HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2007, 02:35 PM
Lincoln, UK
Joined Jun 2005
596 Posts
If you're fitting retracts and plan on doing ROG's then the rudder seems like a good idea to me, she's coming along a treat, keep it up!

Pete
Pete1978 is offline Find More Posts by Pete1978
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2007, 03:13 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Yup, the ROG thing got me thinking afterwards about putting the rudder in. If I use a pico or HS55 it won't add too much weight. Besides, sure would be nice pulling up into the vertical and doing a hammerhead to come back down on another straffing run!
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Oct 02, 2007, 04:10 PM
David
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2004
648 Posts
Who is Xterac?

Hi -- Looks like a good kit but I can't find any information on the kit manufacturer/distributer. I read that this is a beta kit, will it become available to the public? Thanks. -David
dno264 is online now Find More Posts by dno264
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Airacobra
Old Oct 02, 2007, 11:59 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
He's one of those Scottish critters over there in the land of Scottish critters. I'm asuming this will become a kit, hopefully mine doesn't get re-kitted!
Rudder is together and I made an addition that I talked to the boss man about earlier. I felt the 1/8 thick surfaces would be a little too thin for my handling, so I've laminated a layer of 1/32 on each side. Now I will sand all the pieces to an airfoil section like on the full size. Also gives me a little more meat for the hinges to bite into.
Come to think of it, this Scottish critter never did give me his first name, none that I can pronounce anyway. But heh, I ain't the most gifted fellow.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 12:57 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Alrighty then. Rudder and vertical stab are done. Bevel has been sanded into the leading edge of the rudder for the hinge line. The 2 layers of contest grade 1/32 really stiffened up the whole structure quite nicely, without any real weight gain. Now to decide if I'm going to try and hook the tail wheel steering to the rudder or run 2 sets of rods, one to the rudder and one to the tail wheel.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 12:59 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Forgot the pic
Old Oct 03, 2007, 01:31 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
.wrong post
Old Oct 03, 2007, 01:36 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Trial fit of the formers onto the crutch.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 01:43 PM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
That laminated rudder is looking nice craig!

...He's one of those Scottish critters over there in the land of Scottish critters...
My girldfriend said that I look like a badger the other day so you proably right My avatar should rather read: frenzy greek leaving (and loving Scotland)

<<I read that this is a beta kit, will it become available to the public? Thanks. -David>>

Well if craig enjoys building the plane then you are more than welcome to give it a try. I will most definitely post the laser-cut-parts file once plane is maidened , don't think it is worth paying the cost for making a plug for the cowl so if you don't enjoy planking it, and there is no reason you shouldn't, maybe I could make a cheap female mold and laminate a cowl.

PS also glad you are going for rudder control, really worth the extra weight, nice!
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
Old Oct 03, 2007, 02:10 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Thanks Frenzied Greek! Figured no way that name was Scottish. Just screams out for a rudder,so a rudder it is. Besides, gives me something to do with these little servos I got laying around
Old Oct 04, 2007, 01:57 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Yeah, I know I'm rushing it a bit. But I just couldn't help myself!
Old Oct 04, 2007, 02:23 PM
David
San Francisco, CA
Joined Sep 2004
648 Posts
Well if craig enjoys building the plane then you are more than welcome to give it a try. I will most definitely post the laser-cut-parts file once plane is maidened , don't think it is worth paying the cost for making a plug for the cowl so if you don't enjoy planking it, and there is no reason you shouldn't, maybe I could make a cheap female mold and laminate a cowl.

Please let me know if a short kit becomes available as I am not skilled in cutting out formers and ribs. That said, I only recently have tried planking and did not find it too difficult. Kind of like putting together a 3-D puzzle.
-David
dno264 is online now Find More Posts by dno264
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Airacobra
Old Oct 04, 2007, 02:26 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
Planking isn't too difficult, and if you cut your edges on a bevel, it can make for really nice joints. I might try some formed sheeting over this fella, haven't decided yet. So far I'm having a blast building it.
Old Oct 04, 2007, 02:54 PM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
all guns blazing

That wing platform is looking really nice, but before you finish building it I will throw my advice, hope you haven't finished

Note that you have to trim the ribs of the central section that fall within the width of the fuselage according to the plan. ie the pre-cut central section rib needs to be trimmed at the leading edge,that essentially brings the wing forward compared to the picture you have attached, look at mine attached image.
also the stabiliser seems to be below it's normal sitting position in your picture. just checking
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
Last edited by xterarc; Oct 04, 2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2007, 03:39 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,329 Posts
SAY WHAT!!!!!!!~!
Just kidding! Just stuck them together for my own curiosity, nothing glued. Figured the center rib would have to be shortened at the leading edge in order to fit into the fuse. Stab is just hanging in place, wrong place mind you, but just hanging there. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some CF rods for the wings when I'm in the big city. If not, it will be time to glue up the fuse.
Baldguy