HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2007, 03:59 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
<<My nose or the airplanes'?>>
I would go for the planes one as well
can you post a pic with this testors green glue modif you have added to the crutch formers craig ?
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2007, 02:20 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,407 Posts
Why, yes I can. I will take a digi pic today and post it today.
Craig
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Sep 30, 2007, 03:42 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,407 Posts
Here's some pics of the laser cut parts, lost the one showing where I put the glue in the notches, I'll have to shoot it again.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 05:13 PM
Lawton/Fort Sill, OK
Joined Sep 2002
1,952 Posts
This is a 46" plane? Would really be cool to have something also in the 32 to 36 range. charlie definitely does an awesome job. If this works out would you be willing to also do a scaled down version. I love the Typhoon. It was definitely a ground attack beast in the war.
Coop is offline Find More Posts by Coop
Old Sep 30, 2007, 05:26 PM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
ha! I thought you were waxing the crutch and adding a good amount of glue in the former-crutch joint to create a support joint-block, which I thought it was a great idea for a less than perfect fit, apart from the additional weight penalty. but I take it that you just add some testors green on the former before actually sliding them to the crutch.

<<This is a 46" plane? Would really be cool to have something also in the 32 to 36 range. charlie definitely does an awesome job. If this works out would you be willing to also do a scaled down version. I love the Typhoon. It was definitely a ground attack beast in the war.
Today 09:42 PM>>

I had a small 36inWS tempest build last year, although the plane still flies good ( and heavy) wing was a bit out of scale but have corrected and made public available a new set of laser cut-parts (:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=43420 so if interested could have one cut buy charlie or your favourite laser cutter, very basic short-kit. I will build one of the new set as well once I finish my other three current projects
Old Sep 30, 2007, 06:24 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,407 Posts
What amount of dihedral is in the outer panels? Haven't seen that written on the drawings yet. Gonna start putting the fuse together tonight, I hope.
Old Oct 01, 2007, 02:53 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
The dihedral is preset in the parts by aligning the ends of the central and outer wing spar. it should be ~7o as per scale.
Old Oct 01, 2007, 03:01 AM
....When pigs can fly
Duffel - Belgium
Joined Jan 2004
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
Here's some pics of the laser cut parts

Finally some pictures
I'am looking forward to your build.

Succes

Tom
W@CC0 is offline Find More Posts by W@CC0
Old Oct 01, 2007, 08:10 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,407 Posts
Ah so Grasshopper, did not notice the little angle in the ends of the spars. Day off today, so glue will assault wood.
Baldguy
Old Oct 01, 2007, 11:18 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,407 Posts
Alrighty boys and girls of all ages, the glueing has begun, a little.
Glued the wing spar sections together. First coated the joints with a smear of Testors Green, then let it dry, after that another light coat and together they go. Gonna put a ply brace on the panel breaks for extra strength. Using Ca as little as possible, will use Weldbond and Testors because if I screw up, which on a beta build is highly likely, I can disolve the joint with either glue or acetone.
Still can't believe no one wants to see my nose?
Old Oct 01, 2007, 11:35 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Hi Craig,
Have never glued the spars together before construction of the individual wing panels. There central one has one degree washout root to outer rib and the outer panel if I remember right has 2 1/2 degrees root to outer rib-there are washout shims included with the parts. Watching and learning
Old Oct 01, 2007, 11:44 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,407 Posts
I figured this way I could make sure I get the identical dihedral on each side, I'll just have to be a little more careful when sheeting. Will sheet the center section first, then the outer panels, and giving the outer tips a bit of washout. I'm thinking of switching the 2 ribs that the landing gear mounts glue into out of 1/16 ply. I'm a little concerned about the landing loads on balsa ribs. If I don't make a full ply rib I might just make a ply front rib piece for each one. Also, with the spar that far back in the wing, do you think I should add a small forward spar to the wings? Was wondering if it'll be strong enough without one, what with the sheeting and glass.
Old Oct 01, 2007, 11:55 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,407 Posts
Are these the dihedral jigs?, and if so is the long one for the outer panels?
The second pic shows what will be flying high cover for the Tiffie when she's down low and getting dirty!!
Old Oct 01, 2007, 12:41 PM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Hi Craig,
These two are the wahout sims, align below the trailing edge of the ribs once the bottom sheeting has been applied and then do the top sheeting, In your case the glued central and outer spars may apply some extra flex into the washout incorporation but doubt it will have any effect on the build.
Old Oct 01, 2007, 12:55 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,407 Posts
Could always disolve the glue joints with acetone! That's why I used that glue, but I think the spars would twist enough to allow the washout to remain in place once the top is sheeted. We always twist extra washout into freeflighters with steam and it usually holds. If I use the shims when glassing then it would stay there for sure.