HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2007, 01:46 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,266 Posts
Actually managed to get a couple of things done on the fuse this weekend. All formers and stringers are now in place, and the removable hatch is built. Wing bolt retaining platform also assembled and mounted in fuse.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2007, 01:48 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,266 Posts
Think I'm gonna use balsa blocking between the two front formers instead of sheeting, then I'll sand it to shape. Might be easier than planking that area.
Old Nov 05, 2007, 02:32 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,266 Posts
Couldn't resist this shot
Old Nov 06, 2007, 01:40 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
ooooh

Brilliant progress craig, like it a lot

PS You haven't permanently joined the panels have you ? Doesn't really matter really, I just find a bit easier to sheet and insert the washout doing one panel individually
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
Old Nov 06, 2007, 02:07 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
There is my loosey job planking the 36inWS tempest, I bet the bigger typhoon won't look half as bad
Old Nov 09, 2007, 07:14 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,603 Posts
Just found this thread, great looking thus far. Could you tell me though, do you think there will be any plans to do a Tempest verison of this model as a plan pack/short kit?
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Nov 09, 2007, 10:25 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne
Just found this thread, great looking thus far. Could you tell me though, do you think there will be any plans to do a Tempest verison of this model as a plan pack/short kit?
and if I may answer with another question , if I design a short kit would you do the proto build ?
The fuselage construction will be different and would require lither covering/ie not require epoxy resin finish. A problem will be accommodating retracts in thinner wing but could be solved by increasing the size to WS ~52 and in that size even could be bothered with flaps. Let me know if you want to do it. I have another two projects waiting to start the design process but could wait.

Trias
Old Nov 09, 2007, 11:32 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,603 Posts
Hey Trias, well thank you for the offer and I certainly would like to take you up on it, but unfortunatly time ans space would be an extreame problem for me. Currently I'm lucky if I get 4 hours a week to spend on models, and after that I'm only able to fly about once a month. Space is the other issue. I live and work in London ina small flat that I share withmy lady, and my only real work shop is back up at my parents were I store and fly my models when I can.

I sure the build would be fun too. The last kit I finished was a HVP Catalina, and even though that comes with a glass fuzz and v/foam wings, it still took me 7 months to put to gether and finish (although I did take my time with the epoxy glass and the finishing). I won't even be maidening it until net weekend! I do enjoy a build project and have several under my belt (Flair SE5A, Great Planes cub, mountin models dandy and switchback, Pete Rake E111, Ryan Hellcat, JR P38 etc etc).

But if you did do a design between 34" and 44" (the 34" would be my personal choice) that could be cut by Charlie I'd certainly like a short kit of it, but as much as I'd be more than happy to accept your kind offer, I just wouldn't be able to do it justice with my complete lack of time and space. But I'm sure many many other great builders here on the scale forum would jump right at it, and lets hope so.

So you think you might give it a shot, a Tempest at around this size? Hope so as your work looks great.

Stuart.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Nov 09, 2007, 11:37 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Joined May 2001
5,603 Posts
Actually, really silly of me. I just saw a previous post of yours and it seem you already have a 36" Tempest in the works! any more details on this, it could be exactly what I'm looking for. Sorry if this has already been mentioned earlier in the thread, I may have missed it
Site Sponsor
Last edited by stuart warne; Nov 09, 2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2007, 05:22 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,266 Posts
Hope to get most of the sheeting done this weekend.
Heh, I'll do the Tempest too!! The big one that is. Greedy little beggar ain't I!
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:18 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,266 Posts
Heh! It's starting to look like a Typhoon!

Going to use blocks to fill in the front of the nose section, then sand to shape in place. Now to sand the tail section and mount it, then I can finish sheeting the fuse.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 04:47 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,266 Posts
Been talking to Xterarc, and might be leaving the retracts out of this one. I have to drive to a field that I can fly off pavement, but I normally fly my models off the end of my street. I think I'm gonna want to fly this one, a lot, so it means leaving the gear off. The mounts are in the wings in case I change my mind, also will leave the airlines in the wings too. Glued the vertical and horizontal stabs together(pic to follow) and will glue the assembly to the fuse tonight as it's required in order to finish the sheeting. Stealing some thick balsa from a friend to finish off the nose.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 03:30 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Ok craig,

I don't know what the experienced people in this forum think, but if you going for handlaunching I suggest you keep the wingloading at ~16oz/sqft and make sure you prop your motor JUST RIGHT or you get it torqued down , that is experience talking . So along these terms I would suggest that maybe an epoxy resin finish is not required and you should just go with tissue and dope. Maybe use medium tissue compared to light, but I don't know what I am talking about (when it comes to tissue)
Old Nov 15, 2007, 03:40 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
You can go for a higher wingloading if you have enough power. The key is to get the model up to a speed where it has control authority quickly.

With low power you have to launch hard and level, and not pull the sticks until speed builds up.

With high power a 45 degree javelin launch or even just let go, is enough.

Shoot for 100W/lb for a model that stalls in the 18-22mph bracket. You will need it.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Nov 15, 2007, 08:01 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,266 Posts
Definitely going for 100watts/lb, minimum. I had a Superstar EP, I think that's what it was called, and I believe it weighed 54ounces. Speed 600 dd, and it hand launched like a dream. Actually that's the plane I taught myself to fly on, handlaunches and all! I think I can silkspan and glass this puppy and still have a good weight. Will weigh it tonight after work. Gotta take the pics of the progress again too.