HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2007, 03:51 PM
Texas
Joined May 2007
48 Posts
Discussion
Help! - Newbie needs direction. How small can a I go without going actauator?

Hi, all,
I'm a total newbie, never flew a rc plane. So please bear with me if I ask some dumb questions. I have posted similar question in "Indoor and Micro". Sorry for the double post, but I want to know from people of different perspectives. I've been lurking around here in RC groups for ideas so I can make some small flyable planes(unlike the 2 ch toys) with my kids(8 & 6). I've been reading here for 2 month, trying to figure out what kind of motor, esc, servo, rx , lipo battery I should use for plane with wingspan between 12"-24". I don't really want to go too small. The idea is using convetional servos, rx, etc for indoor and outdoor(calm condition) in a basketball size field. Is it possible to do so without going plantraco rx, actuator and falcon servos? Or should I say what will be the minimum size of planes I can do with today's smallest devices? What kind brushless motor, esc, rx, servos, battery can you recommend(make and model)? I have bought bunch of stuff from a guy for $140, including e-flight esc 20A with a 370 brushless motor,2 futaba std servo, 3 futaba micro S3108 servos, 2 GWS naro pro servos,7 ch receiver and battery, a great-planes brushed mini esc, a futaba 6 ch computer tx, and some 2 meter wingspan balsa and fiberglass planes. I would think most things seem too big for this size planes. I really want to use the futaba tx. Do you think there are useful items here I can use for the size of planes I want? I'm not considering buying any RTF or ARF kit, so the kids can break as many as they can, and we can make new ones with buecor fan-fold and 2mm bule foam sheet. The purpose is to make the kids hands on making their own things and have fun. I planned some time ago for the kids to do it in summer. Now the summer is over, and I don't have a plane made. Worse, I'm more lost than I was 2 month ago.
Another thing I found is that it's hard to find suitable props for small planes. I've seen someone illustrated small DIY props here. Now I can't find the thread anymore. Any idea where I may find it? Thanks for your help and the great RC groups.

Best regards.

Richard
l2bang3 is offline Find More Posts by l2bang3
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2007, 04:20 PM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Just my opinion. Change your thought on the small thing. Maybe just go with a really light 30 incher so it will fly at a walking pace. Like maybe make some Pico sticks.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Old Sep 04, 2007, 05:05 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Going too small..

I'm with Dritch on this one, expecially for little peoples enjoyment. Check out this post of a couple of less than 5 oz planes I've built. They are a barrel of fun, but more like jets than cruisers. The blue one is balsa and tissue, the other is total foamie and lighter. Both use the exact same electronics and motor. Hope this helps.

Heres the link: //www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681556&page=12

To have fun with your kids, you can't beat the BluBaby with 33" span. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Sep 04, 2007, 07:53 PM
Blue Collar DLG Marshall
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jun 2007
1,866 Posts
I am pretty new as well but I have to agree with these guys!! I have built 12-15 planes in the last 3-4 weeks and flown at least 6. I have flown both of the smaller sized BB trainers. They both fly very well and are pretty gentle. Recently I went to something like you are talking about. I built a little high wing to play with. It had an elipse wing with a slight dihedral and a 24" WS, that little guy was very manouverable and pretty quick.
I would suggest you stop by a hobby shop and pick up a couple of 3/8" sqare pieces of hard wood and build a couple of "sticks". I like using old arrow shafts but mounting the motor is a bit more complicated. Like mentioned above, a "stick" would be a great way to go. If you feel ambitious you could build a couple of BB Trainers. That little plane may be worth trying in a smaller size.
Double Pappa is offline Find More Posts by Double Pappa
Old Sep 04, 2007, 08:13 PM
Texas
Joined May 2007
48 Posts
Thanks for all your kind replies. After reading some more here, I think it's best for me to start with the blubaby. I definitely don't want to fly one like jet. I love the smooth and stable flight of the BB. I think flying the BB will be lot of fun. Thanks again.
Old Sep 04, 2007, 09:07 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2bang3
Thanks for all your kind replies. After reading some more here, I think it's best for me to start with the blubaby. I definitely don't want to fly one like jet. I love the smooth and stable flight of the BB. I think flying the BB will be lot of fun. Thanks again.
2Bang.... Great decision you won't regret. The Blu Baby thread is basic model building 101. I've never built a model that has given me more enjoyment than the three I've built. My second BB is still flying with over a 100 flights. The wing is from the original which I crashed practically immediately upon landing Only the wing survived and is not nothing but hot glue and packing tape flying on the second fuse. The little guy is still going too although I admit I don't fly it often.

I'm going to build a little bigger version in the next couple of weeks, but I keep getting that one last flight in with the old one.

Tony 65x55 came up with a great design. Thanks again... Tony. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Sep 04, 2007, 11:08 PM
Texas
Joined May 2007
48 Posts
My appreciation definitely goes to the original creator. It's awesome to watch the flight video from the Blubaby.
Old Sep 05, 2007, 08:47 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
Tony 65x55 came up with a great design. Thanks again... Tony. Bob
You're very welcome and thanks for all your support. I'm glad everyone is having so much fun with it.

Richard, it really is a great primary trainer. You'll be hard pressed to find an easier plane to fly, indoors or out. Feel free to drop me a line if you need a hand.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Sep 05, 2007, 03:22 PM
Texas
Joined May 2007
48 Posts
Thanks Tony for your kind help. Now I'm wait for my small order from UH to arrive, so I can put the right equipment in it. I have printed out the plan some time ago but it was on hold 'cause I don't think I had the right equipment.I especially like the simple design. It's was really fun to watch the BLubaby landing video. Feels like shots from a full size airliner.
Old Sep 05, 2007, 03:45 PM
Blue Collar DLG Marshall
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jun 2007
1,866 Posts
Between building for a friend of mine, my daughter and myself I think I have built at least 6 of them. It is a wonderful design. I have even used the basic building techniques to build some designs of my own. Right now I am using this "front block" technique to build a couple of British Huricane looking trainers.
Double Pappa is offline Find More Posts by Double Pappa