HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2007, 08:52 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1 Posts
Discussion
Guillows Lancer duration

Hey guys,

I just completed a Guillows Lancer kit. I remembered building one of these as a teen and it flew really well way better than most of the Guillows fleet. I have set it up with a Peck 8" prop and 2 loops (4 strands) of peck 1/8" super sport rubber in the rear motor mount. I lubed up the rubber and I am unsure how much to wind it. I have wound it for about a 30 second motor run but it still didn't feel very tight. I don't want to wind it until it fails to get the maximum. (always nice when the band breaks and whips around and blows most the tissue off) So I'm asking what can i expect as far as motor run out of this set up? How many turns could this set up take?
Mr-Punk is offline Find More Posts by Mr-Punk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2007, 03:53 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
Hi, I wanted to know the same thing for my planes, I'm kinda new, too at free flight. The answer for me was to build a dummy motor stick that will hold the rubber the same as it is on the model, same length and same amount then wind it up untill it breaks counting the number of turns. Then you will know what the maximum is. You will sacrifice some rubber but the knowledge gained is worth it. For the dummy you can use the prop and prop hanger parts from one of the 4$ kits and a strip of bass wood for the motor stick. You can use it for most all planes by using a threaded eye hook for the rear hook and placing it on the dummy where needed. Kevin
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews
Old Sep 05, 2007, 04:54 PM
Common Sense Support Crew
Rensselaer, IN USA
Joined May 2006
169 Posts
Test breaking point

Get a copy of one of Don Ross's book either 'Flying Models Rubber, CO2, Electric & Micro Radio Control' or 'Rubber Powered Model Airplanes'. They both give good beginners advice on care and feeding of rubber motors. Testing for max for 4 strands of 1/8 TanII comes out to a conservative 76 turns per inch. This is a good guide for a properly lubricated and broken in motor. You should limit your winds to 75 or 80% of the finial results. Good lube choices would be a Silicone based rubber lube, like Son-of-a-Gun or Dow #33. The Dow product is a silicone grease use in VCR's and other electronic equipment.

Randy
reblacklaf is offline Find More Posts by reblacklaf
Old Sep 06, 2007, 05:30 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Feb 2007
320 Posts
Both Kev, and Reblacklaf give good advice, but there is no need to test wind a full length motor a small motor of a few inches, say at most six inches(a twelve inch piece of rubber looped) will do just fine. Wind it till it breaks, and divide by 6, or whatever length the motor you used is, this will give you the turns per inch approximately that your motor will break at. Note I say approximately, there are a few of variables involved, so it is an approximation, to be safe, Id take at least 10% off the max turns per inch, to be safe. Using a full size motor is just fine, but if your rubber supply is running short, no need to waste more than you need too.
The rubber lube cannot be stressed enough tho, if you are not using it, you are not getting A LOT of the turns you could. Ive never tested it, but I have wound unlubed motors accidentally to breaking, and it didn't take long. If you haver a bit of spare rubber, try it, and you'll see what I mean.
Rubber motors HAVE to be lubed, if all you have to use a bit of dish soap,use it, its better than not using anything. KY jelly works great as well, Castor oil will work, any silicone lube will work, theres tons of lubes out there that work, you must use one of them to wind a motor anywhere near maximum efficiency.
Good luck and have fun.
-Grais.
PS: I see in your original post you are lubing, my mistake, carry on, and best of luck, Ive had some great flights with a Lancer.
Graiskye is offline Find More Posts by Graiskye
Last edited by Graiskye; Sep 06, 2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2007, 11:08 PM
carbondale il
Joined Jan 2007
2,557 Posts
I have been looking at the Guillow's Javelin, it looks pretty cool.
kevin matthews is offline Find More Posts by kevin matthews