HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2002, 08:55 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Who'd like to contribute to the FAQ?

Particularly, I'd like to change the info on charging to include the newer cell technology (Lithiums are only touched on in the existing document), and be very specific on charging requirements and for the various cell types.

Would also like some guidelines on selecting cells for an application. Here's what I'm thinking - a 'flow chart' type approach that will help a user select a cell for a particular application, with "good, better, best" type choices. Not for a specific cell, however, but for a chemistry and capacity, based on typical current delivery rates. Similar to the 50W/lb rule, with all the modifiers for gearboxes, etc., depending on the style of model.

Feel free to use this topic to post the responses, or send them by email to me for editing and inclusion.
Thanks!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2002, 08:11 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
71 views and not one volunteer, eh?
..a
Old Nov 25, 2002, 08:58 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,836 Posts
Hi Andy,

I'll be happy to do the battery charging update. Hopefully, we can find someone else to do the battery selection charts.

Contact me,

Q
Quacker is online now Find More Posts by Quacker
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 25, 2002, 11:11 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Thx, Q.
Anyone for the selection piece? Doesn't have to be carved in stone, just guidelines for choosing different chemistry and capacity based on current draw.
..a
Old Nov 26, 2002, 10:11 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
Heck, I'm no whiz bang....

Andy

I'm no whiz bang at this stuff, but I've used nicad, nimhs, and a bit of lithium ion polymer as well as Tadirans a while back in over 3 dozen power setups and I'm a long time modeler. Haven't used Li-ion- don't plan to at this point. I'm also a pro writer, so the writing end of stuff is pretty easy for me. Maybe if we've got a battery guru who's a little unsure of his/her writing skills, we've got a workable partnership?

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Nov 26, 2002, 10:45 AM
Joined Jul 2001
2,836 Posts
I'm well on the way to editing/updating the battery FAQ. We still need a volunteer to do the battery applications. Anybody out there?

Q
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2002, 06:07 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,400 Posts
Are you interested in linking to external sources of information like this?
http://www.cadex.com/download/charging.pdf
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Nov 28, 2002, 09:37 PM
Joined Jul 2001
2,836 Posts
Thanks for the link. In all good conscience, I am cautioned about some of the information offered in this paper. The negative pulse commentary is especially suspect since although it has been studied by many people in some detail, no scientific test has ever proven any benefit to this technique. The term "snake oil" comes to mind whenever I see claims for this. Moreover, if there were any gain, it must be pretty small to have eluded so many investigators.

Regards,
Q
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 28, 2002, 10:31 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,400 Posts
There was a recent PhD sponsored by NASA confirming that burp charging had a measurable benefit in NiMH. I don't remember the differences being large enough to matter to us, but never the less, they exist. The cycle life is greatly extended.

I have found Dr. Buchmann extremely conservative if anything. Of course, his forte is reliability and long cycle life. I wish he didn't have the ad in there.

Rick.
Last edited by rpage53; Nov 28, 2002 at 10:44 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2002, 11:10 AM
Joined Jul 2001
2,836 Posts
Great. I'm really interested in the NASA research. can you point me to it?

Yeah, the ad taints it, doesn't it?
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 29, 2002, 11:18 AM
Joined Jul 2001
2,836 Posts
Anyway, Andy...

It's really not for me to say whether eZone wants to link to other sources of information. I just signed up to revise and update the FAQ. I think we need an official call.

Q
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 29, 2002, 06:12 PM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
If it helps the decision any, the FAQ already contains quite a few external links, e.g. to Sanyo and Panasonic battery info. Those particular links are now out of date which is one of the problems with putting such things in a document that is intended to hang around for a while.

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Nov 29, 2002, 06:59 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
What he said. I'm not looking to include ground-breaking technology or practices, but to ensure that information we see repeated often in the forums is provided in advance to those who read the FAQ.
..a
Old Nov 29, 2002, 09:06 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,761 Posts
You didn't like what I came up with?

Andy

You didn't like what I came up with? Is there any way we can post it and request comments from others?

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Nov 30, 2002, 12:41 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Quacker
Great. I'm really interested in the NASA research. can you point me to it?
It should show up under UMI's dissertation services, but the online version doesn't seem to work for me http://tls.il.proquest.com/hp/Support/DServices/
If I get to the University I'll look it up there. It should show up under burp charging.

The figures at the bottom look like they are from the dissertation:
http://www.rahq.com/chrginfo.htm

Rick.

OK Found it posted by a charger manufacturer
http://www.galaxypower.com/organization/NASA-II.pdf
Last edited by rpage53; Nov 30, 2002 at 12:53 PM.