Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 06, 2007, 09:38 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Rant
Has anyone had a FedEx package delivered at 11 p.m.?

I know, it sounds weird, but it "allegedly" happened to me -- at least according to FedEx and the tracking number.

I called this morning after checking online, since it was supposed to be received today, and they sure-enough said that it was technically delivered, but that the driver would go by there again and make sure it wasn't delivered to the wrong address or anything like that.

Sounds kind of iffy to me. I live in a really safe neighborhood, so the chances of it getting stolen are close to zero.

Getting delivered to the wrong address? Sure, perhaps. It technically was really late...

But to me it sounds like the driver never delivered it yet he/she marked it as delivered. Why? Beats me...

Maybe it'll be on the front porch this afternoon, who knows...

Anyway, has that ever happened to anyone -- a package delivered that late into the evening/night?

Thanks!
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Sep 06, 2007, 09:41 AM
Happy Trees
Colorady
Joined Mar 2005
1,332 Posts
Never at 11pm, but they have come by after 9pm before.
m4rs is offline Find More Posts by m4rs
Old Sep 06, 2007, 09:43 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
I've never had them come that late either, maybe 6 or so at the very latest. But 9 p.m. still seems kind of late!

I'm surprised the driver would still want to be working that late in the first place...
Old Sep 06, 2007, 01:42 PM
Electric Relaxation
Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2004
2,481 Posts
I just saw a FedEx truck making deliveries at about 10 p.m. a couple of days ago.
GalantVR4 is offline Find More Posts by GalantVR4
Old Sep 06, 2007, 02:05 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Hopefully my package didn't get delivered in Chicago!
Old Sep 06, 2007, 02:36 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
I and one of my co-worker friends went to install a telephone at 11:30pm. It was one of those days where there were folks who called in sick and there were orders left, and we were required to make an appearance.

The folks said: "It's 11:30!" My buddy, both of us over it by this time says, "yes, you want your phone or not?"

Fed Ex seems to deliver to the wrong address more often than the others. Although they usually deliver the package without it being smashed, as UPS tends to do very often. Good thing my neighbors are nice, although once the lady had been out of town, dragged my package in and ignored it for a couple days before realizing it was not for her.

I think priority mail has the best service, in my experience, however, regular parcel post is unpredictable, I once had a small package sent parcel post through the USPS from St. Louis, a days drive, and it took 15 days.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Sep 08, 2007, 03:40 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Alas, FedEx now considers the package to be "lost." Go figure. They claim someone came by the neighborhood yesterday, and they say they checked my front porch and the package wasn't there.

REALLY?!?!?!? Surprising, eh? That's why I called them in the first place, right because the package wasn't there?

(Nothing was mentioned by them about the fact that they delivered it at almost 11 p.m. and the streets all have the same name, but they're Drive, Crest, Ridge, ..., AND all the houses look pretty much alike)

C'mon, FedEx, you can do better than that!

I guess now it's time to do a claim and sit and wait...

Frankly, I feel worse for the shipper, who has to deal with FedEx's incompetence.

(Ahh, I feel better now that I've vented )
Old Sep 08, 2007, 09:28 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
the streets all have the same name, but they're Drive, Crest, Ridge, ..., AND all the houses look pretty much alike

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ggVy7QsTsPw
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Sep 08, 2007, 09:31 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Haha, that was pretty good (and much-needed) comic relief!
Old Sep 08, 2007, 09:34 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
My story...the short version:

Ordered package

checked shipping company's website during transit

Said it was delivered, but I never got it

Website gave street address, but it was one similar to mine in another town 5 miles away !

Drove to the guy's house it was "delivered" to

Asked him about it, said he never got package

Went to shipping place the next day

It was never actually delivered, delivery man realised address mistake, then entered it in his computer as delivered so he could quit for the night

my package was still on his truck waiting to be delivered that afternoon
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Sep 08, 2007, 10:00 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee
My story...the short version:

Ordered package

checked shipping company's website during transit

Said it was delivered, but I never got it

Website gave street address, but it was one similar to mine in another town 5 miles away !

Drove to the guy's house it was "delivered" to

Asked him about it, said he never got package

Went to shipping place the next day

It was never actually delivered, delivery man realised address mistake, then entered it in his computer as delivered so he could quit for the night

my package was still on his truck waiting to be delivered that afternoon
Nice...

Well, it looks like there's no street with the same name as mine where I live, so that seems to be out of the question.

We'll see what happens. I think the claim is under way...
Old Sep 09, 2007, 02:00 AM
"Cracking Toast Grommit!"
Sanford, NC
Joined Feb 2005
679 Posts
I had FedEx come up to the house at 10:30, and left my Clancy Aviation Turbo Bee kit laying on the stoop, with balsa falling out of the crushed box.
They weren't even in a FedEx truck, it was some sort of rental truck is all I could make out as he sped away.

I've tried to ship all my kits USPS priority mail insured after that.
No problems now.
metalbuggy is offline Find More Posts by metalbuggy
Old Sep 09, 2007, 02:08 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbuggy
I had FedEx come up to the house at 10:30, and left my Clancy Aviation Turbo Bee kit laying on the stoop, with balsa falling out of the crushed box.
They weren't even in a FedEx truck, it was some sort of rental truck is all I could make out as he sped away.

No problems now.
That's my favorite way to have things shipped as well.
In fact I just ordered two of the little 10gram out runners to experiment with from UH and hope that's how the ship.
10 gram motors sound really tiny.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Sep 09, 2007, 10:06 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbuggy

No problems now.
Hey, at least they delivered it!

You know, you bring out an interesting point: I was talking with the local-hub folks yesterday, and they mentioned something about them getting in touch with "the person who owns that route." And I was reading about it some more online, and what they have is a lot of contract drivers, especially for ground deliveries.

What could that mean? Well, for starters, FedEx can claim it wasn't their fault, since it wasn't technically their "employee" who messed up. And same thing for the drivers: It's not like FedEx is their "boss" per say, so they have more leeway to do whatever they see fit. Sure, there may be consequences to it, but it's not such a direct employer-employee relationship.

Either way, FedEx will have to do something about it, whether it's because of an employee's fault or a contract driver's carelessness.
Old Sep 09, 2007, 10:08 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbobaker
That's my favorite way to have things shipped as well.
In fact I just ordered two of the little 10gram out runners to experiment with from UH and hope that's how the ship.
10 gram motors sound really tiny.
Yeah, I love USPS. Much faster, too that's what surprises me, actually. But I love it.

10gr. outrunners? Wow! I wonder if those would good alternatives to 12mm Medusa/Feigao motors... I have a pylon racer that needs one of those.

Oh wait, I don't have the pylon racer. FedEx lost it.