HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2007, 08:52 AM
bad speller extraordinair
Tucson
Joined Jun 2007
138 Posts
Fourdan,

Let me send my appreciation on your program as well. One of my jobs in my day job is to program these type of calcs for healthcare planning, and to have one that performs this well takes a good bit of time and effort. those bugs are really elusive. (We use VFP for the desktop client)

Kudos from a kindred programmer.

- Clint
TucsonClint is offline Find More Posts by TucsonClint
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2007, 06:08 AM
United States, NJ, Paramus
Joined Jun 2004
1,811 Posts
Question on watts

Hi All I was just looking at the Scorpion Calculator..What A great tool..Now how do I know what the watts is? I see the bottom graph, with amps running horizontal, but how do I read the vertical??

Thanks Dan
PS I have a 3020/12 that will getting it's 1st reral test today
DBono99 is offline Find More Posts by DBono99
Old Nov 11, 2007, 07:02 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,951 Posts
Hi
Lower graph
You have tag-info if you move the mouse on the graph.
There are 3 modes(options) : Power-in-out, Rpm and temp versus current
For one prop there is one point (small circle) corresponding
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Nov 12, 2007, 05:34 AM
United States, NJ, Paramus
Joined Jun 2004
1,811 Posts
Louis :I don't see the the options.. I did move the mouse over the graph??

Thanks Dan
DBono99 is offline Find More Posts by DBono99
Old Nov 12, 2007, 05:44 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBono99
Louis :I don't see the the options.. I did move the mouse over the graph??

Thanks Dan
The options are in the frame named "Lower curve"
There are 3 buttons.
Louis
Old Nov 12, 2007, 01:17 PM
bad speller extraordinair
Tucson
Joined Jun 2007
138 Posts
Forudan,

Working with IMP v2.38, in the preferences form, I cannot change the ambient temp away from 68 deg F. I can input a 90 deg value, but when I lose focus to another input, it resets. FYI - But here in Tucson 68 deg F is a rare day. :-)

I may have missed this as well, but is there anyway to set the preferences permanently? Mine reset between sessions. I'm not saving projects either.

Thanks,

Clint
TucsonClint is offline Find More Posts by TucsonClint
Old Nov 12, 2007, 02:51 PM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonClint
Forudan,

Working with IMP v2.38, in the preferences form, I cannot change the ambient temp away from 68 deg F. I can input a 90 deg value, but when I lose focus to another input, it resets. FYI - But here in Tucson 68 deg F is a rare day. :-)

I may have missed this as well, but is there anyway to set the preferences permanently? Mine reset between sessions. I'm not saving projects either.

Thanks,

Clint
Hi Clint
My bad .. a little bug in my VB6 source (only on non Metric).
Next version 2.39 is fixed.
Published in some hours on RC-Groups
Louis
Old Nov 12, 2007, 03:19 PM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,951 Posts
SC v2.39

Hi
Scorpion Calc is up-dated
v2.39 for Metric or Imperial default starting (after that, they are totally equivalent)
News : a little bug (Tamb in preferences) corrected
Please destroy v2.38 or older
Louis
Old Nov 12, 2007, 03:30 PM
Foam is my friend?
San Fernando Valley, CA
Joined Oct 2004
40 Posts
Louis,

I have several issues/questions:

1) Like TucsonClint, I cannot change the ambient temperature.

2) Like DBono99, I cannot access the lower options. For me, it is an overall scaling problem for the image. I have extra space on the sides of my screen but I cannot expand/stretch the bottom of the image, so the last fields I see across the bottom are Peak Efficiency; Power In, Power Out; and Current. My display is set to 1024 x 768 pixels -- do I have to adjust to use your program? Most images, in my experience, adjust automatically.

3) When I save a result, the propeller selection is not properly saved....usually it brings up a random propeller when I retrieve a saved result. After much trial-and-error, the only way I can find to retrieve the saved data is to a) change the propeller filter in Preferences to the correct set for my chosen propeller (such as APC), b) change the propeller "Auto/to keep #" setting to "to keep #", and THEN open the saved file. Fortunately, I included the propeller info in the saved file names or I could not have made this work.

