Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 06, 2007, 04:46 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Okay, no CF rods in the far north, so it's back to my ply brace on the rear of the spar. I'll make a little bass box on the center section spar for the ply tonque to fit into from the outboard section. Then I just got to smear on the glue and slide the panels together, then do the final shaping of the leading edges.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2007, 07:11 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
OKAY VERY IMPORTANT TIP. Make sure you have the ribs lined up on the spar at the angle shown on the drawings, they do not go 90 degrees to the spar. Don't ask me how I know that.
Old Oct 06, 2007, 10:31 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,549 Posts
baldguy, you can check out carbon fiber arrows, you will have to get a larger carbon fiber arrow than a rod though because it is hollow.

Yes, I've been bitten by that problem with the rib angle on the spar on a build before...

RAFster
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Oct 06, 2007, 11:58 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Rafster, you genius you! Never thought of arrow shafts! Gonna have to raid my dad's bowhunting stash tomorrow!
Thanks
Old Oct 07, 2007, 03:33 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Hi Craig,
I had a look on internet for CF suppliers, no luck in CANADA, but the closest to you I think is that kite shop in USA http://www.kitebuilder.com/kitestudio.html
lots of CF/graphite tubes if you don't fish anything out that dowhunting stush
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
Old Oct 07, 2007, 04:15 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,610 Posts
Hey Baldguy,

Check out Great Hobbies' web site at http://www.greathobbies.com/index.php. Click on "Electric RC" and then scroll down to the bottom of the page to "Construction Materials". They have lots of CF products there, and they have a store in Edmonton, so shipping to you shouldn't take very long. I used them when we lived in Canada and they have great service.

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Oct 07, 2007, 10:14 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Thanks a bunch guys. If I have no luck with my Dad's bowhunting stuff, I'll check them out. We've discovered an ooops in the drawings. The drawings show a one piece center spar in the wing, but with the rearward position of the spar, it has to be cut in the center and then the spar glued in a V position with the point of the V facing the trailing edge of the wing. If this isn't done you end up with a wing that is one piece, but that has to be mounted with one wing tip up close to the nose, and the opposite wing tip near the tail. Ooooops. I've cut the spar, glued it and will use a small aux. spar ahead of it to re-inforce the center section.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:22 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Decided to use some ply braces on the spar instead of the rods, just easier for me to get that's all. No real progress lately, been working and trying trying to finish up another project(Se5a), but this week the fuse will get glued up and the horizontal stab and elevators done up.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:29 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Gotta enlarge and clean up the lightening holes in the center section brace, then I can attach the leading edge. Braces not as light or as high tech as the carbon tube, but it was quicker and easier for me to do it this way. Would of preferred the tubes however.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 04:31 PM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Hi craig,
I would think it is lighter the way you did it, just watch those powered dives
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:06 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Heck I figure if my silkspan covered Sig Rascal can do outside loops, this beastie being glassed could do even more!
When I sheet the fuse I think I'll try some formed sheet panels, and use planking in the harder to cover areas.
Baldguy
Old Oct 18, 2007, 07:22 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,212 Posts
Actually, I think Xterarc was referring to the distressing tendency of real Typhoons to shed their tails when diving after Fw 190's. The fishplate reinforcements so prominent on the rear fuse were a desperate attempt to prevent this. I thought it was funny. Love the build, more pics. Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:01 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Forgot all about that little annoying habit of their's! Must of been a nasty surprise to have your tail part company with the rest of your ride. More pics to come once the formers for the fuse are all glued in place.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:32 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring
Actually, I think Xterarc was referring to the distressing tendency of real Typhoons to shed their tails when diving after Fw 190's. The fishplate reinforcements so prominent on the rear fuse were a desperate attempt to prevent this. I thought it was funny. Love the build, more pics. Jeff
I didn't think they had enough ceiling to dive on anything. Hence the Tempest...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 19, 2007, 02:30 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Typhoons performance fell rapidly above 20,000 feet and since spitfires were having quite a success at high altitude interceptions typhoon were used in ground attack meeting good success in that role especially in D-day and the days after over europe, usually at the very front line. That didn't mean they couldn't speed up diving and in fact restrictions had to be imposed to do so as the fat wing in that fuselage was causing loss of control near the speed of sound resulting in a few crashed ones.

PS In fact if our Typhoon goes down due to structural damage it will be as scale as it gets
Just kidding craig.
Last edited by xterarc; Oct 19, 2007 at 03:06 AM.