HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2002, 04:39 PM
Ambassador
York, PA, USA
Joined Jul 2000
336 Posts
E3D, first flight, cut short, gearing question...

Well, finally had my first flight of my E3D today (thanks to Kelvin's thread)... Takeoff, and climb out was smooth and straight without trimming.... then, as I throttled back and turned crosswind, I heard a noise. By the sound I could tell it was a gear problem. I was just barely high enough to cut the pattern short and glide it in for a pretty good first power-off landing...

I have the stock setup w/ the endo. When I put the pinion on the motor, I think I pushed it on too far, because it is not making contact all the ay across the spur gear. So, the spur gear was stripped smooth where it made contact.

So, my question is was this because I had my pinion too far on the motor, and if so, how to I pull it off? Do I need a special pinion puller? Also, if I need to pull it off, the pinion will not be making full contact with the motor shaft, is this ok?
Kosh is offline Find More Posts by Kosh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2002, 08:05 AM
Ambassador
York, PA, USA
Joined Jul 2000
336 Posts
anyone have any input?
Old Nov 25, 2002, 08:51 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,796 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=67456

Check out that thread.

When you mesh your gear together you should use one thickness of printer paper in between the gears. Once the bolts are tightened down the paper should be fairly easy to remove when turning the prop shaft. Then when you spin the prop shaft the motor/gear should have no tight spots. Then if you move the motor/shaft ever so slightly you should have just a tad bit of play inbetween the gears.

If your gear is to tight it'll strip a gear, if to loose it'll strip a gear. The computer paper makes it just right.

Any other questions please ask, but I'm far from an expert as you can see from the thread above.

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2002, 09:22 AM
Ambassador
York, PA, USA
Joined Jul 2000
336 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'll try the paper trick. So it is not a proglem if the pinion is only contacting half the thickness of the spur gear? I figured it was better to have the pinion fully on the motor shaft.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 10:03 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,336 Posts
Re: E3D, first flight, cut short, gearing question...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kosh
So, my question is was this because I had my pinion too far on the motor, and if so, how to I pull it off? Do I need a special pinion puller? Also, if I need to pull it off, the pinion will not be making full contact with the motor shaft, is this ok? ...

...So it is not a proglem if the pinion is only contacting half the thickness of the spur gear? I figured it was better to have the pinion fully on the motor shaft.
The "Stock" setup runs around 400 watts (over 1/2 HP). That's a lot of power transfering through less than the full gear tooth contact area with the gears as you have them now. You'll get much better service life from the gearbox if the teeth are fully engaged. The safest way to move the pinion without damage to anything is with a gear puller. If you did move the gear, how much of the gear will not be contacted by the motor shaft?
GregG is online now Find More Posts by GregG
Last edited by GregG; Nov 25, 2002 at 10:06 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 10:06 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Pull pinions off a shaft can be frustrating without the proper tool. A pinion puller makes life easier. I normally apply a drop of blue Loctite to my pinions (am I too cautious?) with set screws and have to use a pinon puller to get them off. Since we have to use gearboxes alot in e flight I think a pinion puller is a good investment. If you buy one make sure it will handle 5mm shafts also in case you ever get a motor with one. I got mine from MEC, it was $18. I had to modify it slightly for 5mm shafts by filing the slot the motor shaft slips down through.

In regards to pull the pinion gear out a little more to contact the full spur gear how much overhang are you talking about? I don't think it will hurt to have the pinion overhang the shaft a few mm.

The paper trick works fine and after a little experience you can set the clearance without the paper.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Nov 25, 2002, 11:03 AM
Ambassador
York, PA, USA
Joined Jul 2000
336 Posts
I'll have to check and see how much would be off the shaft. But from what I recall, it would be about half the width of the spur gear.

Anyone else with the stock motor and GB? Did you have this problem?

And thanks for the tips, I'll look into a pinion puller.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 04:56 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
I just measured the motor shaft length on my Endo in my Kwik-E; 7/32". I don't have a GB gear box but just eyeballing it it seems the gearbox would have to stick out quite a distance from the motor for half the pinion to be hanging from the shaft. Maybe you should email Gary about this. There are plenty of people flying with the Endo/GP and I haven't read anything about this until now.

Good luck

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Nov 25, 2002, 06:35 PM
Product Manager at Hobbico
United States
Joined May 2000
5,163 Posts
the pinion only goes on 1/2 to 3/4 of the way onto the motor shaft or else you don't get full engagement with the spur gear. Works fine without it being pressed all the way down.
GWRIGHT is offline Find More Posts by GWRIGHT
Old Nov 26, 2002, 08:05 AM
Ambassador
York, PA, USA
Joined Jul 2000
336 Posts
Thanks for the clarification gary. I'll get a pinion puller, pull it out a bit, and try the paper trick to make sure I have a good gear mesh.