4) I am not able to bring up a printing option inside your image. Your program seems to lock-out a right mouse click.

Thanks,

Rod
e-Rod is offline Find More Posts by e-Rod
Old Nov 12, 2007, 04:01 PM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,951 Posts
Rod

several issues/questions:

1) Like TucsonClint, I cannot change the ambient temperature.
Try new release 2.39

2) Like DBono99, I cannot access the lower options. For me, it is an overall scaling problem for the image. I have extra space on the sides of my screen but I cannot expand/stretch the bottom of the image, so the last fields I see across the bottom are Peak Efficiency; Power In, Power Out; and Current. My display is set to 1024 x 768 pixels -- do I have to adjust to use your program? Most images, in my experience, adjust automatically.
I have tried 1024x768, for my Toshiba XP it's OK

3) When I save a result, the propeller selection is not properly saved....usually it brings up a random propeller when I retrieve a saved result. After much trial-and-error, the only way I can find to retrieve the saved data is to a) change the propeller filter in Preferences to the correct set for my chosen propeller (such as APC), b) change the propeller "Auto/to keep #" setting to "to keep #", and THEN open the saved file. Fortunately, I included the propeller info in the saved file names or I could not have made this work.
If you use "auto" (saved) at starting you start in "auto" that means a suggested prop close to Peakeff. For me it is logical

4) I am not able to bring up a printing option inside your image. Your program seems to lock-out a right mouse click.
Try Shift+PrintScreen on your keyboard and use a photo software with the clipboard image.
For now there is no "Print" command, in the freeware

Louis
Last edited by Fourdan; Nov 13, 2007 at 04:25 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:43 PM
Foam is my friend?
San Fernando Valley, CA
Joined Oct 2004
40 Posts
Louis,

Let me try again with point #3:

Quote:

If you use "auto" (saved) at starting you start in "auto" that means a suggested prop close to Peakeff. For me it is logical
I believe you are suggesting that I was in the "auto" propeller mode prior to saving the result. Actually, I was in the "to keep #" mode. Then I saved the result. Is it not logical that what was (intended to be) saved should be present when the result is retrieved? I used the "Custom" option in the motor parameters section, and that info was saved and retrieved. The propeller information that was part of the "preferred solution" is equally important.

Thanks,

Rod
e-Rod is offline Find More Posts by e-Rod
Old Nov 13, 2007, 04:23 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,951 Posts
SC v2.39

e-Rod

For the mode "Auto / to keep#" concerning the prop ..
I have to check my program regarding the saving and re-starting situation of the mode flag.
In my to-do list
Louis
Old Nov 13, 2007, 05:37 PM
Central Florida
Joined Oct 2001
419 Posts
Louis,

Thanks for this program. Can various winds be programmed in for those of us that like to build them from the kit and need KVs that are different from those from the factory?
drewjet is offline Find More Posts by drewjet
Old Nov 14, 2007, 02:44 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewjet
Louis,

Thanks for this program. Can various winds be programmed in for those of us that like to build them from the kit and need KVs that are different from those from the factory?
Hi
Good question
SC doesn't take into account Scorpion kits.
Using "custom" it is not an easy way
1) Concerning Kv (easy)
The Kv for a kit is Kv2 = N1 x Kv1 / N2
N1 and Kv1 from a finished(factory) winding, N1 = number of wires-turns per slot
2) For Rm and Io it is more difficult to predict
That is the reason to wait some time to have this type of computation.
(in my todo list)

Louis
Old Nov 17, 2007, 12:50 AM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,269 Posts
Noticed that on the Scorpion Calc 2.32V with the 40 series motors they show the same 780KV for almost all of them, is this a problem that needs fixed?

Love the Calc.

BlazerB52
BlazerB52 is offline Find More Posts by BlazerB52