Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 02, 2007, 07:44 PM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
Discussion
Upgrading to Honeybee King II

Greetings, I originally posted this thread in "electric heli talk" but found out that's not the best place for this thread, so basically I copied and pasted what I said in there over here.

I've had my Blade CX2 for about 2 months, it's the first thing I bought with my first paycheck. I've always wanted an RC helicopter, and the Blade CX2 has served me well, I enjoyed flying it very much. As I flew it more and more, I caught the helicopter fever. Within a couple weeks of getting it, I decided to join this forum. Greatest move I've made, you guys all give really knowledgeable advice .
As with a lot of other Blade CX2 owners, I started modding it to get more enjoyment, a combination of bling and performance mods. It's not until at this point I feel that my flights with my Blade CX2 are rather limited. I'm not talking about flight time. Now that I've mastered the skill of orientation and can do fast forward flight and the only capable trick a coaxial can do, I'm craving for a single-rotor heli. Pretty much all I can do with the CX2 is make it fly fast and do constant spins, I've heard you can make it do a hammerhead, but I'm not real interested in attempting such a thing.
After buying etc things with my paychecks from my summer job, I decided that I was going to spend the remaining amount ($250) on an RC heli that is capable of 3d flight. I was thinking about getting a CP Pro. I never really looked outside of the Blade series until a great user on this forum persuaded me to do so. He didn't actually tell me to, I just decided to do a bit of window shopping myself. He owns a great number of helis, I think its unnecessary to have so many. He introduced to me the Honeybee series. I've seen them here and there, but I didn't take interest into them until now.
The Obsessed Heli Freak owns both the Blade and Honeybee series (+ others), and tells me that the CP Pro is a waste of $250. I agreed with him after looking into the Honeybees. They're much cheaper and are easier to fly, and they're more stable helis than the CP Pro. He wishes he would of skipped the CP Pro, he advised me to do just that. I took his advice, seeing that he owns just about every chopper I've heard about, and some I have yet to even know about.
After examining each Honeybee, I've decided to go straight from a Blade CX2 to a Honeybee King 2. It's a big move, going from a coaxial to a 3D capable bird. I'll take it easy and be as careful as possible. I KNOW I'm going to crash it, so I'll buy some extra blades and such. He recommended getting the Honeybee FP FIRST, then getting the HoneyBee King 2. I saw the logic behind it, but I couldn't afford it.
If it's one last chopper I'm going to get before my next summer job, it's going to be that Honeybee King 2. I can't depend on my birthday or Christmas to get such a thing, even if I don't have an income anymore. Its price seems very reasonable compared to the Blade CP Pro. Parts are much cheaper as well.
With all that said, here comes The real discussion: Is there anything I should keep in mind once I receive my Honeybee King 2? I've read that I should replace the main motor with a brushless one; any ideas one whether to do that right away or later? I need to know how much that modification may cost. Also, When would it be a good time to purchase these night blades for it? (The blades I'm talking about look like the ones below, the link page has many etc blades, just scroll down and you'll see them)

Please elaborate upon any advice you guys can give me. Links to where/how you bought your own Honeybee and information on it would be great! Thank you for your time and reading my ridiculously long post. I've seen longer; I tend to type out A LOT when I make threads ^^;...

(I'll most likely edit this post later over time)
Necron Xen is offline Find More Posts by Necron Xen
Last edited by Necron Xen; Sep 03, 2007 at 02:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2007, 08:00 PM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Hi Necron

I think you are making a good choice in going with the King I picked mine up at

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=3123

and the brushless set up at http://www.raidentech.com/ for 40.00 for 3900 esky motor and 25 amp esc.

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
Old Sep 02, 2007, 08:06 PM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
Very helpful links, much thanks
Old Sep 02, 2007, 08:24 PM
United States, CA, Walnut
Joined Sep 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necron Xen
Very helpful links, much thanks

Your very welcome

Gary
Blusaber is offline Find More Posts by Blusaber
Old Sep 02, 2007, 10:37 PM
The "K"minator
Frostbite Falls,MN
Joined Sep 2006
2,223 Posts
$ 100.00 blades are a little spendy for such a limited budget.Stick with some spare parts that you can use to keep it flying.
Crazy Eight is offline Find More Posts by Crazy Eight
Old Sep 02, 2007, 10:50 PM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, I've made the order from the place I found to be the cheapest. Problem is, I'm in Washington and they're in Massachusetts, so it'll take about 5 days for my money order to reach them, about 2 days to process it, and then another 5 days to ship over here before I even see it. School will be way in session by then, and I'm also awaiting the day Halo 3 comes out. The day it comes could be near September 25th (when Halo 3 comes out). So when I get my HoneyBee King 2, I won't be sure how to split up my time after skool. I'll be stuck between flying the Honeybee King 2 and playing Halo 3. Though, that's not your guys' problem ^^;. On top of all that, tomorrow is the labor day holiday, so there's no mail tomorrow -_-; just one more day added to my wait. I think I chose a bad time to buy a helicopter, but hey, at least I'm getting it. So now I must find something to kill my time as I anxiously await the moment I get my Honeybee to power up and hover. Halo 3 would be nice right about now. Skool is gonna make things seem 10x longer =|
Old Sep 02, 2007, 11:06 PM
MaxiR SE, King II
Portland, OR
Joined Oct 2006
361 Posts
Good luck with your King. Just remember that a crash is a bigger deal with the king II then it would have been with the FP. I just got my FP but I was hovering full packs outside on my first day. Recently it got away from me and I got disoriented, end result was it fell from about 50 feet onto grass. Total damage was broken skids.

If that had been a king, I would have probably had 30 bucks or more to repair, and hours of setting it back up.

You mention you used a M.O. If I was you, I would have just given my parents the cash and used their card. Thats what I did before I had my own cards
wilsgrant is offline Find More Posts by wilsgrant
Last edited by wilsgrant; Sep 03, 2007 at 02:51 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2007, 12:27 AM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
Um, there's this thing between my parents and I. My mom can't find out I'm buying another helicopter...at least not yet. She'd freak. Whatever is used on a credit card is recorded and sent in the mail, you know all about that if you have a credit card
Old Sep 03, 2007, 01:08 AM
Its not that windy...
United States, CA, PORTER RANCH
Joined May 2007
1,164 Posts
I feel your pain. Lucky I have my dad...
aerosoardude is offline Find More Posts by aerosoardude
Old Sep 03, 2007, 01:21 AM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
Yeah, my dad's the one that let me know how to use money orders xD
Old Sep 03, 2007, 01:26 AM
MaxiR SE, King II
Portland, OR
Joined Oct 2006
361 Posts
Quote:
Um, there's this thing between my parents and I. My mom can't find out I'm buying another helicopter...at least not yet. She'd freak. Whatever is used on a credit card is recorded and sent in the mail, you know all about that if you have a credit card
Hah, I know how that goes. I have considered selling one or two crafts in my fleet just so I don't feel so guilty having so many flying rc things :P (I had to buy a special shelf thing from IKEA to organize all of them!)
Old Sep 03, 2007, 01:39 AM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsgrant
Hah, I know how that goes. I have considered selling one or two crafts in my fleet just so I don't feel so guilty having so many flying rc things :P (I had to buy a special shelf thing from IKEA to organize all of them!)
Wow, you remind me of somebody else I (kinda) know. Can you name them all?
Old Sep 03, 2007, 01:59 AM
MaxiR SE, King II
Portland, OR
Joined Oct 2006
361 Posts
Quote:
Wow, you remind me of somebody else I (kinda) know. Can you name them all?
Heli's:

Havoc Heli (Got me addicted.. but sucked)
Walkera 5#6 (Cool size but bad quality, lama was much better) *
Esky Lama v4 (Prepared me for the FP)
Esky Honeybee FP (Full battery pack hovered outside on my first day of ownership )

Fixed wing:
Avion (Fun in the living room)
Micro Cesna (Fun, but is really just a small supercub) *
Supercub (Great trainer and all around flyer)

*'s = Things I wish I had skipped
Last edited by wilsgrant; Sep 03, 2007 at 02:48 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2007, 02:36 AM
Joined Jul 2007
66 Posts
Hey Necron, you could have named me as the obsessed heli freak! But don't make me sound like expert, I bought my first coax(AXE EZ), just a few months ago, LOL.

I would have posted sooner, but spent the day tweaking the CP2, and flying the FP, King, and CXs!

To answer one of your questions, no need for a heatsink, the King 2 has one installed.

I have also been busy, reading on the Belt CP. I feel the need for another big heli(I have some store credit I need to spend), and was thinking about another King 2, but have been eying the Belt CP, since it is a little bigger, and brushless.

Just to compete(I am kiding), with wilsgrant, I also own:

Fixed wing:
hobbico cessna 180
Estes crappy plane
Parkzone FW190 (but that does not count, technically a tree in a local park owns that one)
fly97 is offline Find More Posts by fly97
Old Sep 03, 2007, 02:51 AM
Genius or Madness?
The Evergreen State
Joined Jul 2007
873 Posts
Wilsgrant,

I've been wondering about the Walkera models ever since I took a look at the Honeybee series, but I guess I can predict how they are according to your opinion. Lolz, and here you see fly97, the guy that got me into the Honeybee series.

fly97,

Alrighty then, I'll edit my post xD. It's alright if you were busy with your helis man, that's kool. Ain't nothin wrong with that. Great to know the King comes with a built-in heat sink, how convenient! lolz, I wasn't intending to make a contest, but that's kool too. You already have a great selection of helis, so any advice I might give about the CP belt, you'd probably already know xD. Good luck to you