Old Nov 25, 2002, 02:43 AM
myspace.com/graehl
Joined Mar 2001
403 Posts
a good program to reduce jpg file size?

just what the subject says

i searched google to no avail
what would you call a program that does this

i want to take a 1.5 meg file and reduce to to 100,000 bites for posting on the ezone

any links or names of shareware or free programs or is there a way to do this with included windows programs (winXP pro)

thanks
Kevin Graehl is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Graehl
Old Nov 25, 2002, 02:56 AM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Most photo editing programs will allow you to change the file size.
This is done two ways from within the program. First you can (usually from a pull-down menu) change the pixel size. If you're posting on Ezone a width of 600 pixels is good. This is reduced from over 2000 pixels that I get with my digital camera right out of the camera. Next, when you save the file after reducing the size the program will ask you the quality of the saved file. If you choose "10" there won't be a reduction in quality, but the file size will remain large. Choosing "3" might get you to where you want to be.
There are probably loads of shareware programs available, but Paint Shop 7, fully functional, is available for a 30-day trial at:
http://www.jasc.com/download_4.asp?
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Nov 25, 2002, 04:25 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,970 Posts
I've been using MS Photo Editor without a problem for this.
Just open the file, and click on Image|ReSize
You can adjust according to pixels, inches, or centimeters, in numbers or percentage.

What I usually do is open MS Explorer, so I can see the file's details, and MS Photo Editor. I open the file, reduce size and save under a different name, then put MS Explorer on screen, hit F5 and check the file size.

I save under a different name because once the file is reduced, it will become fuzzy if you enlarge it again.

Hope this helps
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Nov 25, 2002, 05:49 AM
Sweden (born UK bred Wales)
Joined Aug 2002
465 Posts
I've tried most of the shareware and freewares and the best is totally free.

It's called Irfanview and it is small, lightweight and totally free image viewer and editor.

http://www.irfanview.com/
konaboy is offline Find More Posts by konaboy
Old Nov 25, 2002, 09:30 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,862 Posts
You can reduse the DPI to 72 and that will make the file size smaller.Photoshop can reduse the actual image size as well as do anything else you want but its $$$$

Mark
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Nov 25, 2002, 09:58 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,549 Posts
If you are reducing images to small size (avatars are a good example) the software you use is fairly critical. Bundled s/w like MS Photo Editor or MGI PhotoSuite will give poor results, anything else (I use Paint Shop Pro 7) will work much better by using far more sophisticated algorithms when deciding which pixels to drop and which to keep!

But for resizing down to (typically) 600 pixels max. width or height plus a bit of compression, most software will be OK.

BTW 100 Kb is still a bit big for posting inline pics, I normally aim to compress down to 30-50 Kb. This normally still gives good enough quality for viewing on screen.

E.g. this is 31 Kb:
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 25, 2002, 10:01 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
I use a program called IrfanView that I got off http://www.winfiles.com.

There's only one way I know of to reduce the size of JPG files, and that's to reduce their resolution.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Nov 25, 2002, 12:00 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Glover
If you are reducing images to small size (avatars are a good example) the software you use is fairly critical. Bundled s/w like MS Photo Editor or MGI PhotoSuite will give poor results, anything else (I use Paint Shop Pro 7) will work much better by using far more sophisticated algorithms when deciding which pixels to drop and which to keep!
Which is why the pics in my avatar are so cobby looking.

I downloaded the trial Paint Shop Pro 7 and used it a little - but the trial period is over now.....so I have to decide to buy or look at something else. I want something that can do lines and simple curves as objects rather than just pixels and I couldn't make the curves work the way I wanted in PSPro 7.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Nov 25, 2002, 03:13 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I've owned PSP for years. Never bothered to pay to upgrade beyond v.5, but still prefer to use it over all the bundled photo-deluxe and such packges that come with new computers..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Nov 26, 2002, 03:56 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,549 Posts
Yes, I ran the demo 'tour' of of Paint Shop Pro, downloaded the trial version, liked it a lot, bought it.

The current version includes loads of other stuff e.g. Animation Shop. My Avatar is a still photo of my own Mini IFO with the prop "cut out" into a new layer in PSP, then rotated & blurred slightly in Animation Shop to make the animated GIF.

I've never tried to do anything like that before, I'm no graphics expert but I found it reasonably straightforward and managed to work out how to do it all. Good fun!

The older versions of PSP often get given away with magazines, a UK one last month had a full version of PSP 4.4 (?) with it plus a cheap upgrade to the latest version if you liked it. Other software is also promoted the same way so keep an eye out.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Nov 26, 2002, 10:48 PM
myspace.com/graehl
Joined Mar 2001
403 Posts
thanks to all
Kevin Graehl is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Graehl