Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 01, 2007, 05:23 PM
USA, VA, Arlington
Joined Jul 2002
421 Posts
Discussion
Top Flite Giant Scale P-51d ARF converted to Neu2215/1.5y

We picked up this beautifully detailed airframe last year and set about converting it to electric. After lots of debate, research and testing we landed on this setup:
Motor: Neu2215/1.5y geared inrunner www.neumotors.com
ESC: JetiSpin200
Battery: 2, ThunderPower Extreme 6s (22 volt) 9000 mAh packs in series to create a 12s, 9000 mAh power source
Wiring and connectors were 13 gauge silicon noodle wire with 5.5mm bullet connectors including a fabricated safety shunt placed under the fuselage at the forward end of the wingroot
Prop? we really wanted a 4 bladed scale prop to match the high quality detailing the original builder gave to the airframe. We found a British Columbia firm called NRG Research and their Solo Props!
www.soloprops.com
We installed a 24" scale version and Tru-Turn cut a beautiful spinner to match it.
Here is a video of the maiden flight:
http://media.putfile.com/TopFlite-GS...s-24--SoloProp

and here are some pictures:

LaxLife is offline Find More Posts by LaxLife
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2007, 09:37 PM
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Sep 2003
1,134 Posts
Sweet plane

John
jonnyjetprop is offline Find More Posts by jonnyjetprop
Old Sep 01, 2007, 11:52 PM
I'm Charged!
The end of the Oregon trail
Joined Jan 2001
1,035 Posts
WOW! Nice conversion.
Makes me wish I had not sold my Top Flite Giant scale mustang kit. With todays motors/batteries, seems almost anthing can be converted.Too cool.

What is your AUW, and WOT current on this model?

Jeff
megawatt is offline Find More Posts by megawatt
Old Sep 02, 2007, 12:37 AM
USA, VA, Arlington
Joined Jul 2002
421 Posts
All up weight: 25 lbs
current? I haven't measured it yet (poor answer but that's the truth--I was too scared and I wasn't the test pilot, just the financier!)
Old Sep 02, 2007, 01:36 AM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,112 Posts
nice. How much pitch are you running?

Hans
hul is offline Find More Posts by hul
Old Sep 02, 2007, 06:16 AM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,866 Posts
I don't know much about planes that heavy, but seems like a really well built undercarriage to survive a landing like that. Surely you are supposed to come in a bit lower with a little power on.

Looks like a great plane and the Neu motor seems to do the job
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Sep 02, 2007, 09:26 AM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Joined Sep 2006
1,192 Posts
Can you show me a little bit more on how you placed the batteries and how you were connected/disconnecting?
countrygentleman is offline Find More Posts by countrygentleman
Old Sep 02, 2007, 11:54 AM
USA, VA, Arlington
Joined Jul 2002
421 Posts
Pitch setting? The Solo Props have an ingenious variable pitch hub. We ran this maiden on 10 degrees. Now its time to tweek the prop and tune it to the motor. I'm ordering 22" and 20" blades to test them since the 24" blades provided so much power. My test pilot's school beckoned him to return so we had to get it in the air without some of the usual monitoring and tweeking one would normally pursue. Our maiden was more of a "light this candle and see if she flies" moment.
Landing? yes it was too hard but the robart springs cushioned it nicely and there was no damage. Chalk it up to maiden flight jitters. The retractable tail wheel collapsed on the 2nd or third bump: no air pressure. We had discovered a mystery air leak on taxi out and decided to keep the gear extended the entire flight. The tail's retainer isn't firm enough to keep it extended when there is no air pressure.

Battery placement?
The two BIG ThunderPower 6s 9000 mAh Extreme Series lipos lie next to each other in the middle of the wing root battery tray. We had thought they'd be going much further forward up under the cowl but balancing tests proved she was nose heavy so we extended the tray aft by moving the retract servo and valve even further aft which wrecked TopFlite's nicely laid out retract valve/servo station but so be it. Before the next flight I'll post images of the tray with the packs installed in their flight position.

Wiring?
here is a shot of the main battery connection just below the safety shunt. We used 13 gauge silicon noodle wire and 5.5 mm bullet connectors. The lipo's have male positive connections and female negative connections. To create the serial connection; one pack's positive connects to the other pack's negative and then the free connection from each pack makes the connection at the plane shown here to the left, just below the safety shunt. I haven't conected the JetiSpin200's third "anti-spark" line yet but its on the preflight list for this week. I did get a good spark when arming the shunt but its not so bad when you know its coming.

Safety Shunt Detail-John, aka ESB-help taught me how to rig safety shunts to provide a positive method of cutting off power to the prop in pre-post flight. Now all our planes have them and its a great source of peace of mind knowing that the lipos are cut off completely. Here are some shots of the safety we installed on the TF P-51 which sits under the fuselage at the fore of the wing root.

Old Sep 02, 2007, 07:34 PM
Tragic case
Sydney Australia
Joined Feb 2002
5,866 Posts
Very nice safety shunt. Will use that myself.
davidleitch is offline Find More Posts by davidleitch
Old Sep 02, 2007, 08:12 PM
I'm Charged!
The end of the Oregon trail
Joined Jan 2001
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleitch
Very nice safety shunt. Will use that myself.
Ditto that, I don't like relying on the radio (Rx) switch with these Kilowatt power systems.Never had a problem, I just don't trust it.

Jeff
megawatt is offline Find More Posts by megawatt
Old Sep 02, 2007, 08:18 PM
USA, VA, Arlington
Joined Jul 2002
421 Posts
I started using these Maxx Products safety shunts;
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html#Harness
and they brought real peace of mind knowing that the lipos were totally cut off from the prop and other drains of their precious voltage. For rigs above 8s I really prefer to have 13 gauge silicon wire and 5.5mm bullet connectors so I had to make the shunt myself. Its not pretty but it works. BTW a great source of cheap shrink tubing in all sizes is on eBay;
http://stores.ebay.com/Heat-Shrink-Tubing
Old Sep 03, 2007, 04:08 AM
Norge, Østfold, Moss
Joined Jan 2001
282 Posts
Electric P-51D

This is mine. Axi 5330/18 with 10 LiPo in seres.

Sture
Sture Smidt is offline Find More Posts by Sture Smidt
Old Sep 03, 2007, 05:29 AM
hul
Switzerland
Joined Mar 2003
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxLife
Pitch setting? We ran this maiden on 10 degrees.
at the tips, I assume? That would be about 13.3" pitch. My calcs give between 5 and 7kW depending on how well the pack holds volts. No wonder you have plenty of power....

Hans
hul is offline Find More Posts by hul
Old Sep 03, 2007, 07:21 AM
USA, VA, Arlington
Joined Jul 2002
421 Posts
Sture Smidt, nice plane thanks for joining in. What kind of prop and what does it produce Amps, Watts? How long are you able to fly? What is your AUW? What ESC are you using?

hul, I'd love to know more about your calculations (MotoCalc?) what kind of watts, amps do you think this produces? (silly question I know since I have the plane, I should just go measure it but I love the idea that somebody actually understands the math!) What kind of flight time? The packs are ThunderPower Extreme series 6s 9000 mAh. I hook 2 in series for 12s, 9000 mAh. After that 4 minute maiden flight I replaced 2000 mAh to each pack upon recharge. Preflight voltage was 25.2 per pack and 23v after the flight. And where are you in Switzerland? We have some family in Wintertur and Lugano.
Old Sep 03, 2007, 08:03 AM
Norge, Østfold, Moss
Joined Jan 2001
282 Posts
Specs

10S 3700 mAh 6 minutes flying time (will buy 5000mAh packs soon)
8.5kg
200km/h (measured)
18x12 APC-E
Robart retracts

Sture
Sture Smidt is offline Find More Posts by Sture Smidt