HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2007, 04:38 AM
Italy
Joined Sep 2004
791 Posts
Build Log
Adding KF wing to Chara TBC (Twin Boom Cutie)

All started looking here , and reading this .

This is just my modest contribute to the great Chara plan.

Franky
frankyfly is offline Find More Posts by frankyfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2007, 06:54 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Looks cool, but also looks hard to balance.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:23 AM
Italy
Joined Sep 2004
791 Posts
Hi Gene,

from my glide test see were is the CoG.
It shoul not be difficult to balance it, I hope.

Franky
Old Aug 29, 2007, 03:59 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Hey Franky, where did you dig that one out? I have obviously "lost" the TBC thread in the old forum
Also sorry for the late response, I was on holidays the past few days. ...In Italy actually, maybe not far from your home

Gene has a keen sense for potential problems The TBC was in deed a bit difficult to balance out with the light battery pack. I had to use the 1200 instead of the planned 850mAh. If you have a very heavy motor you might consider a tractor configuration however...

If I recall correctly best CG was a bit more forward than what you have shown in the pic. But as I understand, the KF foil is more CG tolerant than a flat foil, so it might balance out more easily.

All together it was a great flier with good response on the controls and a wide speed range. Good luck Franky, hope you will have a great time with your TBC, which looks really great by the way.
(I wonder how the KFm works so keep us updated)
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:31 PM
Italy
Joined Sep 2004
791 Posts
Chara it glides perfectly as I located my CG.

I will report on the first flight. Hope this is going to happen soon (waiting for a blu motor).

Franky

P.S.: I cannot see your in flight video on the old thread. Can you post a new link for it ?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 05:24 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
farnky, here you go...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735744

I remember that hand launching was also a bit challenging because the hand was very close to the propeller. So watch your fingers!
I used to launch it with motor cut-off and throttled up as soon as I got my hands back to the transmitter. (I always felt that design was crying for a cool tail dragger landing gear and ROG - but I usually fly above tall grass)

Also start with moderate rates on the ailerons, they were pretty responsive. And if it tends to porpoise up and down you might want to shift CG more forward.

good luck!
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Last edited by chara; Aug 30, 2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 05:18 AM
Italy
Joined Sep 2004
791 Posts
Safety TIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
farnky, here you go...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735744

I remember that hand launching was also a bit challenging because the hand was very close to the propeller. So watch your fingers!
I used to launch it with motor cut-off and throttled up as soon as I got my hands back to the transmitter. (I always felt that design was crying for a cool tail dragger landing gear and ROG - but I usually fly above tall grass)

Also start with moderate rates on the ailerons, they were pretty responsive. And if it tends to porpoise up and down you might want to shift CG more forward.

good luck!
Chara I thoght about this. That's why I added a "grab point" underside the belly.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:59 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
Here is a plane I just downloaded for the great free sim RC desk pilot . Looks like a fun little plane. Maybe, some of you have not seen it as neither had I.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf