Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 24, 2002, 09:20 AM
Formerly Black96Z
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2002
765 Posts
Speed controller failure killed my bandit, and almost my other plane

Well, Yesterday I was flying my bandit. 5th flight. I was doing the usual high speed passes and whatever, wooing the gas guys. Then as I was pulling up I lost total control of the aircraft. Then it started coming down. I started yelling for everyone to clear out. the plane hit the ground at about 80-100 MPH. strait in, concrete road. Peices of the plane went every direction. it some how manages to miss my camaro and my Venus, hitting in the 10 foot space between them. Right where the curb was. So as I am taking the walk of shame to the the plane (200-300 feet or so) I pick up parts of the prop, then the Hacker GB and front plate. Then I found the speed control. Then the battery pack. When I get to the plane. I started sifting through the peices looking for the rest of my hacker, reciever, and anything else. I don't think that that 'repairing bandit fuse' thread will help this one.

Here are some pics.
Heli Slime is offline Find More Posts by Heli Slime
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2002, 09:21 AM
Formerly Black96Z
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2002
765 Posts
wing
Old Nov 24, 2002, 09:21 AM
Formerly Black96Z
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2002
765 Posts
back of fuse
Old Nov 24, 2002, 09:22 AM
Formerly Black96Z
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2002
765 Posts
front of fuse
Old Nov 24, 2002, 09:25 AM
Formerly Black96Z
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2002
765 Posts
Some guy came up to me about 10 minutes later with the rest of the Hacker, said it was down by his truck about 100 feet away. the internals looked OK. I pressed it back together at the field and it spun in my hand just as smooth as before. I thinkthat if the windings are OK then it will be fine.

Now I'm looking for a replacment plane that can be flown with a Hacker B40-8s/4.4GB any suggestions? Anything faster than this was?

David
Old Nov 24, 2002, 09:51 AM
in front of p c
Joined Aug 2002
151 Posts
why

why do you think it was the esc? it sounds like you knew it was the trouble!

will you be using one again??

another thing that puzzles me;;; its my understanding that on most all rx you can plug in an extra battery into any open chanell port to run more than one pack,,,,
sooo if its the red wire on the esc that provides power to the rx,,,why do most guys suggest to pull out the power supply from the esc when running a seperate rx pack,,,,would it not be the same as running two packs in parallel?? and if that were the case,why couldnt you just simply run a small rx pack along with your esc to prevent another accident?[or maybe your life!]

sorry about the bandit but these things scare me and it is starting to distact my thinking at the flying field,,i dont think you wowed the gassers,in fact they will probiably stay clear of e-flight now

im glad to see your still keen though!! i guess its true,,,, death gives meaning to life!

thanks for your post but lets try to be more carefull in respect to our fellow flyers and get rid of that pec[plane eliminating curcuit]

fledge
fledge is offline Find More Posts by fledge
Old Nov 24, 2002, 11:02 AM
Formerly Black96Z
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2002
765 Posts
Actually it still wowed everyone...... My Venus does it even more. After the bandit crashed I still flew the Venus twice and wowed the gassers some more.

I know it was the ESC because when I looked inside I could see the burnt up chip next to the BEC circut. 99% of the time when they burn out it won't affect the BEC, but some solder from the blown curcuit shorted out the BEC area on the controller.
Old Nov 24, 2002, 11:11 AM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,901 Posts
Re: why

Quote:
Originally posted by fledge
why do most guys suggest to pull out the power supply from the esc when running a seperate rx pack
Cause if you don't, the power from the battery pack, back feeds into the ESC and lets the 'smoke' out.
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Nov 24, 2002, 11:52 AM
in front of p c
Joined Aug 2002
151 Posts
mmmmm

thanks for the info on the bec guys ,seems to me like someone needs to come up with a better [sure] system,,,man thats scarey
i wonder if there will ever be a sure thing its a hard one to swallow
i have heard things about ubec also that only promote seperate rx packs

on a plane like the bandit,would it really hurt to carry a little extra weight? i mean,you would sink a little faster but most of the bandits i have seen are either climbing or diving??

fledge
fledge is offline Find More Posts by fledge
Old Nov 24, 2002, 12:02 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,901 Posts
fledge,

http://www.koolflightsystems.com/ultimatebec.htm
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Nov 24, 2002, 07:01 PM
Kou
Andover,MA.,USA
Joined Aug 2001
735 Posts
Which ESC were you using ?

Which ESC were you using ? Why do you think it fail ? Is it over current ?

MK
Kou is offline Find More Posts by Kou
Old Nov 24, 2002, 08:25 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,343 Posts
Re: Re: why

Quote:
Originally posted by William A
Cause if you don't, the power from the battery pack, back feeds into the ESC and lets the 'smoke' out.
Not so if you remove the red wire from the ESC and then use a Rx battery.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Nov 24, 2002, 08:53 PM
"HE CRASHES"
Hasbrouck Hts, New Jersey , United States
Joined Oct 2000
974 Posts
Sorry to see your loss of a Bandit. I was just flying mine tda.
I have a rule that I follow, when I pull more than 30 amps, I run a seperate pack. I do not trust the bec at those power levels. Sure you can get a 70 amp esc with bec, but why trust it for the cost of you plane if it cuts out. A 300 NimH 4 cell pack weighs less than 2 oz and is not that much of a concern at those power levels. Just have to remember to charge your recvr pack before you fly. If you have a charger that has 2 outputs , then you can charge your flight batteries and you recvr pack at the same time.
GoodTill is offline Find More Posts by GoodTill