is also important
If you have a hand launching or launching from grass ..
If you have a trainer or a glider or a racer ..
If you have a solar plane ..
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:31 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Quote:

That is a pretty good summary. Add Fourdan's comments about type of flying and you can further tune your target motor system.

If you are going to select your own power systems, as opposed to buying planes that have motors already installed, then it is probably a good idea to invest in once of the calc programs that help you "model" a variety of combinations till you find one you really like.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:44 AM
Joined Nov 2004
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdan View Post
Hi Dtrip
Weight and speed is important but
** plane style and piloting is also important
If you have a hand launching or launching from grass ..
If you have a trainer or a glider or a racer ..
If you have a solar plane ..
Louis
Hello !

Pilot and plane style is of course greatly important, but don't you think that it can be expressed by "max speed" ?
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Hello !

Pilot and plane style is of course greatly important, but don't you think that it can be expressed by "max speed" ?
Not really at all.

Take the case of a plane like your example Cessna propped to only go 20 mph top speed.

For one pilot, looking to fly 3D with it, it may be ideal for his style. But for another, looking to fly scale like, it would not be what he was after.
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:49 AM
Joined Nov 2004
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
That is a pretty good summary. Add Fourdan's comments about type of flying and you can further tune your target motor system.

If you are going to select your own power systems, as opposed to buying planes that have motors already installed, then it is probably a good idea to invest in once of the calc programs that help you "model" a variety of combinations till you find one you really like.
Thanks !
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:54 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Hello !

Hi
In my opinion .. yes but
The two major "parameters" are
a) Static thrust
b) Pitch speed (or speed for prop transparency)
The product is proportional to watts out
If you count on the motor-gear box efficiency (could be 80%) you have all.

So I prefer a) and b) parameters instead of a) OR b) + the product a)b)

For take off from grass you need static thrust
For hovering you need static thrust
For a racer you need pitch speed

Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Last edited by Fourdan; Aug 21, 2011 at 03:13 AM.