HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2007, 12:14 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
All Done

This is how it looks after you finish the third phase. Note you have three pairs of wire all nicely next to each other. That's what Louis was referring to originally: attach each pair to a pigtail (or directly to your motor plugs) and you have a Delta wind -- simple, easy, neat, quick. You can just slip a sleeve of small heatshrink over each pair.

Looks pretty clean, too.

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2007, 02:55 AM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
3,022 Posts
Delta windings for 12 slots

Hi

Wonderful tutorial Dave.
But you must have citated Ralph for his original idea (zig-zag).
I was just an incitator for you.
Anyway, thanks for these posts and pictures.

Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Sep 16, 2007, 06:53 PM
United States, ME, Stonington
Joined Aug 2005
103 Posts
Change easily from delta to Y?

I'm not sure what I'll end up with (I'm planning 14 turns of AWG 26 powered with 3 LiPo's) and want the option to change the speed and power of the motor after I've wound it. Wouldn't it be easy enough to run all the wires to the outside of the case so that one could try either connection just by soldering the correct pairs.

It looks like the "zig-zag" delta winding scheme would be easier to do this with as there are only three places where the wires finish their winds as opposed to 6 for the method first presented.

Am I on the right track?

Great tutorial!!!!

Jack
diceco is offline Find More Posts by diceco
Old Sep 16, 2007, 08:17 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Jack,

If I were uncertain, I'd go with the standard method.

To do delta, you just use any three adjacent pairs, order doesn't matter. If you just wire them up and test them first (as delta) you'll have tons of wire left to go wye if you need to slow it down. A proper wye hookup, however, will make delta kind of difficult (an improper wye with a looooong common wire will be fine, and only slightly inefficient).

Standard method is easy to do either wye or delta; doing wye with the Delta variant is confusing and you have to make sure you have the right wires.

Note to Louis: I didn't mention Ralph because, well, you did. Also I learned this technique not from Ralph's excellent site but from a Chinese gentleman quite a while back. Sadly, I do not at this time remember his name.

Dave
Last edited by timocharis; Feb 26, 2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 11:22 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,422 Posts
Jack.

You can try this conector.

Motor with Quick Delta, Star Connector
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630990

Manuel V.
manuel v is offline Find More Posts by manuel v
Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:34 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Dave
Thanks for the really cool pictured tutorial.
Great looking winds/motors.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Sep 17, 2007, 02:09 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, BB.

Hey flynfrfun, if you drop back -- you can get an rpm reader for the eagle tree pretty cheap, and if you have that you can test with the best of 'em. Volts, amps and RPM are just about the whole story. A scale can come later.

Dave
Old Sep 18, 2007, 05:02 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Apr 2006
1,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timocharis
Thanks for the kind words, BB.

Hey flynfrfun, if you drop back -- you can get an rpm reader for the eagle tree pretty cheap, and if you have that you can test with the best of 'em. Volts, amps and RPM are just about the whole story. A scale can come later.

Dave
Hmmm...actually I already have it, just haven't soldered up a connector for it yet . I need to do that.

I will say, I'm very happy with my motor so far. I'm flying 12-14min flights with mild 3D thrown in (some hovering, harriers, flat spins and such) and only putting roughly 450-550mah back into my TP 730 (that's as far as I push it to stay within about 80% capacity). This with an APC 9x3.8 prop. I like that prop because it doesn't take much extra throttle to go from normal flight to a hover. Seemed like it took a lot more rpms in a hover with the GWS 8x4 and GWS 8x4.3 SF. My motor comes down at pretty much ambient temp, so I don't think I'm pushing it very hard. Mine is slightly noisy, but I think it's my RCmart ESC because both the dLRK and the stock 1500kv motors I have are about the same noise.

It's really cool to see a plane flying with a motor I put together myself . I'm planning on ordering a few more kits just for the fun of it!
Flynfrfun
flynfrfun is offline Find More Posts by flynfrfun
Old Sep 18, 2007, 09:32 PM
United States, ME, Stonington
Joined Aug 2005
103 Posts
Ain't Science Wonderful!

I rewound that GWS 2208/18T with 14 turns of 26 guage in the 50/50 distributed LRK winding scheme. There was plenty of room between the teeth. I hooked it up wye and measured 10320 rpm at 12.3 volts (3 lipos) at the battery terminals of the speed control. That gives 839 Kv (neglecting controller losses). I had hoped for around 1500 Kv so I tried the delta hook up. It wound up to 17460 rpm (is there a danger of overspeed??) at 12.2 volts for a Kv of 1431. The theory would predict 1.73 x 839 = 1451. Good correlation I'd say! Probably within the measurement accuracy of the equipment.

Now the question is how much power will it handle.

Is there a way to predict this from the wire size and turns? How do I determine imperically how much power it will take? Motor winding temperature? I don't have a pyrometer so I guess I'll have to calibrate my fingers!

Thanks for your help and inspiration. Jack
diceco is offline Find More Posts by diceco
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:06 AM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,422 Posts
Diceco.

around 11,000 rpm, 12A, GWS8x4.
1430kv. not is good fot GWS9x5.

You can try more turn. 17 in two layer.
21 in tree layer. o more thicker wire.

Manuel V.
Last edited by manuel v; Sep 19, 2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 06:03 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceco
... There was plenty of room between the teeth....
Next time use thicker wire to fill up all the space. Will give higher efficiency.
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Sep 30, 2007, 04:42 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,422 Posts
I am going to include some schemes derived from drawings of Mr. Ralph. in order to clarify plus this form to rewind. with photos of Mr. Dave.

DLRK wind for Delta.
AabBCcaABbcC
Old Sep 30, 2007, 04:46 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,422 Posts
First Wire. Aa----aA
Last edited by manuel v; Sep 30, 2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 05:06 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,422 Posts
Second Wire Blue.
Last edited by manuel v; Sep 30, 2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 05:16 PM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,422 Posts
third wire green.