HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Traxxas Stampede VXL Brushless Monster Truck Review

Traxxas introduces the Stampede VXL Brushless Monster Truck, their first brushless monster truck powered by the Velineon Bushless Motor System!

Splash

Introduction

US distributor:Traxxas
Available From:Traxxas
Length:16.25 inches (413mm)
Front Track:12.75 inches (324mm)
Rear Track:12.75 inches (324mm)
Weight:65.3oz (1.85kg)
Height (overall):9.5 inches (241mm)
Wheelbase:10.63 inches (270mm)
Front Shock Length:Long
Rear Shock Length:XXLong
Front Tires:Talon™ 2.8"
Rear Tires:Talon™ 2.8"
Front Wheels:2.8" Black-Chome (All-Stars™)
Rear Wheels:2.8" Black-Chome (All-Stars™)
Speed Control Type:VXL-3s Electronic Speed Control
Motor (electric):Velineon 3500 Brushless
Gear Ratio (internal):2.72 (final drive: 12.34)
Differential Type:Planetary
Gear Pitch:48-Pitch
Transmission:Magnum 272
Steering:Single Point
Chassis Type:Modified Tub
Chassis Material:Composite Nylon
Retail Price:$269.99

The Stampede from Traxxas was the first high-performance monster truck. Known for its ruggedness, the electric-powered Stampede with its powerful 550 class brushed motor could hold its own on dirt, gravel or pavement. Now, the new Stampede VXL brushless monster truck is setting new, never-before-seen speed benchmarks. The long-awaited introduction of a brushless power system for the Traxxas Stampede has been realized in the Velineon motor and ESC. It's a true powerhouse and it's ready to run out of the box. Traxxas calls it "The World's Most Extreme Monster Truck".

I'm a newbie to RC trucks, but I quickly found out that the Stampede VXL was the perfect 'first truck' for me!

Features

Powered by the Velineon Brushless Power System

• Stampede VXL capable speeds in excess of 65mph!
  • Traxxas High-Current Connector allows high-capacity battery packs to deliver maximum voltage to the Velineon Brushless Power System
  • Maxx Cable 12-gauge wire
  • Velineon VXL-3S Electronic Speed Control

Contents

The review package shipped from Traxxas, and it arrived double-boxed and free of damage. The Stampede was secured inside and isolated with foam blocks to ensure it was well protected during shipping.

The beautiful box art covers all sides:

Kit includes:

Fully assembled, Ready-To-Run

• Traxxas TQ™ radio
  • ProGraphix painted body

Kit requires:

• Eight AA-type batteries for the transmitter
  • 6-cell NiMH 3000+mAh, 7-cell 4000+mAh NiMH battery(experienced drivers have option for 3S 4000+mAh Lipo battery with spur/pinion gear change)

Assembly

The instructions are color photo-illustrated, and the manual was very easy to understand and follow. There's also a toll-free support line if you have questions. Literally, all there is to do is install the AA batteries in the transmitter, install the 6 or 7-cell NiMH battery in the battery tray, and attach the truck body with four washers and pins.

Features

Tires and Suspension

The Stampede’s white powder coated oil-filled Ultra Shocks are fully tunable with a wide range of oils, springs, and pistons. You can precisely change ride height and spring pre-load, and the shocks can be renewed in minutes with Traxxas' inexpensive rebuild kits.

Stampede VXL’s Magnum 272 transmission is assembled with new all metal gear internals riding on sealed ball bearings. With standard 48-pitch gears, power is delivered to the durable telescoping U-joint drive shafts. The sealed gearbox protects the transmission components from dirt and rocks. When using a 3S LiPo battery for high-speed driving,

Stampede VXL features new drive yokes which are designed to provide maximum durability to withstand the extreme power of the Velineon Brushless Power System. The slider drive shafts are extremely durable, and they allow greater articulation for increased suspension travel.

Power System

The Velineon 3500 Brushless Motor uses ultra high-temperature Neodymium magnets, high-speed ball bearings, and a precision balanced rotor for power and long-life. The Velineon 3500 delivers consistent, high-power output, run after run.

The Velineon VXL-3s forward/reverse electronic speed control uses advanced circuit design that allows sensorless brushless motors to operate with the smoothness and precision of the best brushed systems. It is LiPo, NiCad and NiMH compatible with two-stage low-voltage detection and features three programmable drive profiles:

Sport Mode – Forward/Brake/Reverse

• Race Mode – Forward/Brake
  • Training Mode - 50% Forward/Brake/50% Reverse

The Stampede’s Velineon Brushless Power System features the new Traxxas High-Current Connector. It is designed to handle high-current applications, has large, textured surfaces on the plug bodies which are easy for fingers to grip, and the clever reverse-polarity protection makes Traxxas connectors virtually impossible to plug in backwards.

The Stampede VXL battery tray is perfectly designed to accommodate 6 or 7-cell NiMH flat packs in the 3000+ mAh range as well as some 3S Lipoly packs. A built-in battery holder ensures the battery cannot come loose even if the Stampede flips over.

Radio System

The included TQ radio system includes a high-power transmitter with a specially designed comfort grip, a precise high-torque steering servo and a compact receiver for up to a quarter-mile range. The TQ transmitter includes these features:

Servo reversing

• Low battery indicator
  • Electronic trim control
  • Digitally proportional for precise steering and throttle control

Chassis

The durable monocoque chassis tub is made from the highest quality nylon composites and designed for maximum ground clearance. Many parts including the chassis, shock bodies, and transmission housing are molded in gray for a fresh high-tech look. An adjustable wheelie bar is pre-installed and helps prevent flipping.

Driving

The Velineon brushless motor provided excellent power and torque. The Stampede VXL has a very broad speed range, especially for a monster truck. The optional spur/pinion is easy to change and gives the Stampede tremendous top speed with a 3S LiPo battery, making it capable of 65+ miles per hour!

Video

Downloads

Is this truck for a beginner?

The Stampede VXL is an excellent choice for a first-time RC truck driver, and the different battery/gearing options allow for plenty of room for you to advance as your driving skills improve. Its extremely tough construction will stand up to a lot of abuse, and if something should break, replacement parts are readily available at your Traxxas dealer. I think it is the ideal monster truck for the beginner all the way to the advanced RC driver.

Conclusion

The Traxxas Stampede VXL truly impressed me with how well it handles and how easy it is to drive. It is truly a ready-to-run, go anywhere vehicle, from your local dirt track to your neighborhood street. If you’re looking to enter the world of electric monster trucks and want a vehicle you can truly grow with that is pure out-of-the-box fun, look no further than the Traxxas Stampede VXL!

Pluses:

• Exciting looks with factory-applied paint job
  • Very solid and stable despite high center of gravity
  • Assembles in minutes
  • Excellent instructions
  • Replacement parts are readily available

Minuses:

• Batteries not included and must be purchased separately

As you can see, the Traxxas Stampede VXL looks great in action!

The Traxxas Stampede VXL is an absolute blast to drive and will provide many hours of on and off-road fun. See it at your Traxxas dealer or at Traxxas.com!

Last edited by Angela H; Oct 26, 2008 at 08:27 PM..

Discussion

Old Oct 27, 2008, 08:32 AM
Negaunee, Michigan
Joined Sep 2008
192 Posts
Wow, that truck has some serious power!!
Bob O is offline Find More Posts by Bob O
Old Oct 27, 2008, 08:33 AM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
Wow, that truck has some serious power!!
Thanks Bob, it is an absolute BLAST and easy to drive!

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:16 PM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
938 Posts
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:14 PM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,842 Posts
Really enjoying mine..I modded the batt compartment a little, and run a Rhino 4900 3S. I think the added weight of the large pack helps a little on handling, plus the batt never even gets warm! It is insane fast! Can't go wrong with this truck.

Jim
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:19 PM
Jim
North Alabama
Joined Mar 2004
1,842 Posts
Oh yea...FWIW...don't stand behind this thing in rocks or gravel !!! Ask me how I know!

Jim
Jim_W is offline Find More Posts by Jim_W
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:22 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,893 Posts
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Oct 27, 2008, 05:13 PM
Calvert County, MD
Joined Jun 2008
139 Posts
Quote:
Oh yea...FWIW...don't stand behind this thing in rocks or gravel !!! Ask me how I know!
You ain't the only one, I accidentally peppered my brand new truck and my boss with gravel the first time I ran mine.
rusty stampede is offline Find More Posts by rusty stampede
Old Oct 27, 2008, 06:07 PM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
"E Zone- Home of Electronic Flight"

???
Laggard is offline Find More Posts by Laggard
Last edited by Laggard; Oct 27, 2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 06:57 PM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,113 Posts
That didn't take very long to read!
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:17 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,394 Posts
I love the review, awesome truck. I am a flyer I love flight all aspects. But I also love my R/C trucks and buggies. I have more oportunity to run them than my aircraft. I love the fact that EZone was willing to take the chance and run something "non air". I would love to see more reviews like this. Maybe EZone could have dual roll, after all any R/C in my book is total enjoyment....
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:35 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2007
721 Posts
Checked out the video...looks ok. Though I would rather get the E-Revo Brushless Edition or the Rustler VXL brushless (If I have to choose TRAXXAS)
carrotcake is offline Find More Posts by carrotcake
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:32 PM
Heli and Car Addict
Woodland Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,478 Posts
Hah! Rusty, was that with MY E-Savage?
btw, your E-Savage has come a longgg way since you shipped it to me.
rawfuls is offline Find More Posts by rawfuls
Old Oct 28, 2008, 12:17 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Awesome Ronnie. You made me want to get one .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Oct 28, 2008, 09:54 AM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Thanks everyone!

If you can afford to go with a 3S Lipo battery in the 3000+ mAh, it is well worth the money.
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1