HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2007, 09:18 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Discussion
How many lazy people are out there?

Well, I guess the question is... How many people rely on radio mixes? As in Aile. to Rudd. etc.? I just started and it makes flying a little easier. I just want your opinion, Do you do it? If so why? or why not?
Mike
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Last edited by tc dude; Sep 03, 2007 at 11:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2007, 09:45 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
Well, 3Disaster, I had a 24" flying wing that had to have mixing between throttle and elevons. The high torque made it very difficult to fly without it. Other than that I haven't had much use for it.

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Sep 02, 2007, 09:51 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
On one plane, I have a tiny touch of ruder to elevator mix to straighten out a knife edge. I'm getting read to add it to another plane. Neither plane needs them for good knife edge, but the rest of the plane's flight characteristics are dead on, so I figured a little fix for knife edge would make them perfect.

Those are the only mixes I have right now. I used to use a mixer to program in two elevator servos, but the radio I have now (Royal Evo) will do multiple servos for any channel, so a mix isn't needed.
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Sep 02, 2007, 10:45 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,644 Posts
lazy people DON'T use mixes.

Mixes are just one of dozens of tools and setup methods we can use to fly better. Only the most casual flyer doesn't try to improve his or her flying, and perhaps those folks don't have any need to optimize mechanical and electronic setups.

Of course, like any powerful tool, misuse and overuse of mixes can cause more harm than good. Mixing rudder to ailerons to help coordinate turns is an example of a mix that creates more problems than it solves. I'm WAY too lazy to use that bogus mix. But I love using other mixes--such as aileron to rudder to help prevent roll with rudder use.

-Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Sep 02, 2007, 11:14 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,073 Posts
I guess I'm a lazy flyer by making it harder . Have yet to turn on a mix (other than elevons of course) . I see no reason to, while I am learning to fly as I've a lot to learn. So my philosophy is "Learn to do 'mixing' by hand first". Maybe some day I'll actually want to use them, but at this point, I think they'd hinder learning more than help (make me look better than I actually am ... and I'd consider that 'cheating' ) . My other philosophy is "Learn a soft touch" on the sticks. Have yet to use expo to any extent for this very reason. It's a tool, but not a tool to totally rely on. My two cents .
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Sep 02, 2007, 11:19 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
I use (switchable) aileron-rudder mixing on my glider to get nice low drag coordinated turns which is important when your airplane is so high you can barely see it.

I also use flap-elevator mixing to avoid big pitch changes when the flaps are deployed.

In both cases I don't see this being lazy... it's just a tool to make the plane fly better.

With aerobatic airplanes, the goal of mixing is different... it's to try to make each control as uncoupled from the others as possible. E.g. ailerons should only roll the airplane and not yaw it, rudder should only yaw and not pitch or roll it and elevator should only control pitch. A great aerobatic design airplane doesn't need any mixing help, however most designs are not great so mixing can often help.
groundfx is offline Find More Posts by groundfx
Old Sep 03, 2007, 12:12 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,324 Posts
I use also occasionally use elevator to counter flap ballooning and -30% expo around for the most part.
If I can't do it with my thumbs, I don't trust the radio to do it either.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Sep 03, 2007, 05:04 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,650 Posts
No mixing here... I've thought about it for KE--my Funtana X has some coupling, but figured I'd probably lose "feel" for the airplane...
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Sep 03, 2007, 05:52 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,292 Posts
Mixing is great.Especially programable mixing.

For crow, I use the programable mixes to adjust and control the amount of deflection, and when. I always put crow or flaperons/spoilerons on a slider or throttle stick. Never on a switch.

For some ships, aileron to rudder mixing. I still use rudder, but sometimes high (as mentioned previously) mixing is very useful.

Lazy?...
Hardly....
It's much harder to learn to use the mixes, than ignore them.
It's also more fun.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Sep 03, 2007, 06:54 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
If you can show me how to provide full trailing edge camber control with switched crow, elevator compensation, and individual flight phases for launch, thermal and landing on a 6-servo model WITHOUT mixing, please do..

.. as to rudder input, I use the left-stick when required..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Sep 03, 2007, 11:27 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
"How may lazy people are out there?"

Well, I was born in May and have been known to be lazy at times!
Does that count?

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2007, 11:38 AM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
lol, all better now
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Sep 03, 2007, 12:17 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,572 Posts
Hey TC dude,

Thanks for taking it so well!!
I just got back from an awesome morning of flight and was feeling a bit silly.

A few years back, I happened to be at the right place at the right time.
Got to spend the afternoon, one on one, with Quique. Every tme he would land, I would pump him with questions. At that time he was not using mixes at all.

Have a good one.

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member