HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2007, 09:40 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
New Product
1941 Chris-Craft Hydro - Review

I've been in the mood for a new Chris-Craft lately, so the timing at Dumas couldn't have been better. Today, the new 1941 Chris-Craft 16' Hydroplane kit landed right on my door step! I've known it was coming for awhile now and have been chomping at the bit to get started.

The kit is done in 1:8 scale for a length of 24" and a beam of 8 1/2". I could see right from the start that the Hydro is going to build much lighter then earlier offerings, so it should run at least as well, if not better then the 19' Racing Runabout -- which run GREAT!

Upon first inspection I could see some nice improvements over some of the earlier releases. First, there's no mahogany luan plywood in this one. The frames and keel are of standard 2mm light ply. Another improvemant is that the hull is skinned in 1mm and 2mm Sintra rather then balsa planks or ply. Sintra isn't new, but it sure is easier to work with then the wood sub-planking in the earlier offerings.

And finally, Dumas' instructions have always been complete and well illustrated, but this kits' instructions are better then anything I've seen so far, and includes a second detail drawing package containing 59 illustration drawings. Most of these drawings are isometric views of specific details and sub assemblies including detailed radio installation drawings.

Beyond that, the model builds in the typical Dumas fashion, and includes the standard hardware and fitting packages we're all so familiar with.

Enough talking about it, let's get started!
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Last edited by P. Tritle; Sep 16, 2007 at 07:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2007, 09:45 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Oooo, you lucky dog!!! Looking forward to seeing this come together, Pat!

I see Tower now shows them in stock!!!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 28, 2007, 09:49 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Framing the Hull

Construction begins with the cockpit floor and wall supports, and the steering wheel support setup being glued in place on the cockpit formers. The deck sheer is then pinned to the board and the formers and forward keel added.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 09:52 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
The light ply looks very cleanly cut!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 09:55 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Working Aft

The aft formers are added along with the typical butterfly keel found in nearly all the Dumas Chris-Crafts. The chine is added using a dye cut lite ply section, followed by the hardwood battons on the aft hull sides. From here it's down to trimming and shaping the frames and it'll be ready to start skinning.

PAT
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:00 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Aero, The light ply is a huge improvement over the old luan ply used in years past. In fact, not having that stuff in the kit leaves the impression of an extremely high quality kit. It also weighs about half what the old stuff did, which means that between the lite ply frame and Sintra skin that this boat is going to buildup very light -- and that means fast!

BTW, when I found out the kit was up for review I offered to get down on both knees and beg if necessary. Fortunately, it didn't come down to grovelling, though I would have done that too if it had become absolutely necessary!!!

PAT
Last edited by P. Tritle; Aug 28, 2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:10 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Looks like you are already making super progress, Pat!

Getting a little ahead, do you plan to power this one with the Dumas high speed motor or will you go brushless?
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:12 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Here's the link to Tower Hobbies http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSDW9&P=7

PAT
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:16 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
I hope my order is in!!!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 10:25 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Aero, Since this is a straight up review, I plan to go with the standard 6V High Speed motor and a Hitek EZX-R ESC and will use the 6 cell 3300 NiMH battery I use in all the others. Might even try it once or twice on the 7 cell 3300 just for grins.

PAT
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:31 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Sounds good- I imagine performance with 'stock' power will be pleasing with this boat appearing to be lighter than the others in the line up!
Old Aug 28, 2007, 11:47 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,135 Posts
Sintra??? http://tri-dee.com/sintra_plastic_pvc.htm Seems to be the new plywood.
woodybob is online now Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Aug 29, 2007, 07:55 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Woodybob, I agree. Sintra is just about the best thing Dumas has ever come up with for sub-planking these new boats. It was also used for the decks and superstructure on the Lackawanna and Jersey City kits which made finishing the top side a breeze.

Having worked with styrene for many years, the thought of working with plastic didn't scare me at all. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how truely easy Sintra was to work with. And it's almost like it was designed especially to be glued with Cya. Yep, it's great stuff!

PAT
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:29 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Woodybob, I agree. Sintra is just about the best thing Dumas has ever come up with for sub-planking these new boats. It was also used for the decks and superstructure on the Lackawanna and Jersey City kits which made finishing the top side a breeze.

Having worked with styrene for many years, the thought of working with plastic didn't scare me at all. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how truely easy Sintra was to work with. And it's almost like it was designed especially to be glued with Cya. Yep, it's great stuff!

PAT

Hey Pat,don't forget the cabin and pilot house on the Rangely
charlie eaton is online now Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:58 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,545 Posts
Charlie, Yep, and probably the Whitehall too

PAT