HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2007, 01:35 PM
Texas
Joined May 2007
48 Posts
Help!
Newbie needs direction. How small can a I go without going actauator?

Hi, all,
I'm a total newbie, never flew a rc plane. So please bear with me if I ask some dumb questions. I've been lurking around here in RC groups for ideas so I can make some small flyable planes(unlike the 2 ch toys) with my kids(8 & 6). I've been reading here for 2 month, trying to figure out what kind of motor, esc, servo, rx , lipo battery I should use for plane with wingspan between 12"-24". I don't really want to go too small. The idea is using convetional servos, rx, etc for indoor and outdoor(calm condition) in a basketball size field. Is it possible to do so without going plantraco rx, actuator and falcon servos? What kind brushless motor, esc, rx, servos, battery can you recommend(make and model)? I have bought bunch of stuff from a guy for $140, including e-flight esc 20A with a 370 brushless motor,2 futaba std servo, 3 futaba micro S3108 servos, 2 GWS naro pro servos,7 ch receiver and battery, a great-planes brushed mini esc, a futaba 6 ch computer tx, and some 2 meter wingspan balsa and fiberglass planes. I would think most things seem too big for this size planes. I really want to use the futaba tx. Do you think there are useful items here I can use for the size of planes I want? I'm not considering buying any RTF or ARF kit, so the kids can break as many as they can, and we can make new ones with buecor fan-fold and 2mm bule foam sheet. The purpose is to make the kids hands on making their own things and have fun. I planned some time ago for the kids to do it in summer. Now the summer is over, and I don't have a plane made. Worse, I'm more lost than I was 2 month ago.
Another thing I found is that it's hard to find suitable props for small planes. I've seen someone illustrated small DIY props here. Now I can't find the thread anymore. Any idea where I may find it? Thanks for your help and the great RC groups.

Best regards.
l2bang3 is offline Find More Posts by l2bang3
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2007, 02:12 PM
Joined Feb 2000
303 Posts
About the only things you listed that will be useful is the TX, possibly the small servos for larger(24") planes. The cheapest and easist way to do what you want is the Kyosho/Parkzone Cessna. Its a RTF but has useful radio gear in the size you want. Its also far cheaper than buying individual components. Next easiest would be the falcon breeze block.

Look through the stickies at the top of the board. They will point you in the right direction including vendors.

Warren
strouse is offline Find More Posts by strouse
Old Sep 04, 2007, 07:04 PM
Texas
Joined May 2007
48 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I got more homework to do. much appreciated.
Old Sep 05, 2007, 01:52 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined May 2007
427 Posts
One way to go that I think would be pretty easy is see if you can locate a twin-engined airhogs plane at Target. On this website they are called Air Aces or simply AA, but in practice they are sold under a lot of different names. The twin-engined planes have no servos, they are controlled by differential thrust of the two motors. Get one and fly it until it breaks, then tear it apart and use the inards for your own designs. The twin motors with props have a suprising amount of thrust. They cost about $30. Another plane that has come onto the market at Target is the U-Build It by Airhogs for $20. It has a single engine and a coil-actuated rudder that would be slightly more difficult, but still easy to re-use in your own aircraft.

A regular poster here named Harpye has posted a lot of beautiful scale twin-engined warbirds based on the AA planes.

Marlin
mcm1303 is offline Find More Posts by mcm1303
Old Sep 05, 2007, 02:30 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
The gear yo have is really suited to park flyers. The BlueCore or FanFold approach is a great way to make low-cost, low-effort models. FoamFly.com has a gallery of plans and a link to 'GPWs FREE Plans'. There is a huge selection of models you guys can make for a few cents each. Some of the models may be able to fly in a basketball court, but they are really outside parkfliers.

Going micro does require more purpose-built, light weight gear, and it also requires a lot more patience and finesse than bigger models, more perhaps than a 6 and 8 year old can muster. I'd suggest you and the kids build park fliers, and go smaller when they have developed the skills.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Sep 06, 2007, 02:29 PM
Texas
Joined May 2007
48 Posts
Thanks for all the help from you guys. I realized what I want is parkflyers, so I will go that route. Cheers.
Old Sep 06, 2007, 06:35 PM
is it supposed to smoke??
canada alberta outside edmonton
Joined Apr 2007
2,918 Posts
yes i use actuators on my 5" planes with 7" wingspans so you defenitely got parkflyer as a way to go
3dFlyer88 is offline Find More Posts by 3dFlyer88