Old Sep 04, 2007, 09:27 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,420 Posts
Discussion
Kit/Plane fun build contest-Hawker Typhoon beta build

Howdy all,
Charlie was kind enough to send me an ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS set of laser cut parts for the Hawker Typhoon 1A beta build designed by XTERAC. Now I gotta start building! Will be slow at first,like my Kogutek build because I got to get going on the Kogutek build!!! Been holding Pete up long enough, but dang it, life keeps getting in the way! Hopefully now that fall is approaching here in the wilds of Manitoba, I can get both going full bore.
This model is I believe 46" wingspan, and will get a set of nice light small retracts from my buddy John of Model Aviation Products, and will be home to an Eflite motor, either outrunner or geared inrunner. I'm kind of thinking that a geared inrunner might be more suitable but feel free to correct me if someone can recommend a good 3s outrunner/prop combo to give me nice scale flight, but with a little umph left in the bag. Don't want a repeat of my Ryan Corsair episode where I used an unsuitable outrunner which in turn had to swing too big of a prop, and caused some torque roll problems. I was just getting that all sorted out when the ground rose up and smite me, now it sits with a new fuse 1/2 done and the wings ready to go again.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Last edited by baldguy; Nov 16, 2007 at 10:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2007, 02:24 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
ohh you like tha parts do you, I am glad you do and yes Charlie does a brilliant job!

Fuselage will "fall" together almost on its own but do take your time with no bad feelings, I have three 1/5th done projects right now no idea how I managed that.
I am afraid that still pretty much in the beegining of that steep learning curve of power setups so won't be able to offer any good advice, only discovered motor torque when crashed the XP-46 in the maiden . I would think that a cheap brushless outrunner at 100g ~ 300W spinning at less than 1200RPV swinging a 9x6 or 10x5 would be OK especially since that model is going to fly OTG and pick up enough speed before getting airborne
Looking forward for progress pics
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
Old Sep 05, 2007, 07:59 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,636 Posts
I am glad you like the cutting too

Am also interested to see how this one comes out. Should be a nice flying plane.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 05, 2007, 11:16 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,420 Posts
Gonna take the left overs from the laser cut sheets and strip them into wood for my peanut scale models! Might try geared inrunner, just to get a bit of a "growl" out of it when it goes by!!
Old Sep 05, 2007, 12:15 PM
Union County, New Jersey
Joined Apr 2006
990 Posts
Looking forward to this build!!
alienx is offline Find More Posts by alienx
Old Sep 05, 2007, 01:26 PM
4th Generation
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Sep 2004
326 Posts
Can't wait!
ShaverR6 is offline Find More Posts by ShaverR6
Old Sep 05, 2007, 02:25 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,886 Posts
A geared inrunner weighs somewhat more than the equivalent outrunner but pulls less amps when spinning a big prop.

I think that the Scorpion 3008/32 outrunner , a 2200mah 3S 20 C lipo and 11x7 or smaller higher pitched prop might be a good choice. It was just the ticket for my 2.5lb P-26 Peashooter that had a large dummy motor with prop blanking and drag problems.
Contact Lucien Miller, Innov8tive Designs for advice. He has an informative thread on the Power Sytems forum about his Scorpion motors and speed controls.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Sep 06, 2007, 12:03 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,420 Posts
Thanks E Challenged. My thinking with the geared inrunner, other than the rumble, was getting a little nose weight on a relatively short nose, but on this design the battery stands vertically, right behind the motor, so an outrunner will work, only have to put a screen between the motor and battery so my batt doesn't get chewed by a spinning motor! As far as finishing, the plan is to cover with 00 silkspan, over a nitrate base, then one coat of nitrate to hold the silkspan on, then use finishing resin.
Baldguy
Old Sep 06, 2007, 01:08 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,806 Posts
If you want to go with an outrunner, I've had great luck with ~1000kV outrunners (HET 29/12/10, Rimfire 35-36-10) for my 40"-ish birds. Fly them off a 2200 or larger 3S lipo with an APC 11x7E. Gives you 300W with a decent lipo, scale looking speed and good pull for handlaunching

I'm guessing the UnitedHobbies 35-36C-1100 will work equally well at half the price if you want to go cheap...

Thomas
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2007, 06:15 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,420 Posts
Just waiting on some pics of the parts locations then it's glue time. So far it looks like I'm gonna have to add a little non-ca glue to the top and bottom insides of the bulkhead notches, just to tighten the fore and aft movement on the building crutch. As it is they are a little loose, but heh, that's what beta building is all about! Much more fun than a straight out of the box build.
Baldguy
Old Sep 22, 2007, 01:58 AM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,550 Posts
So, how's this one progressing?
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:05 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,420 Posts
Just got the parts sheet drawings this week, we had problems getting the emailed version of the plans to open, it wouldn't have any words on it! But I've had some sent to me from the designer, so now it's off to label everything and start slowwwwwwwwwwly glueing it together! This is gonna be cool!
Baldguy
Old Sep 28, 2007, 07:43 AM
frenzyscot
Dundee, Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
652 Posts
Looking forward seeing that evil nose taking shape
xterarc is offline Find More Posts by xterarc
Old Sep 28, 2007, 05:39 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth