HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:05 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,434 Posts
Nice colour schemes.
Think I'm gonna add a little wood to the sides of the narrow former.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:24 PM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,806 Posts
Maybe you can slide the third former from the right aft until it fits? Could be the shape is right, but the placement is 1/4" or so too far up front? Depends on if it's part of the wing or canopy structure somehow though... Just an idea

Actually both the middle formers in your pic seem to have a somewhat odd width. How do they fit top and bottom?

T
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:15 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,434 Posts
After much study, I decided to make the side notches on the last full former(on the right) deeper by about 1/8 of inch and sand the sides of the former down about the same, and I think things are looking better. Hopefully tomorrow will tell, and I can post another pic.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 07:37 AM
Grumpygrandad
Joined Aug 2004
33 Posts
Typhoon Tail Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFster
The Typhoon was used for ground target attack and they would dive bomb or chase the FW190 which used a typical dive away from the Spits and other British fighters as they could dive faster. They never figured out what caused the tails to be shed until a test pilot was able to bring one back that started cracking. They then made up and installed the fish scale style reinforcing plates and were able to stop it from becoming tailless.

The Tiffie is one of my favorite planes.

RAFster
David
You might like to read 'Testing Years' By Roly Beamont who flew both as a Hawker test pilot on loan from the RAF, Typhoon Squadron Commander, and Tempest Wing Leader in combat He also flew Hurricanes in the B of B. He states that the rear fuselage fish plates were not the solution. The cause of the tail losses was traced positively to random fatigue failures of the elevator mass balance mountings resulting in elevator flutter at high speed and consequent structural failure. Roly Beamont went on to test the Canberra, EE Lightning, TSR 2 and ended up as a Director of BAC.
Grumpygrandad is offline Find More Posts by Grumpygrandad
Old Oct 28, 2007, 12:41 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,434 Posts
Okay folks, here's the fuse with the stringers in place. The rear former had to have the elevator/stabilizer platform sanded down about 3/32 of an inch, in order that it could sit in a 0/0 position relative to the center line as shown on the plans. Now I gotta start sheeting it. The rear retract rails are in place as well.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:59 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,434 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong Xterarc, but I think the horizontal stab and vertical stab have to be in place before sheeting/planking? I'm going to try and make templates for sheeting, to go from stringer to stringer for most of the rear fuse, planking where it's not practical.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 11:08 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,054 Posts
There's a build article of a 1/32 scale Typhoon in Scale Aviation Modeller International vol 13 issue 10. Nice pics and details.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is online now Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:05 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
Correct me if I'm wrong Xterarc, but I think the horizontal stab and vertical stab have to be in place before sheeting/planking? I'm going to try and make templates for sheeting, to go from stringer to stringer for most of the rear fuse, planking where it's not practical.
Well, the center of the stabs leading edge has been cut to "fit" to the sheeted fuselage, so in "theory" you could sheet/plank and then fit the stab. Of course to sheet the fuselage above the stab you should have the stab already in place. Do you think there is enough space over there to place the elevator horn inside the fuselage ? it would be nice.

Looking good craig, let us know when you run upon more gremlins
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
Old Oct 29, 2007, 03:07 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpygrandad
You might like to read 'Testing Years' By Roly Beamont who flew both as a Hawker test pilot on loan from the RAF, Typhoon Squadron Commander, and Tempest Wing Leader in combat He also flew Hurricanes in the B of B. He states that the rear fuselage fish plates were not the solution. The cause of the tail losses was traced positively to random fatigue failures of the elevator mass balance mountings resulting in elevator flutter at high speed and consequent structural failure. Roly Beamont went on to test the Canberra, EE Lightning, TSR 2 and ended up as a Director of BAC.
Interesting story, I always thought that the flutter was a consequence of the very fat wing causing gross laminar separation and all the rest with it at high speeds
Old Oct 29, 2007, 06:49 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,434 Posts
Okay, I've started sheeting. What I've done is made a paper template, then cut out the panel. I then wetted the outside surface of the panel with hot water, and clamped it into place with high tech, expensive, custom made clamps. Once dry I have a pre-formed shell that won't build in any stresses or warps into the fuse.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 03:14 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,434 Posts
Heh Boss Man,
How does the rear of the wing fit with the fuse? The rear of the center rib will have to be trimmed shorter too won't it. I know on my Ryan Corsair the former at the back of the wing opening in the fuse is angled back to allow the rear of the wing to just fit right up inside. Was looking at the wing and fuse together and got to wondering about that.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 05:04 PM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Hi Craig,
Nice your sheeting is looking just don't forget that you have to sheet the front fuselage formers at least partly with the rear fuselage so you will get it fixed nice and rigid (there are different ways you can go around that,)
So answering your question, the trailing edge as well as the leading edge of the wing that overlaps with the fuselage should be trimmed for a flush fit. If you want to go with the method you described of an angled back fuse where the wing sits just once you finish sheeting cut the fuse at the angle you want, cut a template to fit and add ass appropriate to the wing in order to sit nicely at it.
Well go with your flow

Trias
Old Nov 03, 2007, 05:11 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,434 Posts
Heh Xterarc,

The fuse formers from the wing l/e forward, aren't they suppose to be the same width as the wing saddle formers? The 3 views I see show the fuse from the rear of the cockpit to just behind the nose are pretty much a constant width. My front formers give the nose a pronounced narrowing. Could be just me, but I thought they should be wider. The last front former in the photo should actual be farther aft, and that would make the bends even tighter.
Old Nov 03, 2007, 08:14 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,434 Posts
Ferget it, found a better 3 view! Everything will be hunky dory. Tomorrow the crutch will come out and the front formers will go on. One other question, the laser cut balsa side stringers for the nose have little "stubs" on them, I assume for help in positioning the formers?
Old Nov 04, 2007, 01:58 PM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Hi craig,
Sorry for the late response but had been away from home,
You are right that the fuse formers are narrower front of the leading edge. Based on fuselage cross-sections and top view I worked the file on that is how it supposed to be. The actual fattest bit of the fuselage should be about the leading edge and thinks narrow either side. There are two sets of pieces for the front fuse formers. one set of balsa and one set of ply. The ply is part of fuselage while the balsa sets the removable hatch, and the formers sit on the little tabs on them. Any more help just shout.