HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:00 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,766 Posts
Very nice, BTW have you got a picture of that colour scheme, I havn't seen those colors on the typhoon before.

Stuart.
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Savex Spitfire Progress
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:19 PM
Got Epoxy
Salisbury Ma
Joined Dec 2004
733 Posts
Nice job on the camo Baldguy Looks like you may be shooting for this type of scheme am I close?

Glenn

oop's I see you already had this info a few posts back
shrub wacker is offline Find More Posts by shrub wacker
Last edited by shrub wacker; Mar 31, 2008 at 09:23 PM. Reason: duplicate info
Old Apr 01, 2008, 01:04 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,523 Posts
Thanks guys, yup that's the one I'm shooting for. Close enough for the girls I go out with anywho's! Debating whether I'll spray the insignia on, or chicken out and go with sticky ones.
Yahoo, my Justpilots bust is being shipped-joy oh joy! Gotta buy a couple more servos, a HS55 for the rudder, and another HS81 for the elevator, oh yeah, and a new 3 cell Prolite pack. Don't need Extremes in this as the amp draw isn't going to be too terribly high, and besides, the Extremes have a shorter life cycle than the Prolites!
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Apr 01, 2008, 03:21 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
oooh, very slick

nice you went for this old style colors they re not modeled very often. Insignia are easier masked before the camo other wise they need a ton of white to be applied before the final colors (ie yellow,red...) are sprayed on.
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
Old Apr 01, 2008, 10:10 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,523 Posts
If you give it a squirt of primer again it doesn't take much paint, but I think I'm gonna go with graphics. Might give Callie a shout and see how many bananas it'll cost.
Old Apr 01, 2008, 12:34 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,868 Posts
Lookin good man. Once you've tried Callie's graphics you won't even consider painting them again. It's just not worth the trouble of masking, mixing and cleaning when peel-n-stick is so much easier. Been watching your build with intrest as I started an enlarged Guillows Typhoon but it just didn't look right and I shelved it. Looking forward to your maiden flight report.
(another) Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Apr 01, 2008, 01:28 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,523 Posts
Thanks Glenn,
I've had a blast building this beastie, and like Xterarc says, not too many Typhoon Mk1a's out there. Should be a good flyer with the nice thick wing section, just as long as it can survive my less than sterling piloting skills. All the sheeting in this is 1/16, then I silkspaned and glassed it. Right now with the paint on, the motor, servos, and a 6 ounce battery I'm at 33.5 ounces, so with the spinner and prop I should be right around 36-38 ounces. Not too bad for a hack like me!
Baldguy
Old Apr 01, 2008, 01:37 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,868 Posts
Wow, 36oz! I wouldn't be to worried about the pilot skills, I would be worried about a giving it a really good throw at launch. Hey fellas, watch this.......
Old Apr 01, 2008, 01:44 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,523 Posts
I figure at 46" span it shouldn't need too much of a toss, specially with 375 watts under the hood! I use to handlaunch my EP Superstar, speed 600, I think 54ounces, and it didn't take much of a toss for that either.
We'll see

I'm going to build a Rittinger Me109 this way as well, use just 1/16 sheeting for the fuse sides and wing surfaces, then glass it all.
Last edited by baldguy; Apr 01, 2008 at 01:50 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2008, 02:25 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,868 Posts
Thanks for the info. My models are 30" span 50Watt jobs that weigh 8-10 oz. They are launched with a flick of the wrist, not even a toss. As I move to bigger models it's good to know that at the size of your Typhoon hand launches are no prob.
Glenn
Old Apr 01, 2008, 02:38 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,523 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't worry about the handlaunches too much Glenn. Mark Rittinger handlaunches all his models as well, and if you follow his power style like I do you'll be okay. Use a decent size prop for lots of airflow over the surfaces at launch, just not too big or you'll have torque problems.
Old Apr 01, 2008, 04:34 PM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Just before you head out and start chucking around the little tiffie
a word on the CG, you should start with 6.5 cm aft of the leading edge and work your way backwards if you don't like

At 36oz your wing loading is spot on at 16oz/sq.ft. which translates to a stall speed of ~20mph pretty cool that one, my Curtiss XP-46 at the same wing loading handlaunches like a dream and flies out nice and straight with a good throw.

looking so forward for the maiden report
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
Old Apr 01, 2008, 04:36 PM
Build it, Fly it, Fix it!
Uxbridge, UK
Joined Feb 2007
27 Posts
Baldguy,
Great thread and excellent work on the build. Can't wait for the flight report and hopefully some video? You will have to let Xterarc know of any mods to his plans before he gets too carried away with the Tornado project! I definitely want the plans for this one and to get myself a set of CNC parts. Have already got the innards and motor from UH. Great work once again. Marcus
Balsahack is offline Find More Posts by Balsahack
Old Apr 01, 2008, 08:14 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,523 Posts
Thanks Balsahack,
I really enjoyed this build. Hopefully within the next couple weeks I'll get to the LHS and get my other servos and battery, then it's tally ho, off into the wild blue yonder!
Roger that on the c.g.
Old Apr 02, 2008, 01:14 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,523 Posts
My 2 1/2 year old daughter saw my Tiffie on the table, which she was use to seeing in primer, now saw it in paint and said"ooooooh-cooool!" Good to see she takes after the old man!