Old Aug 30, 2007, 02:20 PM
26 flights
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2007
34 Posts
Discussion
Easiest electric powered glider?

Hello,

What's the easiest electric powered glider?

I have a little experience flying the Wing Dragon, and I'd like to switch to a cooler looking, thermal-riding plane, with either 3 or 4 channels.

I also have a 72 MHz radio, a brushless 15A ESC, a pair of 2 cell Li-Po, a pair of 7 cell Ni-Mh. It would be nice (and economical) to use them on the new one, but I don't necessarily have to.

Thanks
Eduardo
Eduardo07 is offline Find More Posts by Eduardo07
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2007, 02:22 PM
26 flights
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2007
34 Posts
PS: For those who read my other post about a 4 channel trainer, I think I changed my mind and 4 channels doesn't matter so much now. What I really want is to just have fun thermalling!
Old Aug 30, 2007, 02:26 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
i don't know about ease, but this could be fun for ya:

http://multiplexusa.com/models/ParkFliers/Cularis.htm

quite large, too.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Aug 30, 2007, 02:46 PM
26 flights
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2007
34 Posts
Thanks lowdive. I'd need a lot more experience to fly that one... I really need a beginner's plane.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 03:14 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,542 Posts
maybe their smaller, easyglider?

http://multiplexusa.com/models/ParkF...asyGliderE.htm
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Aug 30, 2007, 03:23 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
A nice step up from the wing dragon would be the EasyStar or the Wingo.

I'd recommend going ahead and getting the 4+ channel radio to allow for later progression.

The Goldberg Electra would be a VERY easy to fly plane. Using LiPo and brushless instead of the old speed 500 and 6 cell RC car style battery would make it thermal very well.

There are a lot of options...
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Sep 01, 2007, 04:38 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,058 Posts
Suggest minimum 2 meter 6 foot size...

My first flights were with gliders, some without motors at all, simply launch with histart etc, thermaling is great fun, I would suggest one at least 2 meter size (6 foot)...easiest one with power was the old Top Cat, rather heavy model, but assembled very fast almost RTF, could stumble on to an old kit at small hobby store, instead of electric had the 049 engine..in a strong thermal this one was up near an hour needed binocs at the top of the thermal, amazing flight...

You can thermal with many of the trainers out there, larger wingload, not the effective lift of gliders but find I'm seeking thermal activity nearly each flight, still hooked, Super Cub and Phantom several times nearly out of site with below 1/2 throttle, adds to flight time and great fun...<>..

Hint on the ground you can feel a thermal during the daytime, will feel a strong breeze or wind, them few minutes later same breeze during a calm day, strong thermals the planes wing will tilt away from the edge of a thermal, for strong ones even downstick into them plane lifts quickly, awsume...<>..
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Sep 01, 2007, 11:19 AM
Joined Jan 2007
715 Posts
I stepped from a Wing Dragon to an Easy Glider, and LOVED it. IMO, that's totally the way to go.
ratb is offline Find More Posts by ratb
Old Sep 02, 2007, 02:54 PM
Davis, CA
Joined Dec 2006
274 Posts
Yes, EasyGlider Electric is, well, easy to fly However, with a four channel radio you won't be able to use spoilerons. This means that you will need plenty of space to land - especially at the beginning.

My setup draws 20 amps from a 3s lipo, but this is more power that is really needed for this glider.
brtlmj is offline Find More Posts by brtlmj
Old Oct 02, 2007, 12:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2007
405 Posts
get a Push-e Cat, its made of EPP foam, will be around long after a easy star's busted up an in trash, its a pain to build, instructions suck, but theres a thread on here with alot of nice people who will help you out, "if i can do it, anyone can, LOL " . an they fly great, thermals good to, an way motor mounts made, you can swap out to almost any motor real easy.

http://www.polecataero.com/products/push-e-cat/
hermitscave is offline Find More Posts by hermitscave
Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:56 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,464 Posts
The Hawk - $250 - RTF - includes everything.
Brushless, Lipo, charger and radio
It don't much easier than that!
http://epyaya.com/product_info.php?products_id=2441
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 25, 2007 at 04:37 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:08 PM
Joined Oct 2007
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtlmj
Yes, EasyGlider Electric is, well, easy to fly However, with a four channel radio you won't be able to use spoilerons. This means that you will need plenty of space to land - especially at the beginning.

My setup draws 20 amps from a 3s lipo, but this is more power that is really needed for this glider.
Easy Glider is the way to go. I maidened mine last Sunday and was in too much of a hurry to program in the spoilerons... Big mistake. I fly in a large area surrounded by trees and had to circle three times to get her down. The easy glider is a true floater and like the name says very easy to fly. get a transmitter like the hitec Optic 6 so you don't have to y harness the ailerons. This will allow you to program in spoilerons.
planeaddiction is offline Find More Posts by planeaddiction
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:20 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
I got to fly one of these the other weekend and it took a real beating. The game was 'Peg the plane with a nerf football'. Super easy to fly.
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:48 PM
Joined Oct 2007
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66tbird
I got to fly one of these the other weekend and it took a real beating. The game was 'Peg the plane with a nerf football'. Super easy to fly.
you must be an easy going guy. If someone pegged my plane with a football I'd peg THEM with the easy glider

The look only has a 40" wingspan though.
planeaddiction is offline Find More Posts by planeaddiction