Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 31, 2007, 03:00 PM
Beginner
Toronto (GTA)
Joined Jun 2007
56 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite Extra 260 vs. GP Extra 300

I am looking at getting into 3D flying with a profile foamie.

Great Planes' Extra 300 is bigger than E-Flite's Extra 260 3D and it costs the same. Can someone give an opinion on these 2 planes, which one is better value. Also for a beginner which one is easier and more resilient ? Can they be flown indoors in a Gym ??

Thanks for your help.
Katz6768 is offline Find More Posts by Katz6768
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2007, 04:26 PM
D/FW
Joined Aug 2004
703 Posts
If you're talking about the Great Planes Flatout Extra, you may want to reconsider. They are hard to build unless you are prepared to throw out all of their hardware and use your own stuff. E-Flite planes are usually easy to build, so that might be a better bet for you. I'm sure both planes fly well and I'm sure either one will fly inside a gym with a lightweight setup. You may also want to consider the E-Flite Sobre. I've heard a lot of people speak highly of that plane.
JoeDirtRC is offline Find More Posts by JoeDirtRC
Old Aug 31, 2007, 07:01 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,171 Posts
I just won a GreatPlanes Flat-out Extra in a club raffle... they're only $19.99.. the Eflte is considerably more I think. I own a few EFlite planes and I like them alot.. on the other hand though.. a $19 plane is a steely price too.. (this just in!!) The Eflite 260 is at $44.95.... and all in all is probably a better plane.. .. but the GP330 should fly fine if it's handled as it should be. Actually I sometimes buy 2 identical planes.. one to beat up and learn... the next for a longer lasting better flying plane.. and so far..it's worked out well.. and for that $19 bucks.. I'd probably go that route. Good luck.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Sep 01, 2007, 08:33 AM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
The eflite plane has all the work done for you, assembles in an hour or two. The flatouts take alot longer to build, and don't crash well. I took the eflite extra out trying to put an end to it last night, and it took a direct hit from a slowstick, requiring only a new prop to fly again. Its been crashed numerous times, including a half power nose in from 50 feet, and it is still flying. My turmoil lasted exactly one crash.
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Sep 04, 2007, 12:10 PM
Beginner
Toronto (GTA)
Joined Jun 2007
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katz6768
I am looking at getting into 3D flying with a profile foamie.

Great Planes' Extra 300 is bigger than E-Flite's Extra 260 3D and it costs the same. Can someone give an opinion on these 2 planes, which one is better value. Also for a beginner which one is easier and more resilient ? Can they be flown indoors in a Gym ??
Thanks for the answers. I made a mistake initially, the E-Flite plane costs twice what the Great Planes' costs. There are both cheap, I don't mind paying more for the E-Flite if it is easier to build and better quality.
Katz6768 is offline Find More Posts by Katz6768
Old Sep 04, 2007, 12:12 PM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katz6768
Thanks for the answers. I made a mistake initially, the E-Flite plane costs twice what the Great Planes' costs. There are both cheap, I don't mind paying more for the E-Flite if it is easier to build and better quality.

go with the eflite extra--but for better flying everyone has told me the sobre is the way to go----my extra flew great though.
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